Published 6 months ago by Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
A good and helpful book but there are others out there that are better
Published 1 month ago by Victoria Goodchild

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the Subject by far, Simple, well explained steps, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
Well illustrated and well explained book for those wanting to take steps into home curing and smoking. Steve Lamb takes you through the processes from preparing the meat to curing, smoking and slicing and explains the principals involved in each step in an easy concise way. This is truly the best book I have so far on this topic, each item is explained in such a way that you want to have a go! If you have never tried but want to this is the book to start you on the journey to cure your own bacon and other meats, you won’t be disappointed by the results when you follow Steve’s step by step guide.

I would recommend this book to anyone like me who thought it would be good to have a go but have yet too. This puts all those concerns over storage, mould etc to bed with a nice cuddle from Steve.

This book far exceeded my expectations having purchased other books on the subject. Don't let the size fool you, it's packed, its easy to read with loads of pictures especially where it is needed in the butchery area showing the end results.

If its for yourself and fancy a go at curing or you know someone who is interested this is the book to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of its kind I've read, 4 Feb 2014
Linda (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
I have a small collection of books on curing and smoking and this is by far the best I've read. I may be a sad sack (don't bother to writ in) but I actually sat up last night until 0130 and read it from cover to cover.
It's extremely detailed and easy to follow in terms of techniques, ingredients and health and safety issues (pretty important when you're curing a salami and you like your family and friends enough not to want to kill them) and the recipes are so good I'm salivating as I sit here. Inspiring and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great informative book - tells the whole story, 6 Feb 2014
P. Whitlam "PDW" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
Unlike some of the books on this subject, Steven Lamb gets stuck into the how and why of curing and its science. There is a good mix of information and recipes but it's more of a curing book than a smoking book which I leaves you wanting more The butchery sections are excellent for a beginner to follow too, and a good reminder for those who do have the skills...

Just one small error in the book - in the basic brine recipe it should be 300gm of salt to 4540ml of water, not 454ml..... A quick email to RCHQ has illicited a reply from Steven - top marks here !

Can we have a handbook on sausages next ...??

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
Thanks to Steven, I made my own bacon and there's no turning back now. This inspiring book has made me think twice about buying supermarket bacon, and now I'm turning my hand to chorizo. Steven's warm, clear writing style reflects his fantastically unique approach at the River Cottage Cookery School. Genuinely life-changing for me. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative, 23 Jun 2014
W. Black "Bill Black" (Scarborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
I bought this book following HFW's article on hot smoking in the Guardian.

It's an interesting and informative book written by a man who is obviously an enthusiast, indeed he could possibly be described as a fanatic. However, to an extent, this is the problem with it as well. I've bought a small cheap smoker of the type HFW talks about in his article, and what I wanted was recipes for it rather than long complicated essays about making your own bacon and salami which is, I admit, well beyond me.

When you get to the right area of the book it is full of interesting stuff, and the recipes seem to be both tasty and practical, but there's an awful lot of dead wood to chop through for the 'backyard smoker'.

Still, this book is less than a tenner from Amazon, so it's a bargain and I can read, and dream, about making my own bacon...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 13 May 2014
T. Roussel (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
I flick through most cooking books and look at the bits the interest me.

I read this one cover to cover and enjoyed it all. Have been very interested in curing meats since a few business trips to Serbia and visiting some locals home curing operations. Hopefully this will give me the knowledge to take it forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and informative, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
Just got me hands on Steven Lamb's new book and I have already started curing my own bacon.

The book looks great, full of delicious looking recipes, instructions and guides.

I am a big fan of the River Cottage handbook series and this one is proving an inspiration. Can't wait to try curing and smoking my own meat, fish, veg and cheese!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... so far this one covers the subject at it's best. The style is seductive - it makes you ..., 13 July 2014
Michael Eaton "the Walrus" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
Of all the books on the subject I've seen so far this one covers the subject at it's best. The style is seductive - it makes you want to "play" and gives a lot of facts to help on the way - only problem is it's very hard to put down - too much drooling over what could be! But other than that I'd reccomend it to anyone wanting to get started in charcutierie no matter which part.

4.0 out of 5 stars river cottage, 7 Jun 2014
S. Alexander (new zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
it was all as I expected from this hand book easy to follow and with great photos this was very informative

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent bacon at last, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 (Hardcover)
Love this book. It goes into the science of curing as well as detailed information on preparing the meat and curing process. It has a recipe for each cure such as bacon or pancetta. Highly recommended.

Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13
Curing & Smoking: River Cottage Handbook No.13 by Steven Lamb (Hardcover - 31 Jan 2014)
9.99