1,298 Reviews
 (1,006)

5.0 out of 5 stars What! You never told me it was THAT good!!!
This is a review I should have written a long time ago, however being convinced that I `just wasn't that into Harry Potter' left me completely oblivious to the full extent of this story, until now. I finished this book one hour ago and I will now consider myself, a full-fledged crazy fan, only ten years later than everybody else. Enjoy.

Title: Harry Potter and...
Published on 8 Jun. 2011 by EmmaxZero

3.0 out of 5 stars back to quality
Luckily enough the last (probably) installment of the Potter serial did not disappoint me like volume three, five and six.

Even though the familiar Hogwarts setting is held back till the last chapters and the usual flaws of Ms Rowling's writing are all still there for the roll call, this last episode manages quite a fair amount of tension, nice characterization...
Published on 5 Dec. 2008 by Furio

5.0 out of 5 stars The 7th, Final and BEST Harry Potter Book, 27 July 2007
David P. "A Reviewer" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I pre-ordered this book from Amazon, and did not expect it to arrive it on the day of release (Saturday 21st July). I was expecting to recieve it on the monday or tuesday, but I was surprised when I came home from work at one in the afternoon that saturday when it was released, to find that my copy had arrived.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan or anything, though I do love the books. The Harry Potter series is the best books I've ever read; not just the stoies in general, but the way they're written. They don't drag as you read, yet they're not rushed either. A really fun read they are. They're the sort of books I can spend hours and hours reading.

From the moment my copy arrived, I was sitting down reading the book and it was just over midnight when I put the book down for the day (I was just slightly more than half way through). I would've actually spent the whole evening reading if I had to, and I'm sure I probably wouldn't have put it down until I finished, and I ain't bullsh***ing about that either. The only thing that made me put it down that evening was the fact I had work the following morning.

During work that Sunday, I wanted nothing more than to finish my shift and get back home to the book. As soon as I finally did I was back to reading the book and I finished it (about seven in the afternoon) that same day.

The book I found simply amazing, from start to finish. There are twists throughout the story and certain gaps are filled, such as the identity of R.A.B, who stole Voldemort's horcrux and replaced it with a fake, which at the end of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince", Harry and Dumbledore took.

The book in general isn't just the best, but the most different out of the lot, the reason being that the first six are set in Hogwarts, where this one isn't (not until the very end anyway). This book I had been looking foward to reading ever since I read book 6 (HPAT Half-Blood Prince). Off course I knew that the release of this book was an extra two years ahead.

Book 6 ended with Dumbledore's murder (Snape was the culprit) and Harry's decision to never return to Hogwarts for his seventh year, but instead to continue on Dumbledore's mission (which he is certain Dumbledore left him) of finding Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes.

As far as Harry and Dumbledore were aware of there were only six horcruxes in total; Tom Riddle's diary and Marvolo's ring had been destroyed. That leaves Helga Hufflepuff's cup, Salazar Slytherin's locket, Nagini (Voldemort's pet snake), and something that belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw.

This book like the previous 5 starts of in the summer holidays (book 1 as you remember actually begins in November, that's why I've said previous 5 books, not 6). The Dursley's get moved elsewhere, due to Voldemort and the Death Eaters and Harry is waiting for some wizards to escort him to the Burrow.

The day after Harry's 17th birthday, during Fleur and Bill's wedding, Voldemort siezes the Ministry of Magic, Death Eaters attack and Harry, Ron and Hermoine are forced to escape, where they begin their qeust to find and destroy Voldemort's horcruxes.

To make things tougher, wizards are after Harry, so he must keep a low profile and avoid been seen. Nevertheless, Hermoine and Ron stand by him and help him out in this mission to destroy those horcruxes. This book is without doubt the best of the lot, though there are sad moments and many deaths throughout the book.

I won't tell you wether or not Harry does die or succeeds in killing Voldemort, but I will tell you this; the ending is brilliant, and the final battle against the Death Eaters is similar to the one at the end of book 6. It will be a few short years when this book is made into a film, which I look foward to seeing, although I know it won't be anywhere as good as the book.

If you've never read any of the books before and wish to read this, then I suggest that you read the first 6 first. These are the following titles...
Harry Potter and the...
...Philosopher's Stone (6th best)
...Chamber of Secrets (5th best)
...Prisoner of Azkaban (7th best)
...Goblet of Fire (4th best)
...Order of the Phoenix (2nd best)
...Half-Blood Prince (3rd best)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is an excellent book and like I've mentioned in the title for this review, the best one out of the lot. I plan to (not yet but soonish) to re-read all seven books again. Excellent books you'd be crazy to not even consider reading them. I urge you to get this book now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping finale to the series, 22 July 2007
M. D. P. Meechan (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As the final book in this immensely lucrative series, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' was always guaranteed to be a monster hit, earning more money for its author than Gringotts holds in its impenetrable vaults. How the novel will be judged, however, is not by how long it stays at the top of the bestsellers list, or by how much money it makes; but by how well it resolves a decade's worth of intricate storytelling, and lives up to enormous anticipation. There are those fans who may judge the book harshly because their own theories for the series' resolution(s) were quashed; or because favourite characters were reduced to minor roles. I think it is safe to assume, though, that the majority of us will be more than satisfied with the final installment, and will ultimately judge it to be a success.

At the heart of the book, as always, is the relationship between Harry, Ron and Hermione, whose friendship, despite the odd setback or argument, is endless and unequivocal. The willingness of Ron and Hermione to aid Harry in his quest embodies another of the series' enduring themes, love, and gives the reader a solid understanding of why Harry could never become a wizard like Voldemort. The added emphasis on the dreaded Voldemort, who makes several appearances, also adds to the danger of this particular story. Never before has the wizarding world been portrayed as it is in 'Deathly Hallows', where it has become something akin to a Fascist regime, with the purging of 'mudbloods', education replaced by propaganda, and the supremacy of a tyrant over a fearful nation. This is a fascinating and mature take on the progression of events, and it only serves to involve the reader further in the story, to the extent that you are willing the resistance to fight back!

There are some truly stunning moments in this installment, particularly the action sequences, which will look amazing when filmed for the big screen. You may feel the desire to cheer, curse, laugh aloud or cry during the thrilling battles, and probably a mixture of every emotion in the novel's 'final battle' sequences, when (at least) dozens of old favourites return to fight alongside the forces of good and evil. The novel is also filled with impressive moments that don't require elaborate wizard duels, but rather concentrate on character development, surprise revelations and farewells to old friends.

The novel is by no means perfect. The sequences in which the trio camp in forests are repetitive, and the lack of one fixed setting is jarring to begin with, given that we are used to Hogwarts as the main hub for the action. Due to the nature of the trio's quest, we are only treated to fleeting appearances by the series' myriad of characters, meaning that some chapters can be slightly dull. These minor criticisms are over-ruled, however, by Rowling's engaging writing style, particularly impressive if we consider that, after six previous books, our central character still has much to learn about the magical world he inhabits. The deaths of beloved characters, major and minor, are handled with supreme care, and few readers could truthfully claim to finish this novel without shedding tears over fallen favourites. One particular moment, involving Harry and Dobby the house elf, is heartbreaking to read. Lastly, and most admirably, Rowling deftly provides answers to the many questions fans will have gathered during the series, and the majority of these answers are perfect and rarely predictable.

Overall, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' succeeds in achieving many things, but perhaps most of all, it lives up to the the anticipation of millions of readers, and for that, JK Rowling should always feel proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm exhausted...talk about emotional!, 21 July 2007
Kimberley O'Donnell "DVD FIEND" (PRESTON , LANCASHIRE (UK)) - See all my reviews
Harry potter and the Deathly Hallows...What a cracking good read!
I cannot believe that I have finished the last Harry Potter book.
This instalment is a million miles away from the wide eyed innocence of the "Philosopher's Stone",where our adventure began (which seems like years ago now!)

I do however have a couple of criticisms of the 7th and final book in the Harry Potter series: First of all the book concentrated far too heavily on Harry, Ron and Hermione. The three of them practically occupied the whole book. Whereas Voldemort, Bella, Snape, Lucius Malfoy and Draco Malfoy (not to mention the various other 'Bad guys') barely got a look-in. Alright, Snape had an entire chapter dedicated to him (woefully inadequate considering his importance to the story outlined in the previous 6 books.) But Snape, Lucius and Draco were, from book 1, crafted as vital and enigmatic characters, most readers weren't always sure what to make of them (particularly Snape and Draco.) They have, since book 1, proved to be hugely popular characters...not just with me but with many (especially the grown-up fans!) These three characters were, sadly, underused. The first chapter promised much from them - Draco's uncertainty and terror, Lucius' fear of Voldemort and Snape's lack of fear and total self-assuredness. However, this storyline wasn't really explored any further, there were brief allusions to the three mens change of character and status in relation to Voldemort but nothing more than that...much to my disappointment.
In truth, I would have been fascinated to learn more about these characters, especially the Malfoy's - how they had changed from being so arrogant and self-assured to being so vulnerable. Chapter one lured me in, it promised me what I desired...then, from chapter 2, it became the Harry, Ron and Hermione show.
I was particularly surprised that Snape and Draco featured so briefly (particularly Draco, his rivalry with Harry had been welling since "The Philosopher's Stone" only to come to...well, not very much actually!

My second criticism relates to the final two pages of this book: I was very disappointed with the ending, it was far too neat, too convenient, too perfect...it lacked all credibility and it felt rushed. I'm sure that once you read it you will see what I mean. Buckets at the ready folks!
I know that JK Rowling wanted to bring the series to a close with the 7th book but, in my opinion, it would have been much better to have left the story open-ended - to allow we fans, who have grown to love many of the characters within the world of Harry Potter, to make up our own future for the survivors (I'm sure that I'm not the only one to have already resurrected some of my fallen favourites in my head. God bless dreamland!)

I'm sure that if you are a fan and have read the previous 6 instalments I don't need to tell you to go and buy this book - you're probably finishing it for the second time as I write!
But if you're new to the world of Harry Potter then this book is definitely not for you...not until you've read, from cover-to-cover: "The Philosopher's Stone", "The Chamber of Secrets","The Prisoner of Azkaban", "The Goblet of Fire", "The Order of The Phoenix" and "The Halfblood Prince." And don't just watch the movies because that's cheating!

This may be the final book but the world of Harry Potter goes on - in my dreams - Harry, Draco et all are eleven years old again with new adventures ahead of them at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Thanks for so many wonderful characters JK. (especially Severus Snape...I'm sure that we were supposed to hate him but I've loved him since book 1...well, every good girl loves a 'bad' boy, but just how bad is he?!) Read the book - you'll find out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling - A review by Frederik Praestgaard, 22 July 2011
After 17 years of writing has J. K. Rowling finally finished her series about the orphan boy Harry Potter, who finds out that he is a wizard. The final book 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' is the book where Harry meets his destiny in his task of finding the Horcruxes and destroying them. The task was originally given by Albus Dumbledore, who told Harry that if the Horcruxes are destroyed, Voldemort will be mortal. However, it is also the book where all the answers and loos ends will be tide up.

In my humble opinion, these books are the best of all, because of the tales in them and the moral about good and evil. In the story we have two different characters, or in use of a better word, souls - Harry and Voldemort, and when they meet they are trying to destroy each other, and that's what the book is about; the fight between good and evil. However, it is important to remember that, as Dumbledore said, you cannot defeat evil infinitely, but you can hold it back.

Beside of being a stupendous and exciting book, where there is love, hatred and war, it is also the best written book of the Harry Potter books, and when I read it I couldn't put it away for second, because I always needed to know what happened in the next chapter.

This book is defiantly also for adults, however, children can read them too, since it is a children's book. I recommend this book to every Harry Potter-fan there is: So don't miss the opportunity to read the final book of Harry Potter!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the end, my friend..., 23 Aug. 2007
Linda Oskam "dutch-traveller" (Amsterdam Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Looked forward to and dreaded at the same time: after 8 years I have to say goodbye to Harry Potter. Dead or alive, I won't tell the reader of this review, as too much is already revealed by others...

In this last book of the series Harry, Ron and Hermione leave Hogwarts prematurely to fight Voldemort. The wizard's world is torn in two: the Dark Forces are ttaking over power and Harry and his friends have to use all their skills and knowledge to fight these dark forces. With some luck, a lot of ingenuity and the help from a lot of friends and relatives Harry makes it alive to the final battle, but then... The rest is something you'll have to read for yourself, but keep your hankies ready: quite a few dear friends do not survive this last episode.

In this last book all lines come together and what seemed to be details in earlier books are now all important artifacts in the fight against Voldemort. It is really clear that JK Rowling had the whole plot already worked out before she started to write episode 1 of the series. I really enjoyed reading the bookand I'm sure I will reread the whole series sometime in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snape 009 3/4, the wizard world's answer to 007, 26 Nov. 2011
Mary L. Wehrheim (Wichita KS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Celebratory Edtn) (Paperback)
I found the adult characters in this series to be more interesting than the children. As a retired teacher, Snape has always been my guilty pleasure. It would be fun to be able to call students dunderheads. As a student in catholic school in the 1950s we were often hit up the side of the head snape style by the nuns. Snape was more gentlemanly and just smacked the males. For me the best part of the book was finding out that Snape was a counter-spy. However, poor old Snape did not have as much fun as his muggle counterpart. James Bond's world was one of swanky casinos, fancy cars and gagets, and the seduction of beautiful women. Whereas Snape just hung around his flea-bitten house and creepy Malfoy Manor. All he had as a weapons arsenal was a wand and a patronus. He lived a life that was as austere and celebate as a monk and probably died a virgin. Ahthough he once at the beginning of class romantically announced he could teach students to bottle fame, brew glory and put a stpper on death, he certainly did not seem to apply these skills to his personal life.
In the first few books the wizard world was cute and quaintly weird. By the end of the series the fangs literally came out. Rowlings neatly ties up all the loose ends like the conclusion of an Agatha Christie novel. However the body count racks up higher than any Shakespearean play which ties in with her running theme of death and how to cope with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter, 23 July 2007
This is by far the deepest and most emotional book by far. Harry is off searching for the horcruxes, the ministry of magic has been taken over by voldemort and he has to endure people spreading lies about the man he probably most looked up to dumbledore. so along with the burden that he is the only one who can finish lord voldemort off he has people vanishing and dying all through this book until they get to the final battle at the end. I don't want to say much more but it is definately one of the most enjoyable books of the seven as now everything in the last six fits like a jigsaw puzzle.
thanks jk

5.0 out of 5 stars Why doesn't everyone just give it a FIVE STAR!, 12 Aug. 2012
Harry Potter. What a series! From book one to seven they have been amazing. This book had to be one of the best finales to a series ever! J.K.Rowling is one of my favorite authors after reading this series. Not like other books where they make a small creation around the book she created an entirely new world! Every detail of the wizarding world is made with thought. As the books progress you become so familiar the world that it's almost as if you live in it!
I love the magical plot of the mysterious Horecruxes. J.K. Rowling must've spent a long time making up these magical objects... Also, I liked the idea of the Deathly Hallows and the Elder wand's story how you win the wand by beating the owner in a duel as it's the most powerful wand on earth. This leads to a very unexpected twist at the end...
There is a final battle at Hogwarts that couldn't have been any better! And a final duel between Voldemort and Harry at the end!
It is sad to see some characters dead as all of them have grown up with us as if they are our family. You must read this before you see the films (Part 1 and 2). I want to thank J.K.Rowling for giving us one of the greatest franchises of books ever. These books will stay with you long after you've finished them...
Harry Potter... The Boy who Lived...

5.0 out of 5 stars really really brilliant, 3 Aug. 2011
my only criticism of this book would be that there are parts which are slightly slow and seem a tiny bit drawn out, but other than that this is one of the most brilliant books i have ever read. fantastic ending to such a brilliant series, and this really brings together all the mysteries which occur throughout the other books and harrys life. although slightly complex at times all is explained thouroughly and the book left me feeling fully satisfied yet at the same time extremely sad that this journey was over.
I loved the action near the end, and the battle is truely epic. This book is extremly moving in some parts and i found myself crying at the raw emotions and losses of some brilliant characters.

the story of this book is much more adult than many of the others, as death and sacrafice seem to play a central role. JK rowling does not shy away from the subject of death, and some characters who i had grown to love lost their lives, making this book hard hitting and in some parts very sad.

overall this book is full of unexpected twists and turns, exiting action and self sacrafice. The flash forward at the end really completes the book and brings together a perfect set of books.
couldnt ask for a better ending to what is, in my opinion, the best series of books ever written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes! Finally a book that isn't a total let down!, 15 Dec. 2009
TheLittleRedPostBox (England, Under A Blue Moon) - See all my reviews
As I am sure many fellow book readers know, the last in the series is often a complete and utter let down (Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn ring any bells?), where the author suffers from severe writer's block and the story is dragged out on an increasingly cracking plotline.

Not the case with JK Rowling, thank God. There are, for once, some characters I could actually believe in, and really want them to succeed. This story actually had the courage to sacrafice characters to bring others to glory, a story that could make your laugh and cry equally. I was glued to the book all holiday, and even though it's a long book, it never feels like when-the-hell-is-this-book-going-to-end? There weren't any plot holes where nothing was explained, the climax at the end was frightening without being a total train-wreck of disbelief, and there is one huge twist at the end you never see coming but is incredibly well though-out and planned.

But it's not a doom 'n' gloom, dark, shadowy book where nothing ever good happens, it's always raining and The Whole World Is Against Us. The author manages to entwine humour with fear (in a good way) and come out together in a happy ending that isn't a pass-me-the-sick-bucket.

Definitely, definitely, well worth the money. A classic for times to come.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter Celebratory Edtn)
Used & New from: £0.01