Published on 18 July 2011 by Belle

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed in this book...
I found this book very put-downable because it seemed very repetitive and long-winded. I was expecting so much more but it seemed just a fairly boring account of village life in Italy. The premise of the book is that the villagers live long lives and suffer from very few illnesses common to the rest of us, such as cancers and cardio-vascular disease. Scientists have put...
Published on 16 Sep 2011 by franny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A literary treat - with insights into joyful living and eating, 18 July 2011
I'VE long loved the passionate, well-informed and literary approach to food writing taken by the late, great M.F. K. Fisher. The stellar standard she set for writing about France, Tracey Lawson now accomplishes for Italy. This beautifully written book takes the reader into the heart of a community and its health-bringing cuisine. It's a lyrical and yet unsentimental account - a rare achievement - served up with wit and with a refreshing boldness about what really matters in life.

I read the book first for its stories about the village and its people and then, convinced by the sumptuousness of the dishes described, was tempted to read the recipes. These are offered in a friendly, no-nonsense style which accords with the intelligence of the prose. This wonderful fresh 'voice' in the food writing world shares insights as much about a culture and a philosophy as about 'la cucina'. I look forward to hearing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally inspirational., 5 Aug 2011
This book arrived yesterday and it resulted in a late night for me. I love it. I am able to completely absorb myself in it and feel like I am on that mountain! Totally inspiration. Does make you think about how we live and how we could adapt our diet and lifestyle in the Uk, even with the limitations of produce and climate. What a refreshing change.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to go there!!!, 7 July 2011
I saw this book last year but publication seemed to take a year longer than at first suggested so I crossed it off my list and forgot about it but looking at the new list of food books for 2011 it popped up again and I vascillated but eventually ordered it and I am so glad I did
I love the rustic way of life in this village described by the author and the recipes that went with it
I found similar recipes that my own Mother in Law used to make and showed it to Italian cousins who were equally fascinated and delighted
I have no hesitation is recommending this book - I love it
Also available on Kindle now so you can take it to Italy with you when you visit the area :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 July 2011
Graeme Dixon - See all my reviews
A well written book takes you into the village and its life by someone passionate about the subject. Wonderful stories brings the village alive and I wonder if she is the next big thing in terms of food writing?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Land of Make Believe, 24 Aug 2011
I had heard about the story of the village of Campodimele several years ago and it has always struck me that the tale of an Italian community, whose average life expectancy is 95, would make a great book - the sort of Shangri la of Italy.
The publishers call it a winning cross between Under the Tuscan Sun and You Are What You Eat, a book written for people who love to eat well and who love Italy.
They are right, but to me it is more than that.
The author's meetings with villagers like Natalina and Adamo are enchanting and the gradual, monthly cycle through the Italian climate, the local hills and forests and the villagers themselves, are unforgettable. I loved this book - and I may even start cooking for myself from now on!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real slice of Italian life, 10 Sep 2011
A wonderful book that is more than a tour guide and much more than just a cookery book. It is a life affirming insight into the day-to-day life of the neighbourly people in a remarkable village in Italy. It is both an excellent read and a view of how people might live in harmony together.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Year in the Village of Eternity, 6 Oct 2011
I bought this book for my wife which is giving her much pleasure and information about the village and the inhabitants,plus some very good recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars a year in the village, 30 Aug 2011
from the beginning of the book you are hooked and are there living the dream. Well written and and just makes you want to go there

5.0 out of 5 stars A Year in the Village of Eternity, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Year in the Village of Eternity (Paperback)
Felt I was right there in tuscany with the locals and easy recepies for local food thrown in with it

4.0 out of 5 stars ITALY, 14 May 2013
This review is from: A Year in the Village of Eternity (Paperback)
As an Italophile I found this a most interesting book and enjoyed reading the recipes that are included. It would be nice to think I could be that healthy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Year in the Village of Eternity
A Year in the Village of Eternity by Tracey Lawson (Paperback - 5 July 2012)