Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 August 2011
Mark Walden gets better with every book. Although the title does not quite fit with the actual storyline, it was the best H.I.V.E yet in my opinion. It starts off slower paced, and speeds up towards the end, however all the pre-action is necessary to understand what happens near the end. The book has several laugh out loud moments, which are mostly provided by Franz, along with sudden twists, especially the ending (waiting for the next book will be extremely difficult!). Finally, Raven's backstory is explained, with flashbacks throughout the book. I loved this as she is my favourite character by a long shot, although there is less 'present day' action because of that. However, if you dislike her character, you may not enjoy 'Aftershock' as much as the other books, as so much is focussed on her. This is a book I will read again and again!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 July 2011
I think the HIVE stories should have stopped with the destruction of Overlord (Zero Hour) because it is difficult to sustain the same pace of story telling now that the psychotic AI is no more. In all fairness, it was a good entertaining read but I was a bit disappointed. There were flashbacks into Raven's mysterious past that I felt were just there to make up the number of pages. They did not add to the story (except the last one). Raven did not even feel like the ''world deadliest assassin''. I also felt a bit let down by the 'hunt'plot. I expected something more spectacular (in the way of HIVE)- this was too easy. The success of all past HIVE is due to the outrageous plots and the cheekiness of the Alpha team best students (Otto, Wing, Laura, Shelby) flanked by the blundering Franz and his sidekick Nigel and Raven doing her ninja stuff. This book was too tamed, a bit bland by comparison. It may also be so because I have read all the HIVE books in one go, whereas someone who had not would not find it repetitive. Having said that, I am a fan of HIVE and I have this feeling that After Shock is only the preliminary for something more substantial, more "HIVE". So, I will wait eagerly for the next instalment because I hope more questions will be answered (ie. I'd love to how Nero met and rescued Natalya as I know now she was sent to kill him.). After all, didn't we get a glimpse of Hive mind back in Otto's head? Now, this is more like it..I just hope I do not have to wait too long...
on 27 December 2012
these books get better and better - a gripping and brilliant read for adults and kids alike, perfect bedtime reading if you read out loud to your 8/9 YO at night, really exciting stories to share. I have the new one due in 2013 already on pre order and we are counting down to release day.
on 29 April 2012
My 12 year old son has the whole set of "Hive" books and absolutely loves them. I had a hard time getting him to read anything but comics books but these were the break through books for us. I'm really pleased. He even asks to read before he goes to sleep now...................
on 10 June 2013
This is the series about a school of villains. But don't be put off by the idea of another 'school story'. It is unlike Harry Potter or Cherub because it is first of all much funnier and with a different twist... you want these villains to success because there are worse out there!

Aftershock is one of the best in the series so far. Otto faces a betrayal from within his own side and nobody knows who to trust.

I recommend this book for all fans of young adventure and humour.
on 1 November 2011
I have read every HIVE book but unfortunately this is my least favourite. This focuses on Raven and only builds up to the next in the series. I was left feeling unsatisfied and that it should have continued or never existed in the first place.
Although it could be improved, it is an interesting book with necessary history; almost a prequel. I would still recommend reading it.
on 28 October 2013
I purchased this book among with others in the series for my grandsons when they come to visit, as the classic 'Disney stories' are now far too young a read for them. I think they appreciated having something more of their own age to read at bedtime, and are the sort of books they read from their school libraries. So yes, I think they were a good buy.
on 25 October 2011
My problem with HIVE books recently was that they couldn't move away from the overlord plot-line. That was why I was very happy when this book had NOTHING to do with overlord. However despite this there are numerous problems in the book.
1: The plot line for this book was incredibly predictable and I only missed out on one or two details. To avoid plot spoilers I will merely say that I did not predict the scene at the church. Barring that, I predicted everything as soon as they set off for the hunt which is the main theme of the book.
2: Lucy Dexters death in the last book is skimmed over and although the characters talk about the loss on the animus station it never seems to effect the characters. They don't even seem like characters any more either. Simply representations of certain talents they have.
3: The ending was anticlimactic and I was actually surprised when the book ended thinking "was that it"?
4: The main problem I have with HIVE is that despite it being called an institute of VILLANOUS education there i still no evil character other than the ones trying to kill otto.
on 21 April 2013
I loved this book as i have the rest of the HIVE series. I loved the way Mark kept jumping back to Ravens past so we then understood the ending and more about her. The twist at the end is also amazing.
on 1 September 2013
AMAZING THE BOOKS JUST GET BETTER AND BETTER AND IT ENDS IT ON A MASSIVE CLIFF HANGER. OMG ITS SO GOOD WISH THERE WAS ONE HUNDRED BOOKS IN THE SERIES I'VE READ THEM ALL IN LIKE THREE DAYS