5.0 out of 5 stars I wished I had read this when I was in school !
Mathematics gets a bad press in school and elsewhere, characterized as dry and difficult ,is one of the most hated topics in a student can read. But for Alex Bellos math can be inspiring and brilliantly creative and he proves it in this book that can be read easily by most non-geeks.

Mathematical thought is one of the great achievements of the human race, and...
Published on 6 May 2010 by A customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book let down by sloppy Kindle conversion
I've just finished reading the Kindle edition of this book and really enjoyed it, but just had to comment on the slap-dash approach to the reproductions of most of the maths and equations in it.

Published on 3 May 2011 by Chris Houston

5.0 out of 5 stars I wished I had read this when I was in school !, 6 May 2010
A customer (Asturias) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Mathematical thought is one of the great achievements of the human race, and arguably the foundation of all human progress. The world of mathematics is a remarkable place.

Exploring the mysteries of randomness, he explains why it is impossible for our iPods to randomly select songs. In probing the many intrigues of that most beloved of numbers, pi, he visits with two brothers so obsessed with the elusive number that they built a supercomputer in their Manhattan apartment to study it.

Bellos has traveled all around the globe and has plunged into history to uncover fascinating stories of mathematical achievement, from the breakthroughs of Euclid, the greatest mathematician of all time, to the creations of the Zen master of origami, one of the hottest areas of mathematical work today.From the Amazon forest he tells the story of a tribe there who can count only to five and reports on the latest findings about the math instinct and also the revelation that ants can actually count how many steps they've taken.In India he finds the brilliant mathematical insights of the Buddha and in Japan he visits the creator of Sudoku and explores the delights of mathematical games.

Whether writing about how algebra solved Swedish traffic problems, visiting the Mental Calculation World Cup to disclose the secrets of lightning calculation, or exploring the links between pineapples and beautiful teeth, Bellos is a wonderfully engaging guide who never fails to delight even as he edifies. Here's Looking at Euclid is a rare gem that brings the beauty of math to life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book let down by sloppy Kindle conversion, 3 May 2011

Wherever a fraction is used in text, it's set in a minuscule font that most of the time is impossible to read. Similarly many of the more esoteric characters used when discussing alternate number systems or concepts are represented by tiny grey smudges.

Where longer equations are reproduced, they are often typo-riddled, or inconsistently transcribed. Sometimes powers are raised above the line, other times they're just a standard numeral. At other times the typos go beyond simple typographic quirks to the point of making the equations just plain wrong. Amusingly, throughout the book it insists that the symbol for infinity is "8".

I highly recommend the book, but if you're at all interested in the numbers you'll probably enjoy a paper version more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Maths, 16 Jun 2010
Gerard Mack "MACLEGNO" (Bergamo Italy) - See all my reviews
I am a non-mathematician but have a keen interest in it, and as such have read many books on the subject. This book is by far the most interesting and entertaining I have come across. The writing is clear and non-academic without being condescending. The author has a very easy pleasant style, erudite while still being amusing. If you have any interest in Mathematics this book is a must. Even if your interest is slight this book may convert you entirely. Obviously I can't speak as an expert but I'm convinced even they will find many delightful surprises here.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mathematical highlight, 21 April 2010
H. Gareth Ff Roberts (Bangor, Wales) - See all my reviews
`Alex's Adventures in Numberland' is a delightful cornucopia of stories and insights into the history and development of mathematical ideas. Peppered with wit and written with great charm, it sweeps the reader along in its exploration of the weird and wonderful world of mathematical abstractions, old and new. The narrative is greatly helped by the author's journalistic experience and his ability to use historical settings to draw the reader in to what may otherwise appear to be some tricky mathematics. The story is given a human face by the many anecdotes based on Alex's visits to talk with mathematicians across the globe, giving the book the feel of a travelogue, reflecting the best of travel writers such as William Dalrymple. Much is packed in to the 400 pages and the occasional disappointment that some of one's own favourite snippets and characters are omitted is more than compensated for by the exhilaration of the journey. A real page turner!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best browse buys I've made, 16 Aug 2010
Rob Sawyer (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
I found Simon Singh's 'Fermat's Last Theorem' a bit of a page turner which either makes me a right saddo or an intellectual genius. When I saw this book on one of my frequent browses I thought that sounds right up my street so bought it (it had good reviews).

Absolutely loved it, it is a romp through the history of maths in bite sized chunks which investigate certain aspects, e.g. sequences etc.

That man Euler was a genius wasn't he?

Alex Bellos has a very good way of writing, easy to read and sprinkled, sparingly, with a bit of humour too - thoroughly enjoyable. I'll even forgive him for saying 'math' once (well twice if you include a quote but that was from an American and we all know they can't speak English) and a typo in the logarithms section (can you spot it?).

Well done on an excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1,2,3,4 can I have a little more..., 27 April 2010
A lovely, infectiously entertaining book... it's a sort of mathematical equivalent of Bill Bryson's 'short history of nearly everything' on science.
I've just bought a second copy to give as a present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 14 May 2010
D. E. CAMERON (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
As one who, many years ago, just scraped by on the minimum amount of maths needed to pursue a career in chemistry, I've always enjoyed reading user-friendly books on maths --- with strictly no exam at the end --- but this one is in a class of its own. Every page-turn brings new vistas of mathematical marvels.

For all that, among the most interesting parts were those which dealt with might be thought, by comparison, more prosaic subjects, namely, the history of maths, right from man's first efforts at counting.

I didn't want the book to end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Numbers are fun!, 8 Aug 2010
K. Lindsell (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This is not a mathematical treatise but and immensely readable adventure into the intriguing world of numbers. It is a perfect antidote for those who hated maths and arithmetic at school showing how their interest could have been aroused had they been taught wisely. Alex Bellos illustrates how numbers and relationships between individual numbers and classes of numbers are mystifyingly fascinating. Numberland is indeed a wonderland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventures in Numberland, 4 Jun 2010
Desie "Des" (Newbury, Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
As an engineer I have always been intereted in numbers,and completed 4 modules in Mathematics during my OU Technology degree studies.
I found Alex Bellos' book fascinating and it has given me a new perspective on dealing with numbers. Having an understanding of their origins and how various theroms have developed is magical.
I strongly recommend this book to any student interested in numbers. Having read my copy my Grand son who is 17 and wants to be an aeronautical engineer has borrowed it and finds it fascinating. The book is well planned easy to read and it is easy to flit around the chapters as they bsically stand alone. A great book, no a marvellous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd read this book when I was young, 15 May 2010
S. Gibbons (sheffield uk) - See all my reviews
I have actually only read half of this book so far but have been so impressed that I feel compelled to write my first ever review. I am 46 but can still remember those achingly tedious, dry maths lessons and my dis-interest in the teachers - how much more respectful would I have been if I (or perhaps they !)had read this book. Who knows where it would have taken me. I have just sent off for a book on Euclid...thats how inspired I feel. Thank you for this epiphany. The next person who tells me maths is boring will get this book right between the eyes.

Alex's Adventures in Numberland
Alex's Adventures in Numberland by Alex Bellos (Paperback - 4 April 2011)