5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing in the best possible way
Published on 27 Nov 2006 by Mr. Shon W. Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland
To say anything bad about Neil Gaiman is to incur the wrath of the most committed of fans! I've read a few of his books but find them a bit hit-and-miss. Often, for me, the idea is much better than the actual execution; and Coraline is a case in point.

Not scary enough, not descriptive enough, it didn't tick any of my boxes.
Published 8 months ago by Sarah Durston

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing in the best possible way, 27 Nov 2006
Mr. Shon W. Lewis "Ebony Sky" (Machester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)
I discovered this book a little over four years ago. It was the first Gaimain novel I had come across, and remains--despite my delving into the fascinating depths of Neverwhere's London Below, the dangerous beauty of Stardust's Faerie and all the rest--my absolute favourite of all his works. His clear, unconvuluted style is really allowed to shine through here as this story is primarily for children, giving a wonderfully bleak, chilly feel. Also, Gaiman's masterful tendency of leaving much unexplained and not feeling the need to rationalise the extraordinary is, no doubt one that will appeal to children greatly.

Admittedly, the basic idea of a 'Looking-Glass' world is not original, but the intricacies of the storyline certainly are. This novel has that feel that so many horror films try (and largely fail) to obtain with their demonic children and evil dollies; Coraline is awash with a kind of twisted innocence that is infinitely eerie.

Black buttons have ever since made me edgy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coraline - ultimate spooky pageturner you can't put down, 19 Dec 2005
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)
I was attracted by the amazing artwork on the cover of this book, but was totally unprepared for the surprise inside. It is a pleasure to read out loud and was chosen as a bedtime story for our 8 year old child. OOps - very scary indeed, talking animals, rats singing cautionary tales, haughty cats, an impossibly long key, souls of dead children, the truth seen through a stone with a hole in it...... a girl trapped in a parallel world unable to leave until she rescues her parents.... The Other Mother and Father with large black buttons sewn on their eyelids, waiting to stitch up Coralines eyes..... I'm such a fan, can't you tell. Anyway, some clever person has bought the film rights and I can't wait. There's also a great website.. mousecircus.com Look out for and click on the rats when they scurry over the page, they will sing their chilling song for you. Enjoy if you dare.

5.0 out of 5 stars He's done it again., 17 Oct 2002
This review is from: Coraline (Hardcover)
Neil Gaiman is a fantastic writer and this latest book conjured from his warped imgination proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt.
The story is definetly written for children in mind but Gaiman manages to create an ambience so eerie and chilling that it will have any adult reading with the hairs on the back of their neck standing up.
You'll follow Coraline (Not Caroline!) into a world exactly like hers but counterfeit and with counterfeit parents. A world which wants to keep her there forever and always offering everything a child could wish for. But she's no fool and soon figures that there are things that are just too good to be true. Be it in this world or another.
The book is within the same genre as alice in wonderland but has many original ideas which will dare you to put the book down and not read it in one sitting. I was not up to this dare and finished it within one read. I am now currently reading it to my partner who is enjoying it almost as much as I did!
I'll be buying a copy for all the children and fantasy loving adults I know.
Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland, 20 Oct 2013
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)

Not scary enough, not descriptive enough, it didn't tick any of my boxes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mouse Circus!, 6 Oct 2013
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)
I am falling more and more in love with Neil Gaiman's creations. Coraline. Such a quirky, fun, adventurous young girl with huge imagination who sees right from wrong in a weird world of old houses, brick walls behind the doors, empty snowglobes and buttons instead of eyes. Did I mention singing mice, bat-dogs and a talking cat?

And the hand in the end! You just have to read it to find out all the quirky stuff. And it will only take you half a day. This creepy, a bit frightening tale is an absolute pleasure to read. It is fast paced and very well written. I highly recommend to share "Coraline" with children - but beware, there might be a few sleepless nights in store for them. Compared to The Ocean at the End of the Lane (which I absolutely loved!), I think Coraline is much more suitable for younger readers (I found the slow-motion film was actually scarier than the book).

Enjoyed and recommended!

This paper copy of the book is to treasure - the illustrations are beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbutton your eyes, 21 Oct 2009
L. R. Richardson (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)
My first thought about this book is that I almost wish it wasn't marketed as a children's book. It is very dark and grisly, and had I watched or read this when I was a young girl, I'm pretty sure I would have had nightmares.

A brief synopsis: Coraline Jones moved into part of an old, pink house. Her parents are busy and often neglect her, and she is discontent and lonely. The new house has very strange neighbors, such as a crazy man trying to train a mice circus, and two aging retired theatre actresses who own many Scottie dogs and dream about their lost youth. Coraline finds a small door in her flat that during the day opens up to a brick wall. Yet that night she opens it again and it leads to a parallel world, where she has an "other mother" and "other father" and everything seems to be a dream come true. Yet this world is a twisted, evil mirror world, and once she has fallen into it, she discovers it is very dangerous for her and for her parents.

I love the imagination of Neil Gaiman, even if he does follow the same format over and over--girl or boy stumbles into a hidden mirror world: London Below in Neverwhere, the world in Mirrormask, gods who are actually in the real world like in American Gods and Anansi Boys and The Sandman, the world of magic in The Books of Magic, and the almost separate world in the graveyard of The Graveyard Book. Yet this was a very tidy book--the motifs tie into each other well, no loose ends are left untied, and it definitely develops a sense of suspense in the reader. Gaiman is very good at creating an atmosphere and entertaining his readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS, 15 Oct 2008
Samantha L. Smith (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)
I bought this book (for my daughter) on recommendation. I wasn't sure what to expect. I read it before I gave it to my child as I invariably do. I gave it to her with a smile and a wink and assured her she'd be scared (her idea of a good read! she's 9!) She marched downstairs the next day and declared she didn't know what I was talking about and it wasn't scary. The following morning (after having read a couple more chapters) she gave me the biggest smile and said "it's brilliant! I love it!" Apparently it had then become scary enough for her. :0)
That was 3 weeks ago - now most of her friends mothers have bought it for their children and even her teacher is reading it to the class.
It's just fabulous. I can't recommend this book enough. Buy it! Read it!
We've bought two more Gaiman books now and are eagerly awaiting the release of the film at the cinema next year. What a cracker!

5.0 out of 5 stars wacky,weird and wonderful, 5 Sep 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)
strangely weird but excitingly good. coraline is a short but intense story with so many suprises throughout the chapters. I would put it in my top 10 I could not put down. with a great story line I would recommend it to children over the age of nine as in parts it can be quite scary!!!!!
Kish (aged 10yrs)

4.0 out of 5 stars what a strange story!, 29 May 2008
busy teacher (Lincolnshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)
Read this in preparation as having it as a class story next term. Think the children will really enjoy it even though it has some very bizarre & spooky ideas, not suitable if your child is easily frightened.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPECTACULAR-Best book i have read, 22 Feb 2008
H. A. Alabih "Leila" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coraline (Paperback)
This is an absulotly herrific book! It is weird and scary but at the same time,thrilling and very,very,very,very,very imagianitive!!Trust me-YOU WILL NEVER THINK THE SAME ABOUT BLACK BUTTONS AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Coraline
Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Hardcover - 2 Aug 2012)
5.20