5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing little book.
Published on 22 May 2012 by Ricco

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good
Published on 4 Mar 2012 by EFP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 4 Mar 2012
EFP (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Herbs: River Cottage Handbook No.10 (River Cottage Handbooks) (Hardcover)
I confess to being slightly disappointed by this book. I had high expectations, having previously purchased other River Cottage handbooks and been totally wowed by them. With the other books in this series, the basics are covered for total novices but there are also some some really exciting tips and recipes. With this book, it never seems to get beyond the basic information that is easily found elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, this book isn't bad, just a little ordinary. If you are new to growing and cooking herbs, then you will find this book useful as it is well organised. If you want something more exciting, then look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to grow alongside cooking, 11 July 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Recently when purchasing herbs to make a casserole I was shocked at how much these few additions cost. Not tha they're a one use item but when you add them up over the course of a year it can be quite a tidy sum.

Growing up I remembered having a Bay Leaf Tree, fresh Chives and a few other fresh herbs around the garden, so when this book from River Cottage arrived I thought why not grow my own. After all, fresh is best and after a little outlay, provided you look after them, you can have fresh herbs for life.

Provided within are tips on how to cultivate you own supplies alongside some wonderful recipes for their usage. All in this is a great book all round and something that will add flavour to your meals and that, is rewarding in itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing little book., 22 May 2012
This year i've created my own herb garden in a few different forms and I needed a companion, something to offer advice where needed and how I can make the most of my herbs at a beginner level. This book was perfect for me. It is exactly what I would have expected and has a comprehensive index of some of the most common herbs and some other that you might not find around the British Isles.

If you are an advanced gardener and need something that a little bit different, I suggest you stick with what you know because I doubt you will learn anything new (excpet maybe a few of the recipes in the back) however if you need help and advice growing and cooking your own herbs and you don't currently own a book for this nature, get it! Its simple to follow, offers advice on cuttings, growing and cooking. And its half price (at the time of writing).

5.0 out of 5 stars A REALLY GOOD BOOK, 26 Jun 2012
I bought this book couple of weeks ago and I wasn't disappointed. A wonderful guide which explains the main garden herbs
and also some lovely recipes. Very pleased with it. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Herbs: River Cottage Handbook, 22 Oct 2013
As with all the River Cottage handbooks this one is full of useful and clearly laid out information. Good illustrations throughout and helpful addresses and further reading at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars It arrived in good Thyme, 1 Oct 2013
Great book all about herbs, with loads of growing and cooking tips and up to the usual River Cottage Standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 July 2013
This is a fantastic book and it arrived in great nick, I am so pleased with it. The packaging was very good and it was very quick on getting to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars As I expected, 12 Mar 2012
I have a few of the other handbooks, and have found them to be very interesting, written by experts who want to share knowledge and teach others. This one is the same. I'd been thinking of starting a herb patch this year and was really glad when I saw this book was coming out. It not only tells you how to grow each plant, but has interesting information about if plants would make good companion planting, their taste and storage.

Having just made the caraway fudge, I find the recipes really straight forward to follow (and what I've tasted from scraping the saucepan it tastes good too).

Yes, I'm sure you could find the information in this book elsewhere, but it's helpful in having it in one place, and as a beginner I've really enjoyed this book and think my cooking will benefit from it (once I've actually dug the plot).

4.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know, 21 Dec 2013
All you need to know about herb growing in your own herb garden.
If you like cooking these fresh herbs you will grow, will make your dishes great

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 8 July 2013
A good informative book which we keep handily on the shelf to consult when required , well worth the small outlay.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Herbs: River Cottage Handbook No.10 (River Cottage Handbooks)
10.49