Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2012
My daughter was asked to buy this book as a set book for her year 7 English class. She very much enjoyed the book and as she recommended it so highly I also read it and much enjoyed it. It is a very well written and adventurous book with humour in places. It is the sort of book you can't put down for too long. Definately one to buy for preteens/teens.
on 17 December 2010
Cathy Macphail has a no-nonsense style and a gift for creating believeable characters and gripping narratives. This novel sees a group of disparate and dysfunctional teenagers attempting to go caving whilst on a school trip. When one of their party has an accident and nature conspires to trap them in the caves together, the group are forced to confront their fears and work together to survive, before water floods the caves and they are all drowned.
Absorbing, fast-paced and well crafted; this is a great read for older teens and adults and I for one will be reading more of Macphail's books in the near future.
on 28 November 2015
Truly can't understand all the positive reviews. This just isn't on a par with some of the other great fiction out there at the moment.
The idea is sound, the beginning an adequate set-up, but from there on in it's a sequence of non-events, with no pay-offs for any of the really interesting questions that are raised.
Normally I donate books I've read to Oxfam. I just binned this one, as I don't want anyone else's time wasted.
MacFail.
on 31 December 2009
Bought this book for my daughter aged 12 but I've read it, and it's brilliant, highly recommended, a really good read.
on 19 January 2011
If you're desperate to get your year 7 son into reading, buy all of Cathy MacPhail's novels. Your eleven to twelve year old boys will love them if my son is anything to go by. He hated reading until he read Underworld in Summer 2010. Since then he has willingly and greedily gobbled up virtually every novel Cathy MacPhail has written. And his spoken vocabulary has really improved. Great stuff.
on 4 January 2013
It is Sophie here. I met Cathy when she came to my school, then I bought a couple of her books. Afterwards I searched her and read the blurb for Underworld. I bought it, read it. BEST BOOK EVER!!! I am so emotional and actually cried when Angie fell. 5 star, amazing book.
on 9 June 2013
I liked this book because it really got u to read on to find out what happens next
Yeah a really exiting book sort of scary a bit freaky I would recommend this book to people how like a bit of awareness not one of the best cathy macphail books I've read.
on 20 January 2015
Did not read it but the recipient seemed pleased