1,190 Reviews
 (1,007)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vegetarians Delight
Having bought HFW's River Cottage Every Day and been impressed with the vegetarian options available in that offering I jumped at the opportunity to buy this book and have not been disappointed. ALL recipes are vegetarian and are split in to the following, beautifully photographed, chapters (including some recipes):

Comfort Food and Feasts - aubergine...
Published on 2 Sept. 2011 by J. Milton

3.0 out of 5 stars River Cottage Veg Every Day!
This is a beautiful looking cookbook and some of the recipes are absolutely delicious such as the aubergine parmagiana, the risotto with chestnuts and thyme and the mushroom lasagne. However, be warned that some of the seemingly straightforward recipes are quite labour-intensive or require several pans and are more suitable for weekend cooking as opposed to midweek meals...
Published on 27 Nov. 2011 by Shopaholic

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vegetarians Delight, 2 Sept. 2011
J. Milton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day) (Hardcover)

Comfort Food and Feasts - aubergine pamigiana, pinto bean chilli
Heart Salads - spelt salad with squash and fennel, fish-free salad nicoise
Raw Assemblies - red cabbage, parsnip, orange and dates
Hefty Soups - Mexican tomato and bean soup, ribollita
Bready Things - vegiflette toastie, various rarebits
Store-cupboard Suppers - spring onion gallete, oven-roasted roots frittata
Pasta and Rice - baby carrot and pea risotto, vegeree
Mezze and Tapas - carrot hummus, Cambodian wedding day dip
Roast, Grill and BBQ - roasted aubergine boats
Side Dishes (including sweet asides) - runner beans with tomato and garlic, pumpkin and raisin tea loaf

Each chapter is stacked full of recipes that will keep you going with something new for a while. In addition, and this is something that runs through all HFW cookbooks, all recipies are achievable, quick/relatively quick to cook and contain ingredients that can all be purchased locally rather than online. I haven't found a single recipe that I will not try and again, in keeping with previous HFW cookbooks, he has outlined simple variations on the recipies and has thought about practicalities of some recipies by suggesting them as a simple, healthy alternatives to a boring sandwitch at lunch.

A fantastic cookbook. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way to add veg to your diet, 31 Oct. 2011
First let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Fearnley-Whittingstall. Generally seems a bit overblown to me. I say this not to be mean, but to emphasise that I am not a devotee of River Cottage and its fearless leader...just this book, which is absolutely amazing.

I've recently been focusing on the need to add more veg to my diet, but all my vegetarian cookbooks either try to replace meat (think tempeh and nut loaf),just chuck the veg with some pasta or into a pie, or have a list of exotic ingredients as long as your arm.

This book doesn't focus on what's missing in a vegetarian diet, but focuses on the veg and how to make them taste great in a number of simple ways. I've had the book for a month and used it at least 10 times. The recipes are easy to follow, the suggestions for modifications are brilliant, and the food just tastes good. Even my carnivore husband has complimented the recipes and asked for more!

Which brings me to another point - these recipes are very easy to chuck some chicken or fish into if you fancy. You just don't happen to miss it if you don't.

I have recommended this book to all my friends and will continue to use it on a regular basis. It's fab!

4.0 out of 5 stars Feeding my veggie child!, 29 Dec. 2011
Having sat and watched the series, buying this book has helped me to feed a very fussy vegetarian child and has opened up our family use of veg. Some great, easy recipes. This comes from a very competent veggie cook!

5.0 out of 5 stars River Cottage Veg Every Day!, 7 Jan. 2015
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is keen to point out in the very beginning of this delicious cookbook that this is a ‘vegetable’ cookbook. The author is not a vegetarian, nor does he aim to persuade anyone to become a vegetarian; but there is no meat or fish in any of the recipes which obviously makes it ideal for vegetarians. However, it also means that it might persuade people generally to stop putting meat or fish at the centre of the plate and try out some of these delicious recipes. We all need to eat more vegetables and the recipes here are certainly ideal for anyone who wants to cook more vegetables, but has come to something of a halt due to lack of inspiration or ideas.

The recipes are split into: Comfort food and feasts, Hearty salads, Raw assemblies, Hefty Soups, Bready things, Store-cupboard suppers, Pasta and rice, Mezze and Tapas, Roast, grill and barbecue and Side Dishes. I watched the television series on the author’s attempt to eat more veg himself and get more vegetable main dishes into the restaurant with interest. This is absolutely huge – at over 400 pages – and packed with recipes. Having had this book since Christmas I have tried out quite a few of the recipes and they have not only been a hit with me, but also, most importantly, with my children. Recipes are well laid out and easy to follow and, if you should need more persuading, think how much cheaper your shopping bill would be if you had a vegetarian main dish just once or twice a week. I heartily recommend giving this a try and find it has become one of my most turned to cook books for inspiration and easy to prepare daily meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO SO good and foolproof!, 14 Dec. 2012
Get this book! I have tried about 10 recipes now and half of them are now regular meals, appearing on my table at least once a fortnight!

One important thing about cooking these recipes - In Hugh you must trust. Some measurements may seem off, maybe too much stock or spinach for example, but it always turns out perfect.

Some choice recipes...
mexican tomato and bean soup
penne and spinach souffle (never cooked a souffle in my life and this turned out amazing!)
swede and potato pasties
parsnip and ginger soup
sweet potato biriyani (makes loads and works with lots of veg, great for leftovers!)
pinto bean chilli

Looking forward to trying the amazing looking pizzas and starters next (vegetable tempura with chilli dip anyone?) Such creative flavoursome dishes cannot be passed up.
In conclusion... GET THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Oct. 2011
Recipes are straight forward, practical and delicious. The term everyday its well chosen in the title. This is a book you will readily use day to day. Simple and unfussy food. Deserves a place alongside Ottolenghi, Cafe Paradiso and Cranks.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, 22 Jan. 2013
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is on a mission to get people to eat more vegetables. And what better way to get you in the kitchen than with this fantastic hardback complete with over 400 pages of recipes and beautiful full colour photos.

Hugh's writing style is very much that of a down to earth, practical cook than a celebrity chef, which makes this book that bit more accessible to the casual reader. He points out in his introduction this isn't a vegetarian book, although it is certainly meat and fish free, but more a book that's purpose is to debunk the myth that cooking with vegetable produces meals which are bland or unpalatable. The focus is all about how to cook vegetables properly and teaching correct preparation.

This a book you know you can rely on to just pick up and then get cracking in the kitchen. The recipes are simplistic enough to follow on an everyday basis and, as you will find, well worth the effort too.

5.0 out of 5 stars This could convert you!, 24 Oct. 2011
We were having some vegetarian friends to dinner last Saturday and I was panicking about what to cook, when Hugh's new series came on the TV and I immediately ordered the book. I did what I always intend to do, but rarely manage, and read it from cover to cover as my bedtime reading and it is really inspiring! I couldn't wait to get started on the recipes and was spoilt for choice for the dinner party. In the end I cooked the kale and mushroom lasagne (p34) with a carrot, orange and cashew salad (p107)for the starter. I also made the pistachio dukka (p294) to dip our bread in and it is absolutely gorgeous. The granita dessert was from Jamie's 30 Minute Meals (also a great book). Our friends were very impressed and I think we could even be converted to vegetarianism with all these mouth watering recipes to choose from. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars very tasty, 8 Sept. 2011
Previously not really done Hughs books , too many toes and nose for me , being a veggie but this of course is perfect . Not as flash as the god Ottelenghi . This is more down to earth easy peasy stuff , using what you already have in the cupboard [ with out having to source weird ingredients or use every spoon in the drawer] .A few old classics too , with a different twist . Already made some great meals from this . Does what it says- veg every day . A must for those people who live off soya mince or say " what do you possibly eat as a veggie ".

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cookery books you will ever buy., 19 July 2012
doublegone (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have shelves full of cookery books, general, fish and vegetarian. I can say very confidently that this is one of the most reliable, useful and satisfying that I own.

When reviewing a cookery book I like to score a few individual dishes too. Clear a substantial proportion of the rest of your life to be making and eating the Chickpea Ketchup Curry on page 245. Now this isn't going to win any awards for authenticity as it uses curry powder rather than individual spices - and yes a great big dollop of ketchup! But it is as zingy, tangy and satisfying a quick curry as you will ever make. 5/5.

Hugh is pretty good on curry generally and elsewhere there are fab biryani, dahl and cauliflower concoctions.

The Pasta with Raw Tomato on page 254 made a nice change but I think I would prefer to go for cooked sauce most of the time. The flavour is just more intensified. So I would rate that 3/5. However, Hugh's sauce is a big hit for me on toast for bruscheta instead.

The Leek and Cheese Toastie on page 202 is another one that gets a regular outing from me (5/5). Its simple. It doesn't look like he has done much. But its all about the clever combination of a few simple ingredients.

That is I think what is at the heart of any good cook book. It must add value to the ingredients. I don't want to follow a recipe then think: Hmm I could have made something else better than this with the same things. That never happens with Hugh. The sum is always greater than the parts, sometimes substantially so.

Some more pluses:

He is very honest about his influences. Many of the recipes give a namecheck to other cooks who have inspired them.

The book is nice and robust with a wipeable cover. Its a real bugbear of mine when a cookery book is too delicate for the rough and tumble of the kitchen.

The vast majority of ingredients are cheap, common and easily found.

And the quibbles? They are few but:

While it is undoubtedly healthy for people to eat more vegetables, the recipes here are not necessarily healthy in themselves. He throws butter, cream and cheese around quite a bit. I saw Hugh on TV recently admit he wasn't one for knowing about health other than keeping things varied and fresh.

My only other quibble is really a compliment - I want to make so many of these meals again and again that its really tricky to find them all in the book. It could be a bit easier to navigate.

But this is a sure fire winner. It only has one serious rival in my view: Vegetarian

Buy them both and you will be eating vibrant, tasty, veggie food you will never tire of.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day) by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Hardcover - 19 Sept. 2011)