4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Violet
*4.5 Stars*

I'm a big fan of Alyxandra Harvey's Vampire series, The Drake Chronicles. The second book in the series (Blood Feud) is my favourite though. I loved the historical flashbacks to the French Revolution injected between the main story, and in my review remarked that Alyx should think about writing historical when she was done with the Drakes . Little...
Published on 21 Jun 2011 by Vicki @ Cosy Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal Who-dunnit
Violet's mother is a fake medium in Victorian England, plying her trade amongst the landed gentry. It's going so well, that Violet finds herself anticipating a proposal from one very well off gentleman. However, Violet herself has started to see some real ghosts - and one in particular seems to be rather insistent that Violet pays attention.

At its heart, this...
Published on 15 Oct 2011 by A John

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of A Trillian Books, 7 July 2011
Tasha (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
With her mother faking it as a Medium, Violet doesn't believe in ghosts. That is until they start to appear to her. One spirit in particular is persistant in making her presence known and Violet soon realises that she has to help this girl rest by finding out who murdered her.

Haunting Violet has a Gothic Victorian setting and is very much reminiscent of some of the classics; in places it reminded me of Austen's Northanger Abbey. Harvey's writing while up-to-date in terms of language and style, still manages to fit in with the period of the book.

Violet herself is a brilliant character, with elements of both strength and vulnerability. With her unusual upbringing which revolved largely around her mother's fraudulent lifestyle, she struggles to fit in to the well-to-do society that she finds herself. Although she knows all the rules of etiquette and what is deemed 'proper', it's not easy for her. I liked that while she pushed the boundaries a little, it was still appropriate for the time period. Violet also struggled with her new found ability, largely because she didn't want her mother to know about it as she didn't want it exploiting. Fortunately she has Colin, a childhood friend and potential love interest, to help her.

The story has a bunch of twists and turns throughout and while not the most dramatic or shocking, they did keep me guessing for most of the book as to who the murderer was. All in all, Haunting Violet was an enjoyable, well written and well researched book that fully lived up to my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous Gothic tale., 4 July 2011
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
As soon as I realised this book would have a Gothic feel to it, I wanted it. I am sure deep down I have my very own Goth girl fighting to escape motherhood and wanting to be free to dress in black and resemble Morticia from the Addams Family. So, it was fantastic to be able to get my hands on this book early and absorb all that lovely gothicness!

Right from the beginning, I found that the Victorian scene was set rather well and the smoggy Victorian London came alive again. The book is very atmospheric and eerie, a feeling that whispers in an out of each page throughout the book.

Violet is such a gutsy main character who deals with her new found talent at first with ill ease, but soon manages to cope with all that is thrown at her. Despite the abuse thrown at her from her mother, she is courageous through out. I loved Elizabeth, her friend from a noble background, who reminded me a little of Velma from Scooby Doo. She is determined to help Violet solve the mystery, as well as eat her way out of a corset. At times the story was funny and had me sniggering a little as Violet did a few rather daft things, then the book would delve straight back into the paranormal element to push you deeper into the unsolved mystery.

I do love a good ghost story and this one definitely fitted the bill. I loved the way Rowena's apparition was described and the eeriness she added to the book. The murder was not easy to detect and I found the author threw in quite a few red herrings to distract the reader from the truth. I found the story to be jam packed with action that kept me thrilled until the murder was solved. There is no time to rest with Alyxandra Harvey, she keeps you on your toes all the way through the book.

Last year I read We Hear The Dead by Dianne K. Salerni, which tells the fictional story of the true life Fox sisters who actually fooled the world into thinking they were mediums. Both books showed a great amount of detail concerning spiritualism during the 1800's, however, out of the two books, I would have to say that Haunting Violet was actually much better, as it had more of a thrill and a mystery to it as well as an extremely good climatic ending.

A truly enjoyable read that leaves you satisfied by the last word. I do hope we get to meet Violet again soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Ghost Story Ever, Set Against An Incredible Victorian Background, 2 July 2011
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
Since she was nine, Violet has helped her mother achieve fame as a talented spiritualist. This talent is faked. Tools such as bellows, laudanum and salt are used to trick the rich into believing in her séances. So when Violet, her mother, Colin (an Irish orphan, taken in by her mother - not due to the kindness of her heart, but for the labour he provides) and their maid Marjorie travel to the country to entertain Lord Jasper and his guests, they all know the stakes are higher than ever. They'd put on a good show, get paid and be able to keep their respectable house for a little longer. But then Violet starts to see ghosts. After all that time with her mother, she was certain ghosts aren't real. Apparently, the ghosts don't agree. Especially one particularly persistent ghost, who has lilies in her hair and bruises round her neck and wrists. She was murdered. And it's up to Violet to find the killer...
I absolutely adored Alyxandra Harvey's Drake Chronicles, and I am anxiously awaiting the release date of the next in the series. And as I read Haunting Violet I fell just as much in love - more even. With a backdrop of Victorian England, the setting was just as enchanting and believable as that in books written by Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. All the little details built together to create a world so historical and so British that I honestly felt like I travelled back in time. The customs, the dress, the speech, the behaviour: all of it just added to the magical Victorian world. And all this was before the ghosts came into the story.
Violet I just liked instantly. We meet her when she was nine: the first time she was taken along to one of her mother's séances, and forced to help her drug two elderly women. Violet hated it then, and grew to resent it - and her mother - as she got older. From the very beginning I was sympathetic towards her: her mother was just horrible. Plus she was a bookish little girl, and a bookish young woman, and I loved her "I'd rather have books than chocolate" quote as I agreed with it wholeheartedly. I was a little worried at the beginning, scared that the brilliant kick that Harvey's other female leads wouldn't exist in this polite world. My fears were ill found, as Violet had that brilliant attitude I love about Harvey's girls. The way she handled her rather unwanted gift was realistic, and she was somehow very modern.
Collin was another winner, with his good sense of humour and subtle Irish accent. He and Violet look out for each other - after they'd outgrown the putting worms in one another's beds phase, of course. I loved Collin, and I'm telling you now that he is just as good as Nicholas and the other Drake boys, so you won't be disappointed on that front. And there was also a Lucy-like best friend. Elizabeth is nobility, but I fell in love with her from her very first sentence: "I once fitted five of those little egg things in my mouth in one go". She really made me laugh, and the scenes between her and Violet made me actually feel their friendship: it was completely believable.
Now, this book seriously has everything. It has a brilliant setting, amazing historical and paranormal influences, authentic romance, friendship and general relationships, as well as the most brilliant and new murder-mystery. I loved the ways Violet, Collin and Elizabeth tried to figure out who the killer was, from using spirit boards to subtle conversations with the living upper class. Somehow Harvey had me laughing one minute, then on the edge of my seat the next as she cranked up the suspense. All the spirit and psychic parts of the story were absolutely convincing, plus seeing how old-days mediums (without powers) pulled off their performances was intriguing.
I love a good ghost story, especially one with so much realism, plus I've seen the length of this review, so I'm going to end on this note: please let there be a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Violet, 28 Jun 2011
Miss Victoria Ramage (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
This novel has a great gothic feel to it, set in the 1800's when the spiritualist craze was at a height. I loved that I found out some of the tricks that fake mediums used, although I'm not sure if they would have tied bellows to their daughter's legs but who knows? Maybe they would have done! The setting feels very realistic and I really did feel as if I was actually there, both in the grand country house and in the filthy London streets.

Violet's character really appealed to me as she's not your usual sort of Victorian girl. Before her mother became famous through her faked seances Violet was lower class and she keeps that mentality throughout the book. Preferring to escape with a novel over sipping tea, she keeps away from the society that her mother craves, keeping only a couple of friends - Colin and Elizabeth. When she discovers her gift and meets Rowena for the first time, she chooses to hide it but still tries her best to find Rowena's murderer.

I really liked Elizabeth' character in this, she's pretty vital to the plot in the sense that she reminds Violet to have fun and be a girl, and she's not afraid to go snooping throughout the house and ask people questions. Her infatuation with Frederic was really funny at times, although it was a shame he never seemed to notice her.

Violet's mother, however, was defnitely a 'love-to-hate' character. She thinks higher of herself than she is, treats Violet like dirt and is constantly drinking. Later on she reveals her true nature and I hated her even more for it. Despite this, she was a vital addition to the story.

Violet and Colin's relationship really added to the story and it was nice to read about her falling for a character that appears from the beginning of the book and relates to her, instead of falling for the first rich guy that notices her, like Xavier Trethewey, who I didn't like at all. Colin really cares for Violet and I really felt for him when he was obviously jealous of Xavier, although he had no need to be.

The mystery surrounding Rowena's death is the main focus of the story and I think it was written very well, with lots of twists and turns, secret letters and stolen kisses...
Guessing the murderer was quite difficult for me (I used to guess easily but lately I'm rubbish), I think I suspected everyone but the actual killer, who I only vaguely remembered when they were revealed. At times it reminded me of a Miss Marple TV show, with many characters and many different motives. I do love those shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alyxandra love reading books of this writer, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
Harvey, Alyxandra love reading books of this writer. Love when a writer said condition sent is they promised

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Violet, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
Violet has never believed in ghosts and people who can see them because of helping and living with her charlatan spiritualist mother. However, when Violet, her mother and Colin, an Irish orphan who helps out her mother and Violet has been getting strange feeling for him, visit Lord Jasper's country estate, Violet keeps seeing a drowned girl everywhere she goes. Now with the help of Colin and her friend Elizabeth have to find out who this girl is and who killed her before they strike again.

Haunting Violet is another brilliant book by Harvey with everything I have grown to love about her work but instead of vampires it has Victorian's and ghosts. I really like the mystery in this book as it kept me guessing about who the killer was and what was going to happen next.

I really like Violet because she is nice, down to earth and very loyal even when she does not really want to be. I also like the secondary characters as I felt they all had their own individual stories especially Elizabeth and Lord Jasper. I like the romance between Violet and Colin as it is sweet, romantic and had real depth to it.

I love Haunting Violet and I hope that there is another book; I would recommend this to people who liked Alyxandra Harvey's other books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average children's book, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
A light, predictable, 'paranormal' whodunnit with a little teen romance thrown in, set in Victorian London and Wiltshire. Annoying inconsistencies and Americanisms such as 'creek' and 'crickets' (in Victorian Wiltshire?) were offputting, and the ending very obvious, as there were virtually no other possible murderers with a motive.
An easy read for children though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 9 Oct 2011
G. Cook "jillcook27a" (Essex england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a little older than the target age range for this little book but i still enjoyed it very much. A really good story line with strong characters. It was a really good read

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking new series, 27 Jun 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
Whilst most know Alyxandra for her Drake Chronicles, this current standalone title is one that I was wondering what I was letting myself in for. After all to suddenly divert from a bestselling series to create something new when you're still technically a new author, is a brave move. What you get in this title from Alyxandra, is a heroine who stands on her own from the myriad of cast members, who has to gain emotional as well as physical independence and when blended with the time period to which its set makes this an absolutely wonderful read.

Add to this some magical twists, a surprise or two that you don't see coming alongside quite a full plot outline and it's a title that whilst fast paced doesn't leave the reader feeling that they've been cheated as each of the various threads are tied up wonderfully at the titles end. All in this was a cracking read and I eagerly look forward to more tales in Violets world from Alyxandra.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bored me to death, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
If there was a way to give this book no stars I would have done that ... I'm going to keep this short the book is an utter disaster; I couldn't read a whole page without daydreaming half way though.
But in all honesty I did not read the whole book I started skipping pages and the ending was exactly what I predicted so I couldn't really bother.

Haunting Violet
Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey (Paperback - 4 July 2011)
6.99