4.8 out of 5 stars1,389
Format: HardcoverChange

VINE VOICEon 2 September 2011
Having bought HFW's River Cottage Every Day and been impressed with the vegetarian options available in that offering I jumped at the opportunity to buy this book and have not been disappointed. ALL recipes are vegetarian and are split in to the following, beautifully photographed, chapters (including some recipes):

Comfort Food and Feasts - aubergine pamigiana, pinto bean chilli
Heart Salads - spelt salad with squash and fennel, fish-free salad nicoise
Raw Assemblies - red cabbage, parsnip, orange and dates
Hefty Soups - Mexican tomato and bean soup, ribollita
Bready Things - vegiflette toastie, various rarebits
Store-cupboard Suppers - spring onion gallete, oven-roasted roots frittata
Pasta and Rice - baby carrot and pea risotto, vegeree
Mezze and Tapas - carrot hummus, Cambodian wedding day dip
Roast, Grill and BBQ - roasted aubergine boats
Side Dishes (including sweet asides) - runner beans with tomato and garlic, pumpkin and raisin tea loaf

Each chapter is stacked full of recipes that will keep you going with something new for a while. In addition, and this is something that runs through all HFW cookbooks, all recipies are achievable, quick/relatively quick to cook and contain ingredients that can all be purchased locally rather than online. I haven't found a single recipe that I will not try and again, in keeping with previous HFW cookbooks, he has outlined simple variations on the recipies and has thought about practicalities of some recipies by suggesting them as a simple, healthy alternatives to a boring sandwitch at lunch.

A fantastic cookbook. Highly recommended.
2323 comments436 of 445 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2011
First let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Fearnley-Whittingstall. Generally seems a bit overblown to me. I say this not to be mean, but to emphasise that I am not a devotee of River Cottage and its fearless leader...just this book, which is absolutely amazing.

I've recently been focusing on the need to add more veg to my diet, but all my vegetarian cookbooks either try to replace meat (think tempeh and nut loaf),just chuck the veg with some pasta or into a pie, or have a list of exotic ingredients as long as your arm.

This book doesn't focus on what's missing in a vegetarian diet, but focuses on the veg and how to make them taste great in a number of simple ways. I've had the book for a month and used it at least 10 times. The recipes are easy to follow, the suggestions for modifications are brilliant, and the food just tastes good. Even my carnivore husband has complimented the recipes and asked for more!

Which brings me to another point - these recipes are very easy to chuck some chicken or fish into if you fancy. You just don't happen to miss it if you don't.

I have recommended this book to all my friends and will continue to use it on a regular basis. It's fab!
1818 comments528 of 541 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2014
I realise that there have been a number of complaints about this book: recipes are too simple for seasoned cooks; recipes are too difficult; there are no spices; watch out for the spicy ginger in the parsnip and ginger soup, etc. etc. BUT for me, personally, this book deserves a five-star rating as its recipes involve a careful balancing of ingredients, seasoning and cooking methods, in order to bring out the very best in each dish. I love it!

In fact, I think it was worth buying for the roasted veg ratatouille recipe. I've served it as part of a mediterranean-style buffet and it is definitely the star dish. The tomato sauce, which is used for completing the ratatouille, smelled absolutely divine while bubbling away on the cooker top, and could easily be slung over some pasta for a quick supper, or used on a pizza base. I love the word 'fragrant'... which, quite possibly, describes the sauce and the finished ratatouille best in my view.

Not even remotely disappointed with this book. Instead, I would say that it exceeded my already high expectations. Perhaps, if you are an experienced home cook, you will want something more challenging, but I find it very difficult to believe reviews which state that the results of their efforts were 'bland' or the recipes 'uninspiring'. I am a rather experienced cook myself. Having a collection of recipes which combine vegetables - and vegetables totally sans meat! - with such insight into their varying properties is an absolute asset to any kitchen, in my opinion.
on 29 December 2011
Having sat and watched the series, buying this book has helped me to feed a very fussy vegetarian child and has opened up our family use of veg. Some great, easy recipes. This comes from a very competent veggie cook!
0Comment29 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2011
Another wonderful book to add to the River Cottage collection and, whether accidentally or deliberate, seems to complete the set of Meat, Fish and now Veg. As an allotment veg grower this is an invaluable source of different and delicious options for those crops that sometimes turn into gluts!

Within the first chapter alone there are so many flavourful and interesting recipes that it just makes you want to get cooking and this continues throughout what is a generous number of recipes. I am confident that all cooks will benefit from adding this book to their collection and will certainly not be disappointed!
0Comment67 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2011
What a marvellous book! I have been a fan of all things River Cottage for a while, but being a vegetarian the number of recipes available to me in the other RC books has sometimes been limited. This is a fantastic development from the original "Everyday" book, (which is also very good) and a very welcome one for someone who has been a vegetarian for almost 25 years. There is also lots of stuff for vegans too - well done Hugh!

Usually I skim through a new recipe book, and find a few things that look interesting, a lot that sound complicated or use unusual ingredients, and others that simply don't appeal. In this book, everything sounds interesting, accessible and straightforward. Beautiful photos add to the appeal. Hugh also usefully includes a list of storecupboard ingredients which are the basis of many of his recipes, and this will help to ensure that you have everything you need to get cooking.
0Comment182 of 205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2011
I paid the full £[] for this book, within days of it coming out. I think its worth it. I now see its £[] and all I can say is that is a bargain. The high quality pictures make the recipes jump off the pages. What I love about HFW recipe books is that the recipes are so accessible. I have tried a couscous recipe and the Asian-inspired coleslaw. What has amazed me is that the vegetables I seem to have a glut of at the moment such as Aubergines and Kale can be so easily prepared into simple recipes. The book also has a few bread and vegetable recipes, which I am going to try next. In particular kale and onion pizza, refried beans foldover and the garlicky flat bread. There is a section on mezze and tapas and things to do on the grill, as well as soups, hefty salads and main course meals. I have probably missed some sections. Each recipe has a large photo of what it could look like and simple colourful drawings complete the design. The food sells the recipe, rather than fancy table clothes, glossy images and decorative plates. I also like the well thought out recipe design and that the words are large enough to read without my glasses. The book is not glossy and somehow it feels wholesome and comforting to touch. I am even thinking of eating less meat.
0Comment40 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2011
This is a cookbook full of meals that are vegetarian (and some vegan) rather than a vegetarian cookbook, read Hugh's foreword to see where he is coming from. I've been a vegetarian for many years and have around 200 cookbooks both omnivore and vegetarian. This one has the highest percentage of recipes that I want to cook and actually have cooked. I am steadily working my way through and have not been disappointed yet, Hugh eschews the meat substitute approach to cooking meals without meat and instead concentrates on letting good vegetables and flavours speak for themselves. I'm not against meat substitutes because it is often hard to find imaginative vegetarian recipes which don't take a long time to prepare but these are straightforward. I don't care if you think vegetarian food should be made with real vegetarians, unless you actively hate anything that isn't meat, there will be lots of stuff here that will make your mouth water and you will be able to cook even after a hard day's grind.
on 27 November 2011
This is a beautiful looking cookbook and some of the recipes are absolutely delicious such as the aubergine parmagiana, the risotto with chestnuts and thyme and the mushroom lasagne. However, be warned that some of the seemingly straightforward recipes are quite labour-intensive or require several pans and are more suitable for weekend cooking as opposed to midweek meals. After all, HFW is someone who can use 4 pans to make one ratatouille!!
88 comments78 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2011
I've been a fan of Hugh and all things River Cottage for a while, and his latest offering does not disappoint!

I'm not actually a vegetarian - in fact, I'm a rather enthusiastic carnivore - but I do love my vegetables too and, after looking through a few vegetarian cookbooks searching for a bit of variety to add to my daily meals, I happened upon Veg Every Day. There are some really fantastic recipes in there, from elegant salads and flavoursome dressings to hearty stews and soups guaranteed to satisfy lovers of rich, tasty food. They take a bit of time to prepare and cook, but the time spent is always well worth it.

Having only bought the book recently I've not made too much from it, however so far I can recommend the Chachouka (a sort of tomato, onion and pepper stew from North Africa) and Suede and Potato Pasties - especially delicious at this time of year. There are so many recipes I've made a mental note of to try over the coming weeks, and there are only a few recipes in the whole book that don't appeal to me.

From what I've seen, this is definitely the best vegetarian cookbook out there at the moment, and is long overdue. If you're into your veggies, or are just wanting a bit of a change from meat or fish, or even if you simply want to impress your vegetarian friends, buy it - you won't be disappointed!
0Comment46 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse