Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 July 2014
Of all the books on the subject I've seen so far this one covers the subject at it's best. The style is seductive - it makes you want to "play" and gives a lot of facts to help on the way - only problem is it's very hard to put down - too much drooling over what could be! But other than that I'd reccomend it to anyone wanting to get started in charcutierie no matter which part.
on 3 February 2014
Just got me hands on Steven Lamb's new book and I have already started curing my own bacon.

The book looks great, full of delicious looking recipes, instructions and guides.

I am a big fan of the River Cottage handbook series and this one is proving an inspiration. Can't wait to try curing and smoking my own meat, fish, veg and cheese!
on 13 May 2014
I flick through most cooking books and look at the bits the interest me.

I read this one cover to cover and enjoyed it all. Have been very interested in curing meats since a few business trips to Serbia and visiting some locals home curing operations. Hopefully this will give me the knowledge to take it forward.
on 21 April 2014
I bought this after watching Steve on River Cottage Bites. It's the best food related book I've bought in ages.
Steven Lamb is both knowledgeable and enthusiastic about smoking food and this comes across in the clear, detailed and practical advice he gives. No need for fancy equipment or years of training, Steve makes you believe you can get it right first time. He's right, my first goes at bacon have been superb. Now for more adventurous stuff.
on 31 October 2014
Brilliant book - of course I have not had any results yet as sausage making and curing begins nxt week. However very clear and informative and has helped me make my lists of stuff to get etc. Nice pictures too and some of the recipes have me raring to go. Who knew it took 12 months to dry cure a ham to parma style. Hopefully my free range piggies will taste even better following these recipes. PS I was also looking for an up to date book and this was published this year.
on 26 March 2014
I have been dry curing bacon in the last few months and decided to buy this book to find out more.
Steven Lamb gives step by step instruction in how to become proficient in making these fine foods
on 12 February 2014
The day that Steven Lamb's excellent book arrived, I was several chapters in when the neighbouring farmer dropped in unexpectedly. On the basis of a sudden conversion, inspired by Steven's very readable, informative style that made it all seem so easy, I let him sell me half a pig! We love salami but hate nitrates so this is a real boon. Like all the River Cottage Handbooks it is excellent quality and value-for-money.
on 24 May 2014
Love this book. It goes into the science of curing as well as detailed information on preparing the meat and curing process. It has a recipe for each cure such as bacon or pancetta. Highly recommended.
on 9 April 2016
Mum's always wanted to make her own homemade salumi but been a bit too apprehensive to try.
Needn't have worried with this book. Very informative and easy to follow. Lots of different recipes to try out. So far we've made prosciutto, bresaola and salami with great success. Spalla will be ready in September, can't wait! So so happy we discovered this book! Thank you!
review image
on 7 March 2014
I shall be making myself a cold smoker this spring using the tips and instructions given, something I've been hankering after for many a year but not had the confidence to attempt. All my difficulties and worry's have been cleared up.
It should be useful to any competent D.I.Y.er with an interest in making their own tasty and experimental foods.