4.0 out of 5 stars Everybody, Everyday is an inspiration.
Published 20 months ago by LP

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring
I'm a full time working mother to a toddler. The premise of this book is extremely attractive to me. I want to cook delicious home cooked meals everyday, but would love to learn some great shortcuts so I have more time for myself and my family. I have high hopes for this book. Mackay said on his website that the book "help(s) you cook your meals and vary them easily. The...
Published 22 months ago by ReadALittle

4.0 out of 5 stars Everybody, Everyday is an inspiration., 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
I am so glad I bought this book, and I use it often. The recipes are relatively easy and fun - and the very best thing of all is that my husband - a reluctant cook - is inspired to try some of the recipes. The layout and instructions give him confidence to try new things and use different ingredients. We both eat a lot of fish and I particularly like the ideas for cooking salmon. The photography is beautiful and it makes my mouth water everytime I look through the book. Many of the recipes are not too difficult, but there are also more challenging dishes, like the salute to tartiflette. I will try this one day - on a special occasion when dishes have no calories! Lynn Preston.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 27 April 2013
K. CHAMBERLAIN "KCsKitchen" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
I don't collect every cookery book out there, especially not just because of the name on the cover - but this is one of the few books that's actually caught my interest enough to try some foods I've never cooked with before.

Alex is a very practical chef and doesn't expect the average home cook to have hours and hours to spend fiddling with endless detailed processes just for one dinner.

The book is divided into logical and interesting sections of ingredient-specific recipes but there's also so much more.

* Sensible suggestions about how to make your own kitchen a more practical and enjoyable environment

* Clarification of common cooking terms

* Excellent photos of each recipe

* Practical explanations regarding cooking equipment types and reasons for making a good choice

* Excellent photo sequences showing how to carve a chicken etc

* Informative ABC of Vegetables, seasonality and their prep' methods

Somehow Alex has managed to make words on a page actually seem encouraging - the down to earth delivery and presentation makes it comfortable and interesting for the experienced and novice cook alike.

It's rare for me to recommend a book to anyone but this is a definite exception. I've even sent a copy over to my sister-in-law in Canada!

Now I actually look forward to trying new things!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful book, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
This is a really good cookery book, not only is it full of good easy recipes, it also gives lots of time saving tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
This book has a fantastic idea behind it: the teaching of a few simple, core skills (i.e. how to cook a salmon fillet perfectly) and then expands on each of these with a huge number of possible recipes. Even each of these has variations for changing things up depending on what you have in the cupboard. It's a very practical book that understands how real people really are in the kitchen (me and my mother, at least!), offering good tips for managing to cook something everyday without being at all patronising or didactic about healthy eating, fancy ingredients, etc. I think it's a really nice book, the writing is lively and engaging, the recipes are just the sort of achievable, contemporary cooking that I like, and I think it is probably perfect for busy mums (there's advice about which recipes are good to puree for your baby, freeze for later, etc). So, yes - highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookery book I've bought in years, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
This book was recommended by a friend and it's truly a gem. I cook for my young family most evenings (except Friday take-away night!) and this has really refreshed our menu. He takes things I'd have in the fridge anyway like chicken breasts or aubergines and gives loads of ideas (all beautifully photographed) on what to do with them. I've followed some of his methods to the letter - e.g. sweating off red peppers or roasting veg (with lamb) and the flavours are Amazing compared with what I normally manage! I have bought loads of copies of the book for presents for friends & family.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful cookbook., 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
Alex Mackay has written his book in sections...for example on ways to cook salmon fillets, with a basic racipe and then with 6 different variations. I tried the salmon with sunblush tomato ketchup and another time I did salmon with white butter sauce, leeks and asparagus, both were delicious and the beurre blanc sauce the best recipe I have tried. Other sections include a variety of ways to cook aubergines, pork chops, risottos and burgers, for example. There are also chapters on various things suitable for slow cooking and some excellent new ways of cooking side dishes.

I liked his detailed descriptions of pre-preparing ingredients and also how to adapt recipes to make them suitable for babies and toddlers and also for freezing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic mine of information and inspiration, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
Everybody, Everyday has been so well used and perused since its arrival, not only by us but by our 6 year old grand daughter who loves the recipes and excellent photography and chooses what we will be cooking when she is with us! There are already several firm favourites. We appreciate the variations in the recipe when cooking for children, the How To Use This Book section at the beginning and the Side Dishes last section. They have certainly broadened our culinary horizons.

It is so good to have such a comprehensive everyday book which uses everyday ingredients in imaginative ways that do not break the budget. The recipes have such informative introductions that they inspire the home cook to give them a try. This book is ideal for people of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook that's really something new, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
It's not everyday that a cookbook comes along that makes me feel enthusiastic about ordinary cooking - but this one's got me thinking differently about the kind of ingredients that usually make me yawn. Entertaining is one thing, but the daily grind...so dull. Well, not any more, at least not in this house! Alex Mackay's book has really set my taste buds tingling.

The 'Magic Fridge' section is the best idea I've come across in years. I've now got jars of home made pesto and Green curry paste in the fridge - and BTW, the sticky onion recipe is yummy.

Best of all, even though the recipes are put together with economy in mind - they're good enough to serve up at dinner parties too. I made huge sweet potato, bacon and tapenade tart last week and served it up with salad as a starter; Duck breast, fennel and olive as a main. (There are lots of Veggie options too!) Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
Bought this book for a "gift" but will probably have to send for another! It is a truly lovely book, looking at the blurb I thought it would be a basic cookbook, for someone who has just started to get into cookery...not a bit of it. The book is full of ideas and recipes that I would love to cook. Very nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex does it again!, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Everybody, Everyday (Hardcover)
Another super book by Alex Mackay! I loved his book on French cooking which was a delight to read & to use. The beautiful pictures by Peter Knab helped make that book, so with the same team I confidently bought this one. I wasn't disappointed at all. Lots of great recipes which are clearly explained and offer new twists on 'old' standbys. Everything tastes so fresh & healthy - I'm sure it's doing me good! It's well laid out and very easy to follow and I am enjoying working my way through all the delicious meals.It covers so much more too with explanations about seasoning, advice on terms & techniques and side dishes. It has also solved my birthday presents for friends who love Alex's books. Why is this man not on tv more often? This book would make a super series & maybe he could follow it up with another on desserts?

Everybody, Everyday
Everybody, Everyday by Alex Mackay (Hardcover - 10 May 2012)
16.00