5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier.
Standing at a price much higher than the paperback, or even the hardback edition, it is a first thought of the consumer if this is worth it. In short word: yes
Ofc, not owning the regular hardback edition I can't make a fair comparison, but I can see the difference in the quality just by the image.

The Box is hard, with gold lettering on the sides and...
Published on 2 Jun 2011 by A. Eismont

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but some caveats
I think most people considering purchasing this set have previously read some or all of the Harry Potter books. So we all like Harry. The question is do we like this set.

Published on 29 Jan 2010 by K. McConville

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier., 2 Jun 2011
A. Eismont (Norway, Oslo) - See all my reviews

The Box is hard, with gold lettering on the sides and back.
The books are hardback, and feel good to the touch, while the picture in the middle is really smooth, almost looks sown in, but a really awesome edition. Each book is a different color, which gives each book it's own feel.
The top of each page has some gold stuff on it, which you can actually rub off with your finger (though not the whole thing ofc). It does look good, and is not really harmful, except the inside of the box having some gold smudges, but it is kinda cheezy. The quality of the paper is good, it's hard and thick, but it's not pure white. It's like paperback but better quality. But in the light of reading the LOTR: Deluxe edition, which had pure white quality paper, I was turned off by this one at first. In the LOTR book, when you spread apart the pages, it's heavy enough to keep them all down to each side. Here, they float in air, can't phrase it better than that. I guess like all books do, you'll know. Not that I mind holding the pages down, but for a special edition I thought it would be similar. It's really hard to decide. With a book like LOTR that is 1300 pages, that kind of quality was definitely better. On a 200 page book like the first, it's not necessary.

The box set simply looks beautiful, I would really cough up some more money to buy this edition instead, for it will last through the ages unless you are a barbarian.

On the books themselves... It's a 5 star story, gets better with each books. I was so excited by the end of the last book, last 100 pages that I can't believe it. First one is definitely more for kids. Very simple writhing, not much details in background and such. But it gets more detailed as the books progress, it gets darker as the students grow up, and I think more accessible for more ages. It starts out as just a story about a kid in a school, but man, what a school this is. Hats of to Harry Potter and Voldemort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice set for the price, even shipped to the USA, 1 Feb 2014
Will Anderson (Fallbrook, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a boxed set of the English (country, not language) version of the Harry Potter books, because I wasn't interested in reading the language-mangled version printed in the US. Apparently the US publisher thinks we're too stupid to understand the original version. This set caught my eye, and the reviews were favorable, so I ordered a set. Amazon made the international purchase and shipping a snap, and the price was great, too. The set arrived in about two weeks, in good shape. One corner of the box had very minor (i.e. mostly cosmetic) damage from being dropped before it was packed, but it wasn't more than what you'd see buying the same thing in a store. I love the illustrations on the box and the books, and the cover stock is very high quality, with a soft matte finish. The binding seems sturdy, too. I'm in the middle of the fourth book and the book spines are as good as new. I took off one star for the low quality paper used for the book pages, which doesn't really seem to match the rest of the set, but maybe that's how they made the set so affordably priced. Overall I'd consider this a great purchase, and kudos to Amazon for making it so easy to make an international purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Visually Stunning Set, 1 Feb 2014
I've loved the Harry Potter series of books for a while, but have not owned the set myself. I was debating getting them on my kindle for ease of use, and then I found this UK set. The colors are vibrant and the illustrations on the box and covers are spectacular. It surpasses anything that was available in the US. The construction of the books seems just as if not more sturdy than the average paperback. I look forward to reading through these again with my son in the years to come and giving him the opportunity to enjoy them himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better quality and value compared to the Adult Edition, 17 Feb 2009
I spent a long time deciding which version of the paperback books to buy (the adult or children editions). Although the front cover art-work on the adult editions is more attractive (to me, as an adult), the print is terrible in comparison (tiny, blocky font on cheaper/rougher paper), and sadly makes the books feel very cheap. I went for the children's edition, and have not regretted it! The books in this edition are set on good quality paper, with a easy-on-the-eye font, and come in a sturdy flip-top cardboard case. Look no further!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Boxed Set, 15 Oct 2014
I just got this Boxed Set Children's Hardback for my birthday and I must say it is just perfect. Completed with the Hogwarts Library Three Books it is really awesome. The box is really beautiful. And the books are just AMAZINGLY magnificent. The new covers are just splendid and you will not regret buying those, I assure you. (And, of course, JK Rowling work is prodigious)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but some caveats, 29 Jan 2010
K. McConville (Trevor, WI) - See all my reviews

I read all the reviews here before I purchased. The comments about the quality of the paper, the binding, the small margins and font, the inconsistencies of the spines and the damage to the slipcase from shipping are all true.

That said, the set is fine.

This is not a set of a special edition or printing. These are the same editions that were recently sold separately to the mass market. The publisher has wrapped them in a slipcase and is selling them as a boxed set. Which is fine.

I would have been happy to pay extra for a boxed set with acid free paper, cloth bindings, etc. but it doesn't exist.

I would recommend purchasing the Bloomsbury Children Edition Boxed Set over this one. The paper and the bindings are the same but the margins and font are larger and there are illustrations (always a nice touch).

While I read and enjoyed the Scholastic editions, I would not recommend them. I was upset to find out they changed the author's language for the U.S. audience. Bad form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 29 Nov 2013
I live in the highlands and still got it less than 24 hours later with prime delivery!! When it arrived the packaging was brilliant and the books/display box are in perfect condition. I love the new brightness of these books and the detailed box they sit in is brilliant with pictures of all sorts of Harry potter scenes on it. Can't wait to read them all now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful!, 9 Oct 2014
I've been waiting a long time to buy a hardback collection of Harry Potter, but none of the other editions seemed worth the money.

This one is definitely worth it! The box itself is well made and sturdy and has the gorgeous gold designs on it. The new covers are also stunning, with the titles picked out in gold stars. The best thing is the inclusion of a map of the hogwarts grounds and the contents pages.

This is definitely a box set that any fan of Harry Potter would want to own!

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable and rewarding reading experience!, 22 July 2014
I never saw the Harry Potter films as they were released between 2001 and 2010, although I was aware of them. I had no interest in reading the novels, I thought they were childrens' books and would never appeal to me. It wasn't until sometime in the last year or so that I started to become curious, mostly as a result of the many Potter references and parodies on TV shows, especially in comedy, as well as Daniel Radcliffe's regular appearances on the Graham Norton Show - a sincere and likeable lad. Harry Potter had become a cutural thing, and I was utterly clueless as to who "Hermione" was or what a "Dumbledore" is. I didn't have a morbid fascination, I just wanted to watch the films to learn these things and be done.

At the beginning of this year (2014), I bought the DVD boxset and watched the films over a week. I wasn't hugely impressed because I felt there were too many threads to follow, which the films didn't seem to relay clearly. A few months later I started to give them a second run-through, picking up more details that I had missed first time round. After rewatching the first two films I decided to upgrade to the Blu-Ray boxset, which includes all the deleted scenes, in order to learn some of the minor details omitted from the theater releases. As a result, I began to ask questions which still loomed in my mind: what about this, how did such a thing happen, who was he? The answers, I realised, could only be gotten from digesting the novels. I didn't find the films as childish as I had expected them to be, in fact I was quite impressed with how they matured, grew darker and more threatening, and never patronised the audience. I hoped the books might be similar if I was going to take the risk of buying the full set instead of just the first as a taster.

And so I embarked on the 7-part journey and delved straight into J.K. Rowling's world of fantasy, magic and mystery. I completed the first three novels in a very short time, hooked from the start, and at first they reminded me, perhaps, of the great Roald Dahl books in the way they were written: mature, witty, with suspense and colourful characters. From there, the fourth book was a bit lackluster, as was the fourth film, although still well written the pace seems to slow down and there wasn't as much action as the other six offer, but it did take a step up from the boyhood years into more somber teenage territory, with bigger threats and challenges. The last three books are a rollercoaster of thrills and spills, with very complex character interaction, lots of twists and complex backgrounds to keep track of, all of which Rowling presents, maintains and concludes neatly. The fate of all the minor characters aren't disclosed, but it is enough to say that the novels answered all of the questions the films failed to cover and, because the books have other sub-plots which could not be included in the films due to the usual budget and time constraints, also present a great deal more original material to make reading them a different experience from watching the films, even though the outcome is the same the journey feels different, more involved, and generally takes a different tone and pace making it enjoyable to follow them from a different perspective.

I would have been 17 when "The Philosopher's Stone" was first published, half the age I am now. Do I regret waiting so long to catch-up on seeing and reading this remarkable series? Not really, no... but I do feel glad that I did take the time, these past few months, to fully enjoy it. I prefer completing such sets back-to-back over a short time rather than waiting years for sequels to come out in the bookshop or on film, anticipation has never been my strong point. What Rowling has written is certainly worth reading, regardless of whether you're a child, teen, young adult or fully grown individual with an open mind. I would say 12+ is a good starting age, although the last few titles might require a higher reading level, perhaps 15+ given their size and content. Rowling's style of writing is never patronising or pretentious, she goes into enough detail without becoming verbose, her pace is good although it differs per novel because they are part of a progressive series set over a seven year period.

If, like me, you've seen the films and are eager to know and understand more, I highly recommend you pick up the complete collection and settle down to a few weeks of compelling and revealing novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set of all 7 for the true fan, 26 Mar 2010
I am thrilled with this set. As an American reading the books available here, I did not realize until recently that the books had been 'americanized'. I am a big fan, and I really wanted to read the original version that JK Rowling wrote. I ordered this set very easily, Amazon converts the dollar amount for you, and shipping took about 2 weeks, which I considered very good for overseas shipping. Shipping was not expensive either, not much more than if I had ordered books in the States. I am on the 5th book now, and have been very pleased with reading the changes(I have read the 'american' versions over 30 times, so I know them very well) and once again enjoying the wizarding world. These are the adult version, no illustrations, and the books are smaller than the regular versions, with as many words as possible on each page. I would rate the actual physical books as average, they are hardcover, with just standard paper, they seem fine, but not super sturdy for much rough handling. However, as I am not letting any children get a hold of this special set, I don't see that being a problem. One caveat, that is not Amazon's fault, when I received the books, US Customs had opened both the box and the sleeve holding the books together. They busted up the outer sleeve, so if you want this set as a gift, you may want to keep that in mind that Customs may wreck it if sent overseas.

Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set (Harry Potter Signature Edition)
Used & New from: £39.99