5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - quirky, readable and warm, 14 Mar 2011
John Tierney (Wirral, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Help Me, Jacques Cousteau (Paperback)
An excellent book. I saw it reviewed in the Grauniad a few Saturdays ago and took a punt and was well rewarded. A series of stories about Hazel who is growing up in Canada with an eccentric family. Wonderfully funny in a very gentle way - I kept laughing out loud - warm, but realistic, we see Hazel at various stages of her childhood and early adulthood. We meet her parents, brother, uncles, grandparents and other characters all perfectly sketched. Divorce, death and mental health are all touched on, but it's still a great, positive read.

Told in the first person, Hazel (and therefore the author) clearly sees the world in a different way to the way I do and I enjoyed her perspective and turns of phrase. Not a big book - 197 pages including some chapter dividers it's definitely possible to tackle in one go (although I didn't - but I read it whenever I could).

I'll definitely check out The Outlander based on this. It reminded me in some ways of The Earth Hums in B Flat, which I also really enjoyed, and that is definitely no bad thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetic, 24 Feb 2011
R. Rowland "Big Bobby" (Fulking,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Help Me, Jacques Cousteau (Paperback)
Very well written short selection of connected stories.
It led me to Gil Adamsons 'The Outlander' which is beautiful writing.

Help Me, Jacques Cousteau
Help Me, Jacques Cousteau by Gil Adamson (Paperback - 17 Jan 2011)
6.90