5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it sets out to do perfectly
I didn't quite know what to expect when I bought this book. It could've been another poor attempt to cash in on a popular TV cookery show, but it's actually an awful lot more than that and very impressive. The book is laid out very well, the food photography is excellent and the recipes are clear and concise. There is a good introductory chapter covering ingredients,...
Published 14 months ago by red0209

1.0 out of 5 stars NO TABLE OF CONTENTS OR INDEX
I wish I'd bought the real book as this is virtually unusable as there's no index - not even an unclickable one - so there's nowhere I can see the whole contents of this book. Only way to browse is main sections, then sub-sections from there.

Published 20 months ago by Beeab

‹ Previous | 1 2 370 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars essential help for novices, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
this is an excellent book for someone wishing to start baking informative and easy to follow instructions.One word of warning however i bought this book along with 100 great breads by the same author and found a lot of things were repeated in both

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent starter's guide but will also suit the more experienced., 11 Oct 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
A large hardback book printed on paper intended to be read and used in that the construction is quite substantial and likely to withstand regular use in the kitchen.

As the book is partly a beginner's guide to baking, it includes advice about ingredients, equipment, methods and anything relevant to the art of baking. The first and largest part deals with breads of many different types and nationalities, not just traditional British, and the later section deals with everything else, including cakes, pies and tarts - sweet and savoury, biscuits and others less easy to classify other than mostly as desserts. Again, these are international. One recipe that may please many is that for Sausage Rolls which will probably be better than anything shop-bought.

As this book contains the elements of a beginner's guide, and I have been baking cakes, pies and tarts for in excess of 30 years and bread for almost as long, why do I need such a book? I don't specifically need the advice section, although there may be something in there that is fresh and new, but it is access to some of his personal recipes that I wanted plus a greater insight into his techniques. I have only once tasted a loaf from his bakery (bought by my then host for the evening) and it had a flavour and texture I had not experienced since childhood.

It is a sad fact that most of Britain's bread is now the pre-wrapped, made-by-the-million, tasteless and texture-less sandwich loaf. As a nation, we have largely forgotten how real bread smells, looks and tastes. The supermarkets don't help much as their 'store-baked' bread is not as store-baked as many think. The loaves are made and part-baked in a factory, chilled or frozen and delivered to the stores where they are thawed as needed and finished for 5-10 minutes, as instructed. There are very few places where real bread can be bought but you can make it yourself as it is neither as difficult or as time-consuming as some believe. This book may help resolve that as Hollywood has tried to do with his business, although in a small way.

There are some techniques, sourdough for example, which I have never been able to successfully employ. A requirement is good air quality and an abundance of air-borne yeasts and fermenting bacteria which exists in some locales, but not all. A heavily built-up area such as that where I reside is not conducive to sourdough methods and every previous attempt has failed.

A wide variety of recipes, intensive personal experience translated into practical advice, and a home-grown, British-born baker with a solid reputation as the author will make this a valuable addition to my cookery collection.

Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO TABLE OF CONTENTS OR INDEX, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: How to Bake (Kindle Edition)

First Kindle cookbook I've bought and will never buy another one based on this. Would like my money back for this so I can buy the real book.

Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and great for beginners, 11 July 2012
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I am a fairly novice baker - not a complete beginner, but not very adventurous. I think this book is great for several reasons: it has extremely clear, easy-to-follow step by step photographs which is excellent for the trickier things that I would not usually attempt without such guidance, like croissants. I think there's a good balance between breads and other things like cakes, pastries etc, and there are some things that I will be trying that it would not otherwise have occurred to me to bake myself (e.g. the wonderful-looking grape and stilton flatbreads). It's a very beautiful book too, in my opinion, the photographs are just mouth-watering and I love the design. Aside from that, all I've tried so far is the basic white tin loaf, and it was excellent. If you want to get into baking, I think this is a great book. If you know loads already, it's probably not the one for you because you'll be familiar with most of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, mostly bread., 18 Jan 2013
Maxine Smith (Warrington, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
Recipes work very well and I've made some fantastic loaves. Book is mostly about bread though so if you bought it for general baking you might be disappointed. Up to page 160 it's bread, pages 160 to 190 it's enriched bread such as brioche, 191 to 298 it's biscuits, puddings and cakes. That's more than 60 percent bread. Definitely recommend though if you want to lovely bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
I purchased the book after reading the reviews. I love baking and since receiving this book my bread making has improved by 100 percent. Already made Ciabatta (will never buy it again) followed by sourdough, milk loaf (so easy)'brioche (another batch of dough is in the fridge as I write this). Turned my attention to hot cross buns but made it into a loaf to toast for breakfast.

This weekend turned my new skills to make Pithivier house smells wonderful but oh bliss - fresh coffee and Pithivier from the oven (just what a Sunday should be). Tasted of almonds and honeyand if I closed my eyes warm summer days in France.

Final bake this weekend was Mrs Post's lemon drizzle cake (will take that to the office tomorrow)

Very successful baking - love the book. Can you tell?

4.0 out of 5 stars how to Bake, 12 July 2012
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
An excellent book for a beginner, written in very understandable English. Paul is very appreciative of the fact that giving a detailed recipe is not enough, and he helps the reader to understand the skills needed at every stage.
Giving a recipe to ten people could result in ten different levels in the end product, but Paul helps to reduce that possibility by his explanations. A super present for any keen novice, or anyone wanting to improve their existing knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars fool proof, 3 May 2014
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
i have to say I am a bit silly when it comes to baking and this explains all the process perfectly and easily, my only issue now is my oven... lol

5.0 out of 5 stars good choice good book!, 25 April 2014
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
Loving the variation of food types,. Not just cakes not just bread. Tried a couple of recipes and enjoying the newer type recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars bake, 16 April 2014
This review is from: How to Bake (Hardcover)
Great book and very good recepies easy to follow and its a great buy will be looking out for more of these

‹ Previous | 1 2 370 | Next ›

How to Bake
How to Bake by Paul Hollywood (Hardcover - 5 July 2012)
9.00