4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful blending of the dystopian and the literary - but doesn't add much to its predecessors
I'm a big fan of Margaret Atwood. he quality of her prose, her characters, and her imagination is such that she writes some of the few realistic, contemporary tales that I'm happy to read, but I think she's at her best when she's writing full-blown science-fiction with a literary edge. While the Handmaid's Tale is probably the best known example of this, I actually prefer...
Published 12 months ago by Georgiana89

3.0 out of 5 stars Weakest of the three
I ama huge fan of the first two books in the trilogy and was eagerly awaiting the third installment.

I found it really disappointing, Zeb is the least interesting of the characters and the reality surrounding the characters in the ruined world would have been far more interesting that the contstant flashbacks to a sideline character.
Published 15 months ago by S. Chadwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Atwood must have had fun writing this wonderful novel, 19 Sep 2013
I Readalot (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful conclusion to the story of `Oryx and Crake', highly readable and at the same time thought provoking. `Maddaddam' is the final instalment of a trilogy and it brings the other 2 together, you really have to read `Oryx and Crake' and `The Year of the Flood' first. It has been a few years since I read the other two and I found the short recap of each story at the start an invaluable reminder.

While reading it I felt that Atwood was really enjoying herself while writing `Maddaddam', it is so much fun to read. Once section in particular had me laughing so much that I had to put the book down for a few moments to wipe my eyes, I can't write the heading in full as it would stop this review being published but it is `The Story of Zeb and ...' under the main heading of `Blacklight Headlamp', to the Crakers it is just a word that has accidentally been assigned a completely different meaning. Having said that the tone changes towards the end and it almost had me in tears for a completely different reason, I would call it poignant rather than sad though.

In this novel Atwood reminds us of the origin of storytelling, the oral tradition, as Toby takes over the role of storyteller from `The Snowman', or `Snowman-the-Jimmy', as the Crakers call him. I feel such affection for the Crakers, I love them for their innocence and curiosity, their blue genitalia and inbuilt insect repellent. But I also fear for them and their survival.

Even though this is the final part of the trilogy I really hope that Atwood revisits this world again sometime, I am going to miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: MaddAddam (Hardcover)
Margaret Atwood is always a brilliant read. I could not put the book down. But then all Margaret Atwood books are like that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atwood always worth a read!, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
Wonderful to spend time in the weird, witty, thought-provoking world of pigoon & Crakers as humanity goes down the pan but strange combos live on in a planet that still survives...

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy avid fan, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
I don't think I want to write too much in case I say too much, but I loved "Oryx and Crake" and "The Year of the Flood" and have enjoyed this addition to the trilogy. Atwood adds more colour to the slightly scary vision of the future in this book as we meet some familiar characters and follow their lives after the beach

5.0 out of 5 stars better than I expected, 19 Dec 2014
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
Many reviews were negative but I was keen to see her saga to the finish and once again the new viewpoints gave valuable insights most especially the innocence of the Craker ones being wisely hilarious. I'll miss this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a fantastic tale of the future with all the characters from ..., 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
The third in the Oryx and Crake trilogy, this is a fantastic tale of the future with all the characters from the previous two books brought together. I have read and re-read it since it came out in hardback last year.

5.0 out of 5 stars stays with you - memorable and thought inspiring, 19 Dec 2014
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
i loved this whole series, whilst science fiction/utopian is not usually my thing her imagination and creativity means these books are still on my minb a long time after reading. superb!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked the setting and the characters, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
Thanks for the whole series. I read all three books in the trilogy over a few weeks and I think that I got more out of them that way. I liked the setting and the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
I have come to expect a high standard from reading Margaret's other books and As before this book is just a
as gripping as the others. This is a lady who can write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Dec 2014
This review is from: MaddAddam (Kindle Edition)
As per usual a fantastic book with great wild ideas, wonderful read. I have only read one other in the series and you don't need to read them to still enjoy this book.

MaddAddam
MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood (Hardcover - 29 Aug 2013)