on 15 April 2013
OK, so I do get what people are writing about Liz being self obsessed. But to me the point of this book is that she actually decides to be self obsessed, to understand the patterns and mistakes of her past and to eventually free herself. And to write about them. The self obsession is deliberate. She is writing about her journey to understand herself, not every little thing that happened to her over her year of discovery.

I have read this book twice, it offered me comfort following my divorce and again at the end of my last relationship. At a time when I was a little self obsessed (in my own head, of course we all get on with real life on the outside) it helped me to read Liz's thoughts, which were so similar to mine.

Plus it inspired me to go away on a yoga holiday - obviously we can't all be paid to go to Italy, India and Indonesia for 12 months, but we CAN be inspired to do a little more in our own lives and my week at a yoga retreat wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for reading this book. Come on, take the positive message here people!

Don't be put off by the bad reviews. If you've been through a break up or divorce or you're struggling in a relationship then read this book!
on 9 April 2016
I agree, also surprised by the bad reviews - its illogical to read an autobiographical book and complain its self centred, that's kind of the point. I guess you either like her voice or you don't, personally I think it's a very well written and insightful book that transports you not only around the world but completely into Liz Gilbert's mindset and makes you question how you see the things, while still containing story like progression. Definitely worth reading.
on 10 August 2014
was really surprised at the negative reviews. personally i have read it three time and have gained some insights. the point of the book is her own self dicovery. she got this across well. her humout her honesty and the journey i found to be brilliant. ihave reccommended this to many people and they too got a lot out of it. so i thank her for sharing her eperieces.
on 26 September 2015
I very much enjoyed this book. It opens with Elizabeth Gilbert lying on her bathroom floor in her New York apartment in despair about her marriage. She appears to have everything: a successful writing career, a Manhattan apartment, a country house and a supportive husband. She is deeply unhappy. After a messy and stressful divorce she starts a voyage of self discovery by taking a year off to travel. She begins in Italy where she eats and drinks to excess and meets a lovely Italian family.Eating is the first part of healing herself as she leaves her skinny New York figure behind. Then she travels to India to stay in an ashram. This was my favourite part of the book. At first Elizabeth finds meditation really challenging but she masters the art and has an amazing metaphysical experience. Finally she travels to Bali and learns wisdom from a traditional medicine man. Here she learns about balance and learns to combine the different aspects of her personality. She falls in love with a handsome older Brazilian man so there is even the fairy tale happy ending.

I felt a kinship with Elizabeth though she is a much richer, prettier and more confident version of me. The book is a breeze to read and often very funny. I loved how candid she is about how she feels and sitting here in cynical Britain it was refreshing to read someone talking about their personal search for God so candidly. There are no new truths here as everything can be found in spiritual texts already of course but this take on it was great fun aswell as enlightening.

I found the book quite inspirational. Maybe I'll be taking a spiritual trip sometime soon.
on 13 February 2013
I had enjoyed the film and was curious as to how the book was.......a I often find the book was better than the film!! An excellent read which has made my mind go on over time and question a few life choices of my own and made me question whether or not I am getting everything out of life I want!!
on 7 February 2016
A rollercoaster ride of a book; an emotional, spiritual and psychological journey which both in turn frustrates and enlightens. I'd recommend to anyone who has questioned who they are, where they are going or who just loves a great journey and good food! Highly recommended.
on 4 October 2009
'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert Some reviewers do not seem to have understood the nature of this book. It is a very honest personal account of one person's search for God in order to put her life together.It is extremely well written, readable, and explains many deep truths in a very accessible way. This book was recommended to me by a Christian friend in Romania who found it a very special read. Richard Keen
on 9 August 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. It is excellently written as Gilbert describes her thoughts, facts and opinions in such an interesting and cleverly symbolic way which is so beautifully written. She covers so many emotions from deep sadness to real humour in her path to find peace and you can't help but both sympathise and empathise with her as she is on her both physical and mental journey. After reading the book I really want to visit Italy and Bali as she certainly highlights what beautiful, culturally enriched countries they are. All in all, a highly recommended read.
on 8 September 2015
This book really spoke to me... It seemed to be perfectly timed to events in my own life, helping me understand pain, compassion for yourself in times of distress and following a path of spiritualism. It helped bring me back to ideas from my past and helped me set some foundations.

I enjoyed Elizabeth's writing style which I can appreciate isn't everyone's cup of tea, but being a similar sort of female I got on fine.
on 31 July 2013
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book having seen the film. It proved to contain some very insightful and thought-provoking musings about language, love and travel. It also opened my eyes to a new way of thinking about religion, spirituality and reality in the chapters about yoga in India. Gilbert is a likeable and engaging voice. this is a great read, but also a lot more substantial than its chick-lit reputation makes out.