5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to add veg to your diet
First let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Fearnley-Whittingstall. Generally seems a bit overblown to me. I say this not to be mean, but to emphasise that I am not a devotee of River Cottage and its fearless leader...just this book, which is absolutely amazing.

Published on 31 Oct 2011 by KatieG

3.0 out of 5 stars River Cottage Veg Every Day!
Published on 27 Nov 2011 by Shopaholic

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to add veg to your diet, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day) (Hardcover)

I've recently been focusing on the need to add more veg to my diet, but all my vegetarian cookbooks either try to replace meat (think tempeh and nut loaf),just chuck the veg with some pasta or into a pie, or have a list of exotic ingredients as long as your arm.

This book doesn't focus on what's missing in a vegetarian diet, but focuses on the veg and how to make them taste great in a number of simple ways. I've had the book for a month and used it at least 10 times. The recipes are easy to follow, the suggestions for modifications are brilliant, and the food just tastes good. Even my carnivore husband has complimented the recipes and asked for more!

Which brings me to another point - these recipes are very easy to chuck some chicken or fish into if you fancy. You just don't happen to miss it if you don't.

I have recommended this book to all my friends and will continue to use it on a regular basis. It's fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vegetarians Delight, 2 Sep 2011
J. Milton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having bought HFW's River Cottage Every Day and been impressed with the vegetarian options available in that offering I jumped at the opportunity to buy this book and have not been disappointed. ALL recipes are vegetarian and are split in to the following, beautifully photographed, chapters (including some recipes):

Comfort Food and Feasts - aubergine pamigiana, pinto bean chilli
Heart Salads - spelt salad with squash and fennel, fish-free salad nicoise
Raw Assemblies - red cabbage, parsnip, orange and dates
Hefty Soups - Mexican tomato and bean soup, ribollita
Bready Things - vegiflette toastie, various rarebits
Store-cupboard Suppers - spring onion gallete, oven-roasted roots frittata
Pasta and Rice - baby carrot and pea risotto, vegeree
Mezze and Tapas - carrot hummus, Cambodian wedding day dip
Roast, Grill and BBQ - roasted aubergine boats
Side Dishes (including sweet asides) - runner beans with tomato and garlic, pumpkin and raisin tea loaf

Each chapter is stacked full of recipes that will keep you going with something new for a while. In addition, and this is something that runs through all HFW cookbooks, all recipies are achievable, quick/relatively quick to cook and contain ingredients that can all be purchased locally rather than online. I haven't found a single recipe that I will not try and again, in keeping with previous HFW cookbooks, he has outlined simple variations on the recipies and has thought about practicalities of some recipies by suggesting them as a simple, healthy alternatives to a boring sandwitch at lunch.

A fantastic cookbook. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feeding my veggie child!, 29 Dec 2011
Having sat and watched the series, buying this book has helped me to feed a very fussy vegetarian child and has opened up our family use of veg. Some great, easy recipes. This comes from a very competent veggie cook!

5.0 out of 5 stars very tasty, 8 Sep 2011
Previously not really done Hughs books , too many toes and nose for me , being a veggie but this of course is perfect . Not as flash as the god Ottelenghi . This is more down to earth easy peasy stuff , using what you already have in the cupboard [ with out having to source weird ingredients or use every spoon in the drawer] .A few old classics too , with a different twist . Already made some great meals from this . Does what it says- veg every day . A must for those people who live off soya mince or say " what do you possibly eat as a veggie ".

5.0 out of 5 stars My best cookbook ever!, 4 Sep 2011
What a marvellous book! I have been a fan of all things River Cottage for a while, but being a vegetarian the number of recipes available to me in the other RC books has sometimes been limited. This is a fantastic development from the original "Everyday" book, (which is also very good) and a very welcome one for someone who has been a vegetarian for almost 25 years. There is also lots of stuff for vegans too - well done Hugh!

Usually I skim through a new recipe book, and find a few things that look interesting, a lot that sound complicated or use unusual ingredients, and others that simply don't appeal. In this book, everything sounds interesting, accessible and straightforward. Beautiful photos add to the appeal. Hugh also usefully includes a list of storecupboard ingredients which are the basis of many of his recipes, and this will help to ensure that you have everything you need to get cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational stuff - can't wait to get stuck in!, 5 Sep 2011
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My first HFW cook-book and I'm impressed! This is a big fat book and every recipe is beautifully photographed - makes you want to get stuck in and ditch the meat! I've become increasingly concerned about the unsustainabiity of a growing population eating meat on a daily basis. I think it's time for me to return to the situation I lived in as a child where a chicken was a treat, there was an occasional joint of beef at Christmas - and that was it! Much healthier and much more eco-friendly...might help the waistline a bit too? Sermon over! To be fair, HFW doesn't preach at all - he just presents a wonderful cornucopia of vegetables that make your mouth water: the beetroot and walnut hummus looks fab and I love the look of the carrot and chickpea fillling for pitta breads. As someone concerned about calories I will be halving (at least) the amount of oil he recommends - sometimes 5 or 6 tablespoons in a recipe which is quite unnecessary in my experience. Apart from that - brill book that I know I will use for ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Oct 2011
Recipes are straight forward, practical and delicious. The term everyday its well chosen in the title. This is a book you will readily use day to day. Simple and unfussy food. Deserves a place alongside Ottolenghi, Cafe Paradiso and Cranks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 8 Oct 2011
Bryn J. Richards (Uk) - See all my reviews
Since moving to a new city and starting a new job I lost the will to cook. I was making curry every day because it's what I knew and it was easy but I bought Hugh's new book the other weekend. Since then I've loved cooking again and am now enjoying all of my meals. Not only does he supply you with great recipes but these recipes put a slant on old favourites which means you can create a hybrid between your own and Hugh's ideas which so far has resulted in amazing dishes.

So overall this book is extremely worth the price (amazon price anyway), all the recipes are really solid and appealing and it has lovely design. Buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars River Cottage Veg Every Day!, 27 Nov 2011
This is a beautiful looking cookbook and some of the recipes are absolutely delicious such as the aubergine parmagiana, the risotto with chestnuts and thyme and the mushroom lasagne. However, be warned that some of the seemingly straightforward recipes are quite labour-intensive or require several pans and are more suitable for weekend cooking as opposed to midweek meals. After all, HFW is someone who can use 4 pans to make one ratatouille!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another sure fire hit - not just for vegetarians!, 2 Sep 2011
Another wonderful book to add to the River Cottage collection and, whether accidentally or deliberate, seems to complete the set of Meat, Fish and now Veg. As an allotment veg grower this is an invaluable source of different and delicious options for those crops that sometimes turn into gluts!

Within the first chapter alone there are so many flavourful and interesting recipes that it just makes you want to get cooking and this continues throughout what is a generous number of recipes. I am confident that all cooks will benefit from adding this book to their collection and will certainly not be disappointed!

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day) by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Hardcover - 19 Sep 2011)
12.50