4.0 out of 5 stars dark and creepy
Mister Creecher is an interesting read which is very different from Chris Priestly's first novel but also capturing the same Gothic Victorian feel as it meaning I really enjoyed it.

Published on 2 Oct 2011 by Kirsty at the Overflowing Library

3.0 out of 5 stars Mr Creecher
This book has a very spooky, gothic style based on Frankenstein's monster this scary based book is a good book but gets a bit boring sometimes but most of the time its an intense and engrossing book
Rating 3/5
Published 5 months ago by Miss Angela E. Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars dark and creepy, 2 Oct 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Hardcover)

For me this book at its very core is about humanity and friendship and spends a great deal of time questioning issues around these themes. Creecher is a monster who is shunned by society forced to live on the outskirts, never quite fitting in anywhere. His mission in life is to hunt down his creator who has promised to build him a mate. To do this he recruits Billy, a partnership which is initially built on fear and convenience, to help him track the mysterious Mister Frankenstein in return for food and protection. As the story goes on this relationship changes to one of friendship as the two set off on their journey to help Creecher. Throughout the journey there are several questions raised about what it means to be human as Creecher ponders what he is and what sort of life he should be entitled to. I also loved seeing how the friendship between him and Billy developed and changed as the book progressed.

One thing I loved about this book was the the setting. You get a wonderful sense of period from this book and a real feel of Victorian England. I loved how this creepily Gothic feel added to the story as a whole.

For me another thing that made this book special was how the story tied into other works of fiction from the time. Whilst one of them will be obvious both from this review and from the blurb the other isn't initially and I though how they were used was really clever.

All in all this book is a brilliant read meeting the expectational high standard I have come to expect from a Chris Priestly novel with a fantastic setting and interesting ideas posed throughout.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mister Creecher, 6 May 2014
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Paperback)
I’ve read a few of the author’s books previously and really enjoy their spooky gothic take on things.

In 1818, young Billy at age 15 is a thief and a risk-taker. But he’s ill, and pickings are hard for him in fog-ridden London. When he stumbles across a body outside a bookshop Billy doesn’t know that his life is about to head in an entirely new direction. For he’s about to meet Mister Creecher.

This is an excellent novel, weaving fiction and more fiction into an historical background to great effect. Billy’s journey with Mister Creecher is one not only of redemption for Creecher but also potentially of salvation for Billy, but will it all go wrong before he can find the best of himself and save Creecher as well? As so often in ‘real life’ there are not necessarily happy endings here for everybody, and the story has a great pathos as well; the reader is left wanting to know what happens next. For fear of spoilers, it’s difficult to say much more at this point, but I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone who loves a bit of gothic fiction, or who wants to encourage a younger reader on to some of the classics, or if you’re just a fan of Chris Priestley’s works as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Kindle Edition)
Read this book! I started reading it for a book club, and got really into it. I swear that I haven't stayed up so late since I watched The Matrix! Read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice way to kick of a Horror exploration for teens, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Hardcover)
There seems to be a bit of trend for `new horror' where the older classics are being revisited for a new generation and re imagined in a way that appeals to a new audience. With Mister Creecher we see the world of Frankenstein being dipped into with new eyes; the view point of a London pick pocket who discovers what he thinks is a dead man but turns out to be a sleeping monster in the form of Frankenstein's creature (or whom he calls Mister Creecher upon mishearing his name).

I'm a big fan of the horror genre as a whole and I'm really excited to see more and more books like this that introduce a new generation to the world of classic and Gothic novels and hopefully encourages them to look into more books and the originators of these new books. Mister Creecher is a nice starting point for those that haven't read Frankenstein or those that have read it but have an interest in explore other concepts and ideas based on the story of the scientist gone too far and the being he creates. If I'm honest, I didn't instantly fall in love with this book but I think that's down to my love of the original Mary Shelley story and so after I got over the fact that Chris Priestley's book wasn't his take on Frankenstein and more a companion tale that gives a nod to the first book and their characters within it.

I loved the telling of the world and life of Creecher from the point of view as a child and a brother in arms as such as they are both outcasts and don't fit in and so are bonded together. Billy's point of view has an innocence about it and gives us a view on Creecher as a being with a need for friendship and love rather than a monster that the rest of the world see's him as. I adored their bond together and how hard hearted they both were to let one another into their lives and past but when they do they find friends with each other and salvation.

What is clear is that Chris Priestley knows his Horror and knows his audience and gives them what they want and what they need to really enjoy the story of Creecher as he follows Frankenstein from afar with the help of Billy and both learn about trust and the strengths and weaknesses in humanity and themselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mr Creecher, 23 Jun 2014
Rating 3/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read (and a great end!), 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Paperback)
Having studied Frankenstein as part of my English degree I was fascinated when my year 7's picked this book to read for our book club (I'm a school librarian). I opened it with trepidation as I like my horror full on and was worried that a book written for children would shy away from the truly terrifying. I need not have worried. I enjoyed it from beginning to end, yes unlike others I loved the end. So much so that I when I finished it on the train home my exclamation of 'Oh my goodness!' started a great conversation with other commuters one of whom took my copy away to read for himself.
The relationship between Billy and Creecher was the crux of a great book for me. One of hostage and captor at first it developed into quite a sweet friendship as the book progressed but there was always an undercurrent of mistrust and repulsion. I loved the scene where Billy is totally relaxed around Creecher until they go swimming and he sees his bare body for the first time. Yes some of the description was a bit over the top at times but it never distracted from a great story and I imagine plenty of people have rushed off to read Frankenstein after this to find out the end of Creecher's story. Overall a great read (and the year 7's loved it too) Now to get my copy back ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Kindle Edition)
This book is a really good tale of friendship and feeling left out. It was a really good book to read and I will be reading more books by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing., 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Kindle Edition)
After reading several reviews on the book I decided to purchase a copy. I enjoyed reading the book but found I could quickly identify some of the characters as those from another "classic" english novel.

Though the story flowed well and was easy to read I found the conclusion very dissapointing. Perhaps the criticism is a little harsh as the book is written for children and I am in my sixties. Though the ending was unresolved the author did encourage the reader to follow the characters and their fortunes in two classic english novels.

If younger readers enjoyed the book they might be willing to try the other novels suggested.

Still worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Creecher, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Paperback)
A great read, atmospheric and moving as well as thrilling. Full of surprises and genuine emotion, a real page turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Twist of a Twist, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mister Creecher (Paperback)
My 9 year old son has rated this five stars, has read all of his other books and devoured this one in two days. He loved the descriptions of London, but thought the plot was brilliant and this is what he says:
Be warned ------PLOT SPOILER---------------------
A bizarre twist of fate combining a young Bill Sikes and Frankenstein's monster. The defining moment in the hotel lodge is:
"My name is Billy-no Bill. Sikes. Bill Sikes." (a quote from Creecher).
"Frankenstein is like a father to me."
He now wants to read Charles Dickens.

Mister Creecher
Mister Creecher by Chris Priestley (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)