4.7 out of 5 stars1,701
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on 15 December 2015
As its a recipe book it's very hard to find the correct page/recipe I won't be downloading any more cook books I find it much easier finding what I want with a hard copy thanks
on 24 November 2013
I'm a reasonably accomplished general home cook and I've completed a couple of week-long vegetarian cookery courses so I know this field quite well. All the recipes I've tried from this book have turned out to be mediocre or just plain horrible. Lots of the basic instructions - especially cooking times and temperatures - seem to be wrong, the ingredients are mis-matched and, although there is a nod in the direction of nutrition, this is cooking at its stodgiest. As some other reviewers have noted, the recipes also tend to be time consuming and heavy on washing up.

I'm guessing that most of these recipes haven't been tested and have been chosen for their photogenic qualities at the cost of taste or texture. Vegetarian cuisine really doesn't need to be like this, as a glance at the Vegetarian Society's website will demonstrate.
on 21 September 2015
I have been phasing meat out of most of my meals for awhile now (I now only eat meat twice a week) and I've been looking for new and exciting things to do with veg. This book failed to provide, doing little more than putting different vegetable on a plate for most "recipes" Hugh even has the audacity to combine tomatoes and herbs and call it a recipe. Do yourself a favour and don't bother buying this.
on 19 May 2014
myself and my partner are both vegetarian and love cooking, i love the idea of growing your own food and cooking it and enjoy hughs shows, however we have tried several of the recipes in this book and been disappointed by all of them, not for me.
on 16 November 2012
Being a vegetarian for over 20 years i found the recipes in this book bland and uninspiring. Not a GOOD BOOK TO CONVERT NEW VEGETARIANS. I've seen better recipes in cheap vegi books. There was not one recipe that i wanted to try. Come on Hugh put more effort in.
44 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2012
Tried several recipes, but none are wow or even tasty or flavoursome. What is good is presentation, and ease of reading recipes. Sadly, would not recommend.
on 3 October 2014
I was expecting the recipes from the series but this was not the case. Very disappointing and average run of the mill dishes.
on 1 March 2013
In my opinion, the book of the TV show should have ALL the recipes that appeared on TV, and this one does not.

So if you watched the TV show, that is NOT a guide to what is in this book.
on 21 June 2013
I bought this based on the rave reviews looking for inspiration. Frankly, I've found better vegetarian recipies in my head! I have frantically searched the book for one single recipie that looks even vaguely interesting and tasty. Nada. After a few hours reading it went straight in the bin, couldn't even give it away. Don't be fooled if you can cook you don't need this.
on 4 May 2014
I was really looking forward to getting this as I thought it would be filled with delicious side dishes and interesting accompaniments along with main courses.

I realise a lot of this is down to personal preference but it seems every recipe features the few vegetables I hate which are mushrooms, fennel, aubergine and courgettes. Gross.

Also there were huge sections for salad and soup. I wouldn't mind a few interesting combinations but it was just the same old salads and soups everyone can make.

I'm so disappointed and will be giving it to someone who likes mushrooms more.