5.0 out of 5 stars I couldnt put it down
This is more than just a memoir and has a lot to say about childhood, Britain in the 1970s, class, race, identity, culture and motherhood. In addition, the book examines the issue of black children fostered by white families and the emotional and identity based conflicts this causes.

Published on 14 Jun 2012 by LJLong

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Not exactly as detailed as I expected but it's not bad! I finished it within a day, I would advise to read it!
Published 13 months ago by XyLoveHOUSE

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 3 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldnt put it down, 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: Precious (Paperback)

Precious Williams achieves a sensitive exploration of all of these issues and produces a provocative, warm, disturbing and at times hilarious memoir; I was pleasantly surprised and I read it in one sitting. When I put it down I was both enlightened and moved: I had laughed, cried, bristled and learnt. Its the holiday season, put it on your essential reading list,get it in your suitcase or on your kindle or both and you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Precious: A true story, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Precious (Paperback)
I first came across the book "Precious" at a book reading event where the author read an excerpt from the book. After which I thought I must get a copy. My short attention span means I can only read books that are gripping and capturing effortlessly. Or I am bored.

I found this book entertaining. And enjoyed the journey of being taken through a rollercoaster of sadness and crumbs of happiness. But most importantly, the enjoyment of the humour in which the story was narrated.

Precious is certainly thought provoking and touches on the various pros and cons of fostering and adoption in terms of race and environment; and various abuses that go unnoticed/ignored in foster care. Importantly, it touches on the danger of adults playing off against one another, which is detrimental to the child.

This book arouses interest and curiousity. So get the book, sit down and enjoy the train ride...

5.0 out of 5 stars Precious is Precious, 11 Nov 2011
This review is from: Precious (Paperback)
Her personal story transcends beyond touching those who can relate and those who empathise, as within lies qualitative data. Williams' experience highlights so many themes and paves the way for further discussions to be had on numerous levels; `race', identity, the signs and symptoms of behaviour, the affects of being placed into care, the impact this has on adult years and the more recent discussions of whether adoption should be colour blind, which in the UK is an ongoing debate.

Nanny clearly loved Precious, though love without the embracing of cultural differences had a major impact on self, self-worth and identity. Her story holds immense worth and can be used to inspire others who have had similar experiences and used to help find and incorporate new solutions for the promotion of a healthy considered adoptive system.

Captivating and heart-wrenching. Beautifully written and immensely powerful. This is a fabulous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous and a good read, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: Precious (Paperback)
Once I started reading the book, I could not lay it down. An interesting insight into Precious' life and I feel like I grew up with her. Looking forward to the next book.
Delivery was fast and efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 1 Nov 2010
This review is from: Precious: A True Story (Hardcover)
What an excellent read! This was an easy to read page turner and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. A true life story about the issues of inter-cultural fostering and Precious' search for cultural identity. An honest and down to earth memoir.

I definitely recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent! Colour Purple, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Bluest Eye and now this!, 11 Aug 2010
This review is from: Precious: A True Story (Hardcover)
This book felt like a cross between 'I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings' and 'The Bluest Eye'. It's the same kind of precocious talent that changes the way we look at our world. Reading the book, I experienced a rollercoaster of emotions. I laughed and I sobbed. I was so sorry this young girl had to suffer so terribly at the hands of those people who clearly meant well but did not do well by her. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that I don't know what happened to her afterwards. Where is she now? How is she? Was she affected by what happened? How? I loved this book but I need her to write the next phase. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very precious, 2 Aug 2010
This review is from: Precious: A True Story (Hardcover)
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. Hilarious anecdotes sit next to heartbreaking moments when you will be moved to tears. Precious has written an inspirational book about the will to survive and find her own identity. Impressive in the face of adversity.

4.0 out of 5 stars A harrowing, gripping memoir, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Precious: A True Story (Hardcover)
This is a gripping memoir about growing up black in West Sussex. Reading it made me want to weep and then laugh. I was never bored, never indifferent to the story I was reading. It absorbed me completely. Above all, it's a well written account of the triumph of character over circumstance. Very poignant indeed.

2.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your time, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Precious (Kindle Edition)
Too disjointed. Didn't make sense and jumped from one thing to another. Also the ending was very rushed and a bit crap to be honest. Total letdown.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Precious
Precious by Precious Williams (Paperback - 1 Aug 2011)