1,218 Reviews
 (1,029)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vegetarians Delight
Having bought HFW's River Cottage Every Day and been impressed with the vegetarian options available in that offering I jumped at the opportunity to buy this book and have not been disappointed. ALL recipes are vegetarian and are split in to the following, beautifully photographed, chapters (including some recipes):

Comfort Food and Feasts - aubergine...
Published on 2 Sept. 2011 by J. Milton

3.0 out of 5 stars River Cottage Veg Every Day!
This is a beautiful looking cookbook and some of the recipes are absolutely delicious such as the aubergine parmagiana, the risotto with chestnuts and thyme and the mushroom lasagne. However, be warned that some of the seemingly straightforward recipes are quite labour-intensive or require several pans and are more suitable for weekend cooking as opposed to midweek meals...
Published on 27 Nov. 2011 by Shopaholic

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vegetarians Delight, 2 Sept. 2011
J. Milton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day) (Hardcover)

Comfort Food and Feasts - aubergine pamigiana, pinto bean chilli
Heart Salads - spelt salad with squash and fennel, fish-free salad nicoise
Raw Assemblies - red cabbage, parsnip, orange and dates
Hefty Soups - Mexican tomato and bean soup, ribollita
Bready Things - vegiflette toastie, various rarebits
Store-cupboard Suppers - spring onion gallete, oven-roasted roots frittata
Pasta and Rice - baby carrot and pea risotto, vegeree
Mezze and Tapas - carrot hummus, Cambodian wedding day dip
Roast, Grill and BBQ - roasted aubergine boats
Side Dishes (including sweet asides) - runner beans with tomato and garlic, pumpkin and raisin tea loaf

Each chapter is stacked full of recipes that will keep you going with something new for a while. In addition, and this is something that runs through all HFW cookbooks, all recipies are achievable, quick/relatively quick to cook and contain ingredients that can all be purchased locally rather than online. I haven't found a single recipe that I will not try and again, in keeping with previous HFW cookbooks, he has outlined simple variations on the recipies and has thought about practicalities of some recipies by suggesting them as a simple, healthy alternatives to a boring sandwitch at lunch.

A fantastic cookbook. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to add veg to your diet, 31 Oct. 2011
First let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Fearnley-Whittingstall. Generally seems a bit overblown to me. I say this not to be mean, but to emphasise that I am not a devotee of River Cottage and its fearless leader...just this book, which is absolutely amazing.

I've recently been focusing on the need to add more veg to my diet, but all my vegetarian cookbooks either try to replace meat (think tempeh and nut loaf),just chuck the veg with some pasta or into a pie, or have a list of exotic ingredients as long as your arm.

This book doesn't focus on what's missing in a vegetarian diet, but focuses on the veg and how to make them taste great in a number of simple ways. I've had the book for a month and used it at least 10 times. The recipes are easy to follow, the suggestions for modifications are brilliant, and the food just tastes good. Even my carnivore husband has complimented the recipes and asked for more!

Which brings me to another point - these recipes are very easy to chuck some chicken or fish into if you fancy. You just don't happen to miss it if you don't.

I have recommended this book to all my friends and will continue to use it on a regular basis. It's fab!

4.0 out of 5 stars Feeding my veggie child!, 29 Dec. 2011
Having sat and watched the series, buying this book has helped me to feed a very fussy vegetarian child and has opened up our family use of veg. Some great, easy recipes. This comes from a very competent veggie cook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook I've bought in ages, 7 Jan. 2012
This book was on my Christmas list, but unfortunately must have fallen out of Santa's sack as it didn't arrive on Christmas morning! I was a bit disappointed to be honest, but thought I'd treat myself and buy it and I'm very glad I did. Already this book has paid for itself. I've cooked about 5 dishes in the 2 weeks since I bought it and have a list of recipes that I can't wait to try.

The index is organised so that you can find recipes for a certain vegetable easily - I had some leftover beetroot from Christmas and was wondering what to do with them - went to the index and there were several recipes to try. I plumped for the beetroot hummous and was very glad I did - it was tasty, easy to make and I had everything required for it in the storecupboard (stale bread, walnuts, olive oil and garlic). This saved the beetroot from the bin or just ending up roasted at the side of Sunday's beef! I'll definitely be making it again as everyone loved it. I've also got a cauliflower in my fridge that needs using, so we are trying the cauliflower and chickpea curry tonight, although there were several other options on how to use it up.

The chapter on storecupboard recipes will probably prove invaluable over the next few weeks as I try and make it to payday!

Just like everyone else, I'm looking to save money and eat healthily, but I still love trying new recipes and hate being bored with my food - this book has inspired me. I can buy the offers in the supermarkets and know that I can come home and find a recipe in this book to make a meal out of it.

At last a cook book that makes the vegetables exciting and not just something to serve at the side of the roast. I cook for my husband (a chef) and my teenage son (a trainee chef) and, so far, they have loved the recipes I have cooked and not complained about the lack of meat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Oct. 2011
Recipes are straight forward, practical and delicious. The term everyday its well chosen in the title. This is a book you will readily use day to day. Simple and unfussy food. Deserves a place alongside Ottolenghi, Cafe Paradiso and Cranks.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!, 5 Oct. 2011
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I am a massive Hugh fan and have his 'Everyday' book which is my all time favourite recipie book so had high hopes for his new 'veg' book...

... I was not dissapointed!

I have surprised myself with how many of the recipies I have already made from the book (all to great success)

The'oven dried' tomatoes are amazing, aubergine and green bean curry, welsh rarebit, re-fried bean foldovers(AMAZING!!), tomato and goats cheese tart (yum!), raw tomato pasta.... honestly I could go on and on and I have only had the book a few weeks.

I love the way the recipies are easy to follow, don't require too many ingrediants and Hugh makes it seem so easy you feel confident to freestyle it a little bit too.

I would recomend this book to anyone, even those that wouldn't usually have mainly veg meals. We have been eating at least two nights a week from the book since we bought it and really enjoying our veggies!

YUM YUM YUM! If you liked 'Everyday' I promise you will LOVE this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - and not just for vegetarians, either!, 14 Sept. 2011
Roz Turner (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been a fan of Hugh and all things River Cottage for a while, and his latest offering does not disappoint!

I'm not actually a vegetarian - in fact, I'm a rather enthusiastic carnivore - but I do love my vegetables too and, after looking through a few vegetarian cookbooks searching for a bit of variety to add to my daily meals, I happened upon Veg Every Day. There are some really fantastic recipes in there, from elegant salads and flavoursome dressings to hearty stews and soups guaranteed to satisfy lovers of rich, tasty food. They take a bit of time to prepare and cook, but the time spent is always well worth it.

Having only bought the book recently I've not made too much from it, however so far I can recommend the Chachouka (a sort of tomato, onion and pepper stew from North Africa) and Suede and Potato Pasties - especially delicious at this time of year. There are so many recipes I've made a mental note of to try over the coming weeks, and there are only a few recipes in the whole book that don't appeal to me.

From what I've seen, this is definitely the best vegetarian cookbook out there at the moment, and is long overdue. If you're into your veggies, or are just wanting a bit of a change from meat or fish, or even if you simply want to impress your vegetarian friends, buy it - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars My best cookbook ever!, 4 Sept. 2011
What a marvellous book! I have been a fan of all things River Cottage for a while, but being a vegetarian the number of recipes available to me in the other RC books has sometimes been limited. This is a fantastic development from the original "Everyday" book, (which is also very good) and a very welcome one for someone who has been a vegetarian for almost 25 years. There is also lots of stuff for vegans too - well done Hugh!

Usually I skim through a new recipe book, and find a few things that look interesting, a lot that sound complicated or use unusual ingredients, and others that simply don't appeal. In this book, everything sounds interesting, accessible and straightforward. Beautiful photos add to the appeal. Hugh also usefully includes a list of storecupboard ingredients which are the basis of many of his recipes, and this will help to ensure that you have everything you need to get cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE for meat eaters too!, 7 Nov. 2011
L. White "summer loving" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
After whipping up a speedy lunch of delicious 'Quick chickpea pasta' and feeding my ravenous friends the highly successful 'Pinto bean chilli' on bonfire night I feel I have to add my 5 stars to River Cottage Veg. The book is an absolute revelation! My partner and I are trying to cut down on meat for environmental and health reasons and this book has helped immensely by introducing us to new ingredients (i.e. spelt pearl) and showing us alternatives for meat dishes like curry (aubergine & green bean / Chard & new potato) and lasagne (Squash and fennel / Mushroom & Kale).

It's crammed with delicious, healthy (and some not so healthy cheesey comfort food classics!) veggie recipes and Hugh offers alternative ingredients for times of year which is handy if you buy local produce. The book has changed my store cupboard and helped me increase the number of veggie meals we have without compromising on taste. We have also saved money because veg is cheaper and goes a long way!

I have been showing my friends and family this book and sharing many of the recipes. We all like the fact that Hugh does not preach and is not trying to convert us! I will be buying this for everyone this Christmas and spreading the veg love!

Well done Hugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING BOOK VERY TASTY FOOD INDEED!, 7 May 2012
What can I say I totally agree with the other reviewers, this book is worth every penny! Having watched the series on TV we decided to have one veggie day a week. The recipes in this book are so easy to make yet very very tasty we are now eating veggie most days using the book and loving it. It's got us cooking in a totally different way, using ingredients we've never used before. We've even planted our own veg off the back of this book, it's so inspiring. Even our full-on carnivore friends have loved it. The ethos behind this is that eating less meat is better for your health, the planet and your pocket!! Give it a go you won't be disappointed!!

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day) by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Hardcover - 19 Sept. 2011)