4.7 out of 5 stars1,733
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 September 2011
Having bought HFW's River Cottage Every Day and been impressed with the vegetarian options available in that offering I jumped at the opportunity to buy this book and have not been disappointed. ALL recipes are vegetarian and are split in to the following, beautifully photographed, chapters (including some recipes):

Comfort Food and Feasts - aubergine pamigiana, pinto bean chilli
Heart Salads - spelt salad with squash and fennel, fish-free salad nicoise
Raw Assemblies - red cabbage, parsnip, orange and dates
Hefty Soups - Mexican tomato and bean soup, ribollita
Bready Things - vegiflette toastie, various rarebits
Store-cupboard Suppers - spring onion gallete, oven-roasted roots frittata
Pasta and Rice - baby carrot and pea risotto, vegeree
Mezze and Tapas - carrot hummus, Cambodian wedding day dip
Roast, Grill and BBQ - roasted aubergine boats
Side Dishes (including sweet asides) - runner beans with tomato and garlic, pumpkin and raisin tea loaf

Each chapter is stacked full of recipes that will keep you going with something new for a while. In addition, and this is something that runs through all HFW cookbooks, all recipies are achievable, quick/relatively quick to cook and contain ingredients that can all be purchased locally rather than online. I haven't found a single recipe that I will not try and again, in keeping with previous HFW cookbooks, he has outlined simple variations on the recipies and has thought about practicalities of some recipies by suggesting them as a simple, healthy alternatives to a boring sandwitch at lunch.

A fantastic cookbook. Highly recommended.
2323 comments|447 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2011
First let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Fearnley-Whittingstall. Generally seems a bit overblown to me. I say this not to be mean, but to emphasise that I am not a devotee of River Cottage and its fearless leader...just this book, which is absolutely amazing.

I've recently been focusing on the need to add more veg to my diet, but all my vegetarian cookbooks either try to replace meat (think tempeh and nut loaf),just chuck the veg with some pasta or into a pie, or have a list of exotic ingredients as long as your arm.

This book doesn't focus on what's missing in a vegetarian diet, but focuses on the veg and how to make them taste great in a number of simple ways. I've had the book for a month and used it at least 10 times. The recipes are easy to follow, the suggestions for modifications are brilliant, and the food just tastes good. Even my carnivore husband has complimented the recipes and asked for more!

Which brings me to another point - these recipes are very easy to chuck some chicken or fish into if you fancy. You just don't happen to miss it if you don't.

I have recommended this book to all my friends and will continue to use it on a regular basis. It's fab!
1818 comments|551 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2009
Like the previous reviewer, I also own a good number of Mr F-W books and love the exposition about all things close to his stomach. However they can be a challenge if you're looking for a bit of quick inspiration or wanting to find a quick trick with the contents of your fridge - more labour of love than labour-saving (first fatten your pig...).

But this is a different kind of book. River Cottage Everyday is quite simply one of the more lovely and useful cookery books that I've been given in a while. It looks gorgeous - elegant layout, witty sketches and scribbles leaping from the pages alongside a photograph on every spread. And the recipes have had me slavering, or was it possibly even slobbering, as I've leafed through. The Lunch(box) section is great - beef with mustardy lentils and mint, pasties and frittata alongside three different 'slaws'. My kids are determined that we must create some of the fresh smoothies and the fishy section with quick fish soups, Thai fish curry and smoked fish and spinach omlette looks easy and yum. Oh and there's a whole section of imaginative (and potentially store cupboard friendly) salads.

I'm really chuffed with this book; whilst it is clearly for people who love food, it's been put together with such obvious enthusiasm that I reckon it's going to be an entertaining and easy ride from fridge to table. Definitely a book to keep by my side this autumn/winter and a cracking alternative to best-beloved tomes like Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries or my other firm favourite, Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook.
44 comments|231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2009
As a huge fan of the River Cottage series I was straight on to buying this book to add to the collection (I own every other one) and I was genuinely suprised by really how good this is. I find some of Hugh's other books can be a little preaching, which is fine with me because I agree with what he says but I can see how this makes the series daunting to others. Not so with this book. It is a plain and fairly simple recipe book encouraging families to have a go at eating homemade food. The instructions are fairly easy to follow and almost all of the recipes have a really good sized colour photo. Hugh tackles every meal, snacks, baking and recipies that can be cooked by all the family. There is a wide variety of recipies from the classics to more inventive dishes but there will be something for everyone. The only reason i only give the book 4 stars is I feel that a total novice cook wouldn't find the book as useable but for most people who can crack an egg this is a great start if you want to start cooking and stop relying on ready meals.
on 25 April 2011
`River Cottage Everyday' brings recipes that are a bit different than the normal ordinary everyday cookbook; although these could be served day after day and also for some special occasions too.

There are some excellent descriptions in the differences between cooking oils and flours. There are many pictures of the recipes and ones illustrating Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's narrations of his cooking experiences. Entertaining line drawings are added into many of the pages.

He introduces each section, which include recipes for; making breakfast, bread, lunch boxes, fish, thrifty meat, vegetables, which includes soups, fruit and treats. These are recipes that are a bit geared to European tastes and cooking rather than the heavy American comfort food. They are healthy and make use of fresh ingredients and provide some great alternatives for ordinary cooking. Hopefully you would have a taste for thyme, since many of the recipes seem to lean heavily on this seasoning.
There are many delicious smoothie recipes and some interesting healthy alternatives for lunch. Surprising hits with our family have been; kippers with smashed new potatoes, scotch broth salad, slow roast beef brisket with potatoes and onions, salad of baby peas ricotta and green onions, green beans with tomatoes, stuffed butternut squash and especially his version of Eton mess with raspberries. That will give you an idea of some of the types of food that you can find in this book

The recipes are clearly written and printed out, with enough white space around them, that even when a page has 3 on it, one can read and interpret what you should be doing very easily. This would provide an interesting addition to many cookbook collections.
on 9 October 2009
Over the years I bought enough Cook books to wallpaper my entire house at least twice with their pages. Most of them feature recipes with tons of ingredients you either never heard of, are not freely available and blow your budget. Most celeb chefs don't seem to realise that while you cook dinner, you supervise childrens homework, break up arguements and stop the dog from raiding the bin ect. This is my first River Cottage recipe book, but definately not the last. We've tried a fair few recipes already and they were all lovely, easy to follow. Most recipes are more then suitable to cook during the week and won't blow you budget. I can confidently recommend this book!
0Comment|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2010
After watching the tv series I was eager to purchase this book and get cracking at the recipes. I made the marbled lemon curd muffins and they were a disaster! Heavy and soggy. Not one for having many failures I decided to watch the episode ( which I had previously recorded )again. How different from the recipe in the book. Egg quantity was different. Also lemon curd was added to the mixture in the book recipe but put in the middle of the muffin on tv. Please get it right Hugh! This is the second time that I have wasted money on ingredients because weights and cooking temperatures were different in the books to what Hugh said in the tv series.
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2011
Having sat and watched the series, buying this book has helped me to feed a very fussy vegetarian child and has opened up our family use of veg. Some great, easy recipes. This comes from a very competent veggie cook!
on 18 September 2012
At first glance you won't feel compelled to cook anything from this book - it seems ordinary yet everything you make from it will be delicious and somehow whilst you think you don't need a recipe for fish in a bun you'll follow it and it will be nicer than the one you usually make. Once you make this discovery you will use the book all the time. I lent it to my sister for a week and went to use it so much that I had to buy her her own version. How many otehr cookery books do you have that you can't live without for a week?
on 4 November 2009
An inspiring and beautifully illustrated book of delicious recipes using readily available produce. Excellent chapters of ideas for breakfast and lunchbox meals, thrifty meat recipes and luscious, luscious treats. H F-W writes with clarity and enthusiasm. I love his lamb and squash curry using a jar of homemade chutney to add depth of flavour. No flashiness here, just loads of good ideas.
Helen