Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 February 2008
After an unsuccessful escape plan, Otto and Wing acknowledge H.I.V.E. as their residence for now.

Unfortunately, Dr. Nero will have a difficult time explaining the circumstances of the attempted escape to the G.L.O.V.E. and Number One. Clearly, Number One is unhappy that the event took place, and Cypher believes that now is the perfect time to openly challenge the need for the school.

When someone attacks Dr. Nero, he knows that he must be very cautious, but when Wing's father dies, he must send him to the funeral. School policy dictates that in such an unfortunate situation, another student may accompany said student in distress. Otto and Wing travel to the funeral without knowing that they will walk right into a trap.

When Otto witnesses Wing's death he vows to take revenge on Cypher, thus creating an alliance with his old enemy, Dr. Nero. Together, can they stop Cypher's plan of world domination?

Mark Walden picks up the story shortly after the conclusion of the first book with a fresh batch of problems, along with intense situations and fast-paced action that will leave readers' hearts pumping with adrenaline.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel
on 24 January 2012
Mark Walden's second book in the HIVE series is much better than the brilliant first book, mainly because a lot of the action takes place out of the school.

Without spoiling too much, two of our anti-heroes find themselves in Japan where all hell breaks loose. Non-stop action make this read like a book by adventure writers for adults such as James Rollins or Andy McDermott.

The school, of course, does feature and we learn more about some of the teachers and more about the notorious GLOVE.

Shaping up to be a must read series, I can't wait to read book three and the follow-ons.

Oh, I'm 35 this year and have no problem saying I love kids books! Check out Michael Scott's Nicholas Flamel series and Alex Scarrow's TimeRiders books.
on 8 April 2009
Wow, we loved it. My son was given the first HIVE book at school, which is great because he is a bit choosy about trying new authors. We both read the first book (which was great), then this one and the third. We are eagerly awaiting the next instalment!! My son is 12 and I am 33 and we both enjoyed it. Fast paced and exciting!!!
on 23 April 2008
Fantastsic... I was hooked right till the end. My only disappointment is we have to wait to read the next one! Keep them coming Mark.
on 21 March 2014
This books gives you a few answers, but ultimately leaves you with a lot more questions! In a good way though.

Basically Wing learns of his fathers death, so he and Otto are given special permission to go to the funeral. That's when someone tries to kill Otto. Someone as powerful as Number One. They want to gain supremacy and the only way they can do that is with H.I.V.E.'s main computer. With the peace and security of H.I.V.E. Threatened. Otto must do everything he can to try and save it.

I have to say this book is one of my favourites In the series. A powerful baddy, but even more powerful good baddies! Exciting, gripping, keeps your wondering. And only answers some of your questions at the end!! What more could you want. As I've already said it answers some questions but gives even more to be answered that we only get to find out later in the series. So there's a great excuse to read all the books. Everyone hates unanswered questions!

A good read. Recommended.
on 28 October 2013
I purchased this book among with others in the series for my grandsons when they come to visit, as the classic 'Disney stories' are now far too young a read for them. I think they appreciated having something more of their own age to read at bedtime, and are the sort of books they read from their school libraries. So yes, I think they were a good buy.
on 28 July 2011
H.I.V.E. was always an exilirating and yet funny book, every time I read it I enter my own world enjoying the adventures of Dr. Nero, Raven, Otto and all the other characters. I don't read books I'm 13 and enjoy everything other than reading, but for H.I.V.E. I am more than happy to make that exception.
on 5 December 2010
I thought the initial book was good. Not great - but good. In general the introductions to all the characters were good, and Walden did a brilliant job of intergrating the plot with the reader,
but I thought the "main feature" - of the plant attacking at the end, was a little disappointing - in the same way that Cherub's "The recruit" is fantastic but with a somewhat dissapointing first
involving Hippies and a school bus.

But I'm glad to say Walden has come along leaps and bonus after the experience from writing the first chapter in an amazing series. The overlord protocol not only has an intriguing and
enthralling plot, but Walden has the 'spark' that is essential for a five star read. I bought the entire - 6 Book Series - three weeks ago and got through the lot in a week, and it was truly
fantastic. I would urge everyone to read this book. The language is not overly complex, and there's no blood and gore, just pure action on every page. I think everyone, male, female, young
and old, would LOVE this entire series, and I urge you to go out and buy them all now!
on 26 September 2008
A good young adult action book with spys and secret agents, good guys and bad guys. Not in the class of Alex Rider, Jason Steed but uo there with Joe Craig's Jimmy Coates and Charlie Higsons Young James Bond. They could be made into a film.
on 12 May 2011
purchased for my grandson (but i had to read it first)just to make sure it was ok for him , well thats my excuse and i enjoyed it and the rest of the series