Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 9 October 2014
I've been waiting a long time to buy a hardback collection of Harry Potter, but none of the other editions seemed worth the money.

This one is definitely worth it! The box itself is well made and sturdy and has the gorgeous gold designs on it. The new covers are also stunning, with the titles picked out in gold stars. The best thing is the inclusion of a map of the hogwarts grounds and the contents pages.

This is definitely a box set that any fan of Harry Potter would want to own!
on 17 February 2009
I spent a long time deciding which version of the paperback books to buy (the adult or children editions). Although the front cover art-work on the adult editions is more attractive (to me, as an adult), the print is terrible in comparison (tiny, blocky font on cheaper/rougher paper), and sadly makes the books feel very cheap. I went for the children's edition, and have not regretted it! The books in this edition are set on good quality paper, with a easy-on-the-eye font, and come in a sturdy flip-top cardboard case. Look no further!
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2010
I think most people considering purchasing this set have previously read some or all of the Harry Potter books. So we all like Harry. The question is do we like this set.

I read all the reviews here before I purchased. The comments about the quality of the paper, the binding, the small margins and font, the inconsistencies of the spines and the damage to the slipcase from shipping are all true.

That said, the set is fine.

This is not a set of a special edition or printing. These are the same editions that were recently sold separately to the mass market. The publisher has wrapped them in a slipcase and is selling them as a boxed set. Which is fine.

I would have been happy to pay extra for a boxed set with acid free paper, cloth bindings, etc. but it doesn't exist.

I would recommend purchasing the Bloomsbury Children Edition Boxed Set over this one. The paper and the bindings are the same but the margins and font are larger and there are illustrations (always a nice touch).

While I read and enjoyed the Scholastic editions, I would not recommend them. I was upset to find out they changed the author's language for the U.S. audience. Bad form.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2014
I have read all these books to my sons and love them. I got the box set for my sister, who has seen the movies, but not read the books. It is a lovely box set and reasonably priced for all books.
on 6 January 2011
Everyone who has bought this box set needs to check that the books are correct to the covers, as the final book in the set we have received, The Deathly Hallows had the correct cover but was in fact The Half Blood Prince. As the returns policy is only 30 days we are unable to return the set for credit, so just be aware and check!!!!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2011
I've been thinking about collecting the UK edition of the Harry Potter series for quite some time but I finally made up my mind when I saw the Signature Edition. Being used to the US edition from the beginning, this felt like a breath of fresh air. If you are a fan of Harry Potter and want something different and refreshing for your collection, this is it! The new cover art is very nifty and fits nicely between the previous children's (UK) edition and the adult (UK) edition. It is neither "cartoonish" nor solemn. I think the new art reflects the contents of the books very well - lots of drama with fun along the way. The box the books came in is very pretty. It is bright red with art from the books, compact, and sturdy enough to hold all seven books. Moreover, the inside edge is slanted so that by the time you get towards the front, you have enough room to pull out each book. Pulling the books out would've been a challenge without the slant since they have a snug fit in the box. The books themselves have very good binding and have the average size of paperbacks, with good paper quality. I have read the US books several times and like them very much. The next time I plan on reading them (which I'm sure will be in a few short months), I'll pick up this edition.
FOR US FANS - if you are planning on getting this series and have never seen the inside of a UK edition book, here are some of the differences you will find: there is no table of contents; there is no chapter art; the font looks more "serious" and is slightly bigger; there are small differences in words, like, "mom" is "mum" and "sneakers" are "trainers." Overall, the stories are the same.
In a nutshell, I'd say this was a great buy and worth the money I spent on it. I'm really glad I bought it. My grandkids will inherit them!
Note to Amazon - please change the description to say "Deathly Hallows" (not "Hollows"). Seeing that the series comes from UK, I think it's a shame that you guys can't spell it correctly. It makes look bad and undermines your status as a leading online book seller.
on 4 October 2007
When I mailed Bloomsbury if ever they would make a special edition of all Harry Potter books, they told me that October 2007 would be the release of a special edition with cloth hard cover and gold gilt (not sure about the word, but it is the gold edge of the paper), so I expected a luxurious edition, which you would expect for £185.

I would have expected better quality paper, heavier paper and smoother, definitely a more firm and heavier hardback, and I have seen better gold gilt as well. You expect book 4, 5, 6 and 7 to be quite heavy, but they aren't.
I did not expect a Pleiade like quality, but at least close to it....

Well, I am a fan, so I keep it....
on 7 March 2015
Where to start? I bought this box set for my mum for Christmas, and she absolutely loved it. A full set of beautiful books, encased in a quality box. Everyone knows how fantastic the Harry Potter novels are, so this review needs say nothing about the story. My mum had read all the books before, buying each one as and when they were published. We were then left with a set made up of both hardback and paperback books, so to buy a set as beautiful as this and now have a fully matching set, is just what she wanted.

I bought The Hogwarts Library Boxed Set alongside this, which is also encased in a similar red box. Now she has the entire set written by J.K. Rowling and it all matches!
on 21 January 2008
Held together in a very nice box, the full set of the adult Harry Potter books are very high quality and well worth the money. These books will last a long time and be enjoyed again and again.
on 25 November 2011
I ordered this Harry Potter Hardback Boxed Set (Signature Edition) as well as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Comic Relief Edition,Quidditch Through the Ages: Comic Relief Edition, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition. I have the US editions of the books, but I wanted the UK editions.

As far as the content goes, I obviously love the books very much. They're my absolute favorite books and I'm very excited to be able to read the UK editions.

The Box:
It's a pretty box. I think it's made of cardboard, but the surface is very smooth and nicely decorated. The box closes with a magnet in the front flaps. Just be careful. Although the magnet is good enough to keep the box closed when it's on a shelf, it's not strong enough to bear the weight of all the books if the box is tilted. If, like me, you decide to turn the box over to look the pictures on all the sides, make sure to hold the flaps closed! (Fortunately, the box was on the bed when I did this, so the books didn't fall out or anything.)

The box for the paperback set looks really nice as well (just from the pictures I've seen, I think I like it even more than the hardback box) but I decided to go with the hardback set, since I read the books so often.

The books:
I really like the way the books look. There's a picture on the front and the back of each book, as well a quote from a positive review of Harry Potter on the back of each book. Each book is a different color, and the ribbon markers match the color of each book. I've grown attached to the US illustrations, since I grew up with them, but these are really nice as well.

For those who may be curious: The UK editions are smaller in size than the US editions. There are fewer pages, and if you lay a UK edition book on top of its US counterpart (which I tried with Order of the Phoenix) the UK book is about 3 cm shorter and 2 cm narrower. The margins are smaller, there is no table of contents, and there aren't pictures at the beginning of each chapter. (By contrast, the UK Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages are thicker than their US counterparts.)

I tried to quickly inspect the books, since I'd read that some people found damage. The only damage I found was a tiny dent in the top edge of Prisoner of Azkaban. It's not really noticeable, though, and it's not a reason for me to send the book back.

Shipping Information for US buyers:
I live in the US and had no trouble ordering this. Shipping was very reasonable: 15.95 GBP for all the items. The total price (this box set + Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them + Quidditch Through the Ages + The Tales of Beedle the Bard + shipping) came to 93.00 GBP ~ 152.12 USD. The whole package was delivered very quickly, in three days, which was less than the promised delivery time.

If you go to a search engine and type in "amazon uk to us shipping" you'll get a page with Amazon UK's North America Delivery Rates. I tried to calculate what it would be before ordering, so I could anticipate how much more money I'd have to save up, and my calculation was correct. Just follow the directions on the page. (When calculating the shipping price, the box set counts as one book, by the way, not seven.)

I'd definitely recommend these books. They'd make a good present for a Harry Potter fan or for someone who loves to read, but hasn't read the series yet.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse