Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 December 2012
This seems to be not that different from the rapture: scary, disturbed children, apocalyptic events. And then the trendy hero of the moment, a gifted aspergery type who has to make sense of it all. Although Liz Jensen probably doesn't know how to write badly, the plot is thin, entirely unconvincing, and held together by drivel about particle physics. The book seems to be a hotch potch of ideas that have worked before, either for the author or other writers. I suppose I enjoyed the eerie atmosphere of the beginning, and some of the characters but enjoyment gradually gave way to irritation as I realisedhow weak and predictable the story was.
on 13 April 2014
I loved the opening sequence of the book and it definitely held me to carry on. I found it an interesting read but Hesketh seemed a bit wishy washy as the lead grown up in a world of apocalyptic children. I kept waiting for the primal hero to come out and properly address the world's woes....sadly his origami was more of a crutch.

There were elements of Lord Of The Flies but without Golding's political tones. I enjoyed it but wanted more from it. The bones and beginnings of a great story are there but there's just something missing.
on 24 April 2014
I literally could not put this book down. The writing is so compelling and well-crafted. The lead character is well thought-out and sympathetic. He put me very much in mind of 'The Tale of the Dog in the Night-time' as he has Asperger's Syndrome and sees the world in a slightly detatched, but very detailed way.
Gripping, moving and ultimately informative and certainly makes you think about just what we are doing as humanity in its entirety.
Cannot wait to read her other stuff. Brilliant!
on 29 January 2015
I have given it a 3 although 2.5 would be more appropriate as not sure if I liked it or not. Never read a book I am so I sure of. I liked the main character as his awkwardness with people and social situations. Confused by the meaning of the story and specifically the ending. Kept me reading through my uncertainty, so I will leave it to personal choice. Either a love it, hate it or an in between but definitely worth a try just for the bizarreness of it. lol.
on 21 September 2013
This is a page-turner (is that an oxymoron on a Kindle?).
I completed it in two sittings, which would have been one if the first slot hadn't been time-limited.
So. well worth reading, but from mid-way or earlier it is fairly obvious where it's heading, and the main tenet of the story doesn't really stand up to too much thought. But, ignore that, go with it and enjoy the ride.
on 26 September 2012
A great take on the 'end of the world' type theme. Found it wierd and intriguing throughout as you don't fully understand what's happening, all is revealed towards the end and it's satisfying and strange when you realise what is going on. Very enjoyable read and well written, and gives you a lot to talk about with others who've also read it.
on 9 September 2012
A chance to look through the eyes of a person dealing with Asperger's Syndrome at a time when the world around him is crumbling and society has to deal with the consequences . A thought provoking book and one I read in record time. Normally I'm not a fast reader but there were times I couldn't put it down . A book that's well worth a look.
on 13 October 2013
This book was very intriguing and I read through it in the hope of clarifying exactly what was happening and why. The reasoning behind the revolution seemed rather vague and I found that a bit disappointing. I quite liked hesketh's character and his relationship with Freddy is very touching. Not a bad read.
on 4 March 2014
I really enjoyed this book - it was incredibly exciting but I had the feeling the author was aiming a film audience. I am sure it would work much better as a movie. Still, it was an enjoyable read but I'm not sure I would read it a second time.
on 19 August 2013
Some really very good writing here, and a great opening premise, but the story then goes in weird directions and I started to care less rather than more about the characters as the plot progressed. An excellent writer though