4.0 out of 5 stars The Hanging---Lotte +Soren Hammer
This fine thought provoking debut novel from Danish brother and
sister authors is the first of a series.
The tale begins gruesomely when two children come across five
naked men,hanged with their bodies mutilated,in the school
gymnasium.Detective Chief Superintendent Konrad Simonsen from the murder
squad in Copenhagen is brought back from his...
Published 13 months ago by Simon Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars not sure ?????
Published 13 months ago by cartoon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars not sure ?????, 3 July 2013
This review is from: The Hanging (Konrad Simonsen 1) (Paperback)
I was very excited when this new book arrived ; a new scandi thriller but now I am just not sure . The story began at a good pace , plenty of urgh to keep me interested and I found the idea of the killer sending pizza to the police and then the internet frenzy over paedophiles and retribution really exciting and topical . What a great book I thought , this would make great tv . Then about half way into the story it all became flat , the writing style became heavy and suddenly I was becoming confused. Which cop was saying what , which was the journalist , who was the good guy? Every character seemed to be Arne or Annie or Ann [ or was I just falling asleep ] , the translator seemed to have been asleep too [ or maybe because it was written by 2 people? ] and by end [ which was far from thrilling ] I felt that I had just been let down .

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not spectacular, 24 Jun 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hanging (Konrad Simonsen 1) (Paperback)
I've been a huge fan of Scandinavian Crime fiction for a number of years, they've known how to wind me in, give me a cracking story and for me the landscape fits the culture wonderfully giving each story its own feeling behind the lines.

Add to this a story arc that just grabbed me and to be honest this book was thrust to the top of my TBR pile before anything else. What unfurled sadly was a story that felt like the old fashioned Video's where the blurb is so much better than the actual product. In short, the pace was jumpy, the prose misplaced so that you would even have to reread lines to get them to make sense and sadly the suspense that I was expecting was over to fast as the criminals were revealed way to early. All in, this could well have been a book that would have been better as a novella rather than the full fledged book that arrived. A great shame all in.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hanging---Lotte +Soren Hammer, 6 Jun 2013
Simon Clarke (Hackney, London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This fine thought provoking debut novel from Danish brother and
sister authors is the first of a series.
The tale begins gruesomely when two children come across five
naked men,hanged with their bodies mutilated,in the school
gymnasium.Detective Chief Superintendent Konrad Simonsen from the murder
squad in Copenhagen is brought back from his holiday to lead the
investigation.When it becomes clear that the five murdered men
were paedophiles ,the media and the public close ranks on the
police,fervently holding that the victims got what they deserved,
and not wanting the perpetrators to be caught.
As the novel progresses ,DCS Simonsen and his team are well characterised,
which bodes well for the rest of the series,but essentially this is an
accomplished crime novel which raises issues of revenge,justice in a
democratic society,and the manipulation of public opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lousy writing, unbelievable plot, 16 Aug 2013
Present tense throughout was irritating. There seemed to be a quota of sex scenes. Just 'cos it's Skandi don't make it good!

2.0 out of 5 stars confusing, 14 July 2013
Aniko (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Maybe it is my fault but I simply cannot follow the story. I don't get it who is who, who is talking to who, the sentences are confusing. I often find myself just going over the text looking for the actual investigation (not much so far). Conversations are so long and irrelevant that by the time I get to the end of it I already forgot the circumstances. I have the impression that I could even listen to random people speaking on the street, it would mean the same. I think the writers wanted to introduce their characters really well (hoping for more novels in the series?), but they would have been better off my doing it gradually and not pouring it out all at once. I really would like to stop reading this book but I have the habit of finishing. But I will jump the long conversations, I hope I won't miss anything important.

Update: I forgot to finish it. I read at least one book a week, and I don't remember the last time I did not finish a book. I wish I stopped earlier, it was a real pain to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars BRING BACK HANGING, 30 Aug 2013
With the current popularity of Danish murder mystery I looked forward to starting this, the first of a series set in Copenhagen. Had I been able to understand Danish then the original book may well be a good read, but the translation is absolutely TERRIBLE. Avoid at all costs. Plot could be good but story very difficult to follow so I did try but gave up 48% of the way through.

1.0 out of 5 stars convoluted overlong and lifeless, 25 Aug 2013
Incredible that it should take so long to say so little. The beginning had tension and held promise. This was never fulfilled.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't finish it, 25 Sep 2013
My husband bought this and hated it so much that he couldn't even finish it. He could not understand why it had received some good reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars long drawn out and confusing, 16 Aug 2013
Clive Turner (Paphos, Cyprus.) - See all my reviews
This was a boring, long drawn out and confusing story. It had a weak finish, and a paedophile theme for the sake of it. I would not bother with another story by the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars About a third too long!, 24 July 2013
I found myself floundering a bit with this book. At times it seemed to creep along at snail's pace with a lot of irrelevant and unnecessary detail. The plot is fairly straightforwad. Five former child molesters are found hanged and mutilated in a school gym and early on we learn that a self-help group are behind the killings.
It takes the police an inordinate amount of time to work out the connection between the victims and obvious lines of investigation seem to be ignored. I also found the translation to American English irritating at times, with words like "gotten" and "stay home" creeping in. So all in all, doesn't match Wallander et al and may not bother with further in series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Hanging (Konrad Simonsen 1)
The Hanging (Konrad Simonsen 1) by Lotte Hammer (Paperback - 6 Jun 2013)
9.57