5.0 out of 5 stars Action, action and more over the top action.....
Just as I like it. I bought it for my son aged 12 quite a while back and bought all the other books in the series too. Higher Institute of Villainous Education is just over the top and it is great.
Published on 25 May 2013 by Frenchie

1.0 out of 5 stars Wooden, hateable characters
Although this has the potential to be a great series, I was instantly bored by the constant and irratating formality the main character seemed to possess. Otto was also a smart-arse know it all. Honestly, I csn't reas a book if I fondle the main characters...

(Not fondle, hate, damn autocorrect!!)
Published 4 months ago by Trish Watkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Action, action and more over the top action....., 25 May 2013
Frenchie "Francine" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Do not think that the author condones crime. To the contrary, the Institute is the brainchild of Dr Nero (yes, you read right) to preserve the old fashion type of villains (you know , the refined, highly intelligent ones, the ones who will never grab an old lady's handbag but are most ruthless and devious and think of the most evil plots in the world) as the world was taken over by really bad mannered villains.
It is funny but there is also the underlying theme of camaraderie and loyalty. Well, imagine Harry Potter and his side kicks, and you have the essence of the brightest student in HIVE, Otto Malpense. (But far from me to compare the two, no way, totally different books and plots). You have the blundering Nigel Darkdoom, the always starving Franz, ninja wannabe Wing, Laura the hacker and Shelby the Barbie doll.
You have all the ingredients you need to have the perfect ''book'' boarding school.
And of course, you have Raven. The most feared assassin in the world, who now acts as Dr Nero's bodyguard and ''problem solver''. And Raven is a ''she''. Which is good, because in HIVE, Mark Walden has made a good balance between girls and boys power.
I recommend it to girls and boys alike. Teens and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars H.I.V.E review, 18 Feb. 2013
It was an excellent book, thrilling and devious, with each page my heart leap and I am deeply looking forward to the next novel in the series, Mark Walden is an extremely good author.

5.0 out of 5 stars HIVE, 27 Feb. 2013
Got to read the next book! A must book for any future evil genius - even my mum enjoyed it! Interesting plot and great characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for all the family. (audio book version), 12 Aug. 2013
First off I would like to say that one, this is my first Audio book review, and secondly, this is the first audio book that I have read/listened to all the way through! So please bare with me.

I've never been one for audio books, I always seemed to lose track, or get bored and just stop, never able to let my brain float in to the far away fictional land like tree or E-books do. This used to infuriate my son who, being dyslexic is his main form of reading. At the moment my reading mojo seems to have disappeared gone on a summer holiday which makes me very twitchy. My son told me I HAD TO listen to this book as it was, and I quote "AMAZING!" and after some protests I started to listen to it, and my god, I'm glad I did.

So we got this book from [...] and is read by the very talented Jack Davenport. He's been in many films and TV shows, more famous for staring in Pirates of the Caribbean and Flashforward.

He makes the book for me and his voices are incredible!!!! HIs girly Scottish accent and his german (augustus Gloop) accent made me giggle for all the right reasons. I never lost whose voice he was trying to portray and gave the right sense of drama when needed! FANTASTIC.

Now, the story. The story centres on a boy called Otto. A child who can only be described as 'special' his IQ is outstanding, yet feels different. HIs 'home' is an orphanage which looks like it's going to have to close. Otto can't stand by and watch this happen! Oh no!

Due to Otto's actions which I won't spoil, he is spotted and taken to an island where he will taught many lessons on how to be a villain. Now don't think the author has made this into a good thing, he hasn't and along with Otto's rather fantastic friends who themselves are fantastic characters in their own right, try and think of ways on how to escape H.I.V.E.

Along with other storylines which make you want to continue reading the future books, this book is a must read, especially if you have some reluctant readers. It's been compared to Harry Potter and I can see where the comparisons are. If you like Potter this could well be a great fix for you. Even writing this review, I think my next audio book will be book 2!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Feb. 2013
I found it was a lot like harry potter, but with spies and bad guys and everything harry potter DIDN'T have. I also see a striking resemblance between Neville Longbottom and Nigel Darkroom.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant espionage novel in the art of villainous education; thoroughly enjoyable!, 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education) (Paperback)
A brilliant espionage novel in the art of villainous education; thoroughly enjoyable! I am not a fan of the cover though as it is rather simple and dull, but I do like the font.

When groups of teens are taken from their homes without any knowledge of why and pushed into a new school, away from their parents and guardians, they must adapt to their new environment to be trained in villainy. But how far would you go to escape?

Our main protagonists in this novel were all fun and mysterious, their backgrounds were interesting alongside their 'extracurricular hobbies', like stealing million pound jewellery! Of course we have yet to find out everything of their past but I definitely look forward to learning more.

The plot of this novel was fast-pace and engaging. The imagination to create the goings-on inside the facility was brilliant and most of the scenes I could visualise due to their creativity and imagery. Easy-to-follow and fun, their adventures will certainly tide away any spare time.

A fun and adventurous novel of the training of villains that will have you wanting to try out their lessons; certainly a series I will continue with soon! The next novel in the H.I.V.E. series is The Overlord Protocol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great action book for 10+ year olds, 15 Dec. 2013
N. Timpson "La_La" (Fleet, Hants) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a series for my don after he'd finished the Percy Jackson, Kane and Charlie Bone series.

Took a gamble on the HIVE series, as I'd never heard of them, but SO glad we did.
Brilliant kids adventure stories. Great characters and great baddies.
We are 3/4 way through right now.

Pretty much about a load of gifted (in a slightly naughty way), kids who are kidnapped and taken to a secret island to be trained as furure James Bond type villains!

This book focuses on Otto and his friend's arrival and subsequent determination to escape.

Great story. My 10 year old son is ploughing through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE cannot recommend enough, 3 Dec. 2013
S. Donohue (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Another of my try in the 99p sale purchases, loved it so much I bought the rest of the series so far straight away and have the next one due out on pre order. Think harry potter meets bond meets alex rider meets dr evil! Just fantastic sci fi escapism read.
I would say a great book to get a reluctant young reader into books, I am an adult who loves a good young adult book and this whole series are amazing books (and not just me who thinks it got 3 other adult friends to buy and they all love the series too)
treat a teenager or indulge your inner teenager and give it a go

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 24 Jun. 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Welcome to Hogwarts for bad guys, minus the magic.

H.I.V.E. is a school set on a deserted island where brilliant young adults who have come from criminal families or have taken part in criminal projects are taught to become the worst that they can be.

Otto Malpense remembers nothing about how he came to be on the H.I.V.E. island, and neither does him Asian friend, Wing. The H.I.V.E. staff explains to the young criminals that their parents agreed to let them join the school - and that they are under the highest security and scrutiny.

Otto, being an extremely smart Alpha, wonders if they were kidnapped and are being held hostage until they graduate. Throughout their time at H.I.V.E., Otto and his friends are enrolled in a number of courses you will not find in your average school. Subjects such as Tactical Education, Stealth and Evasion, Villainy Studies, and many other classes (meant for other students, such as Henchmen).

Wanting to be off the island, Otto and his friends, Wing (a martial arts fighter), Shelby (a jewelry store sleuth), and Laura (a technological genius) devise a plan that has never been pulled off before - escaping H.I.V.E. This is a feat that no student has ever accomplished.

H.I.V.E. is a great book and the ending leaves it open for a sequel, which i will be more than happy to buy. Although some parts were scattered, it all led to a great, courageous ending.

Reviewed by: Jeremey

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read, 15 April 2014
5 stars earned. A school for villains inside a volcano. Students attempting escape. An evil AI bent on destroying the world. Meet Otto Malpenese, a genetically manufactured orphan. Created to be a shell for a computer.

This is the second time I've read this series of 8 books. These were so gripping, that I finished them in 4 days, and later 2. Don't read if you can't handle that!

H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education)
H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education) by Mark Walden (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2011)