Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 3 June 2013
For people who didn't like this book, the question you have to ask is, how many more times does 'The Rolling Stones Story' have to be retold. Each telling adds to the confusion with contradictory accounts. I enjoyed the book. It was interesting for this reason; it was written by a person who didn't like the music they produced and whose professional association related to business and was business-like. He appears to provide a very lucid account with descriptions of the band that appear to be honest. It was refreshing that there isn't the usual homo-erotic hagiography, hero-worshipping narrative about'the rock gods'. It enabled the reader to see the Stones from a non-musical perspective, and also, to understand better some of the issues surrounding decisions relating to their career. The book provides a vivd impression of them as young talented musicians, making a living, and how they grow up, but most of all it places them in the real world.
I read a report that Mick was annoyed with this publication, but I don't think the author has said anything that makes any of the band appear foolish. On the contrary, it was Mick's approach to Prince Rupert that saved the band from bankruptcy and destruction. His assessment of Keith is also interesting. It is a pity that there isn't more detail about the contractual problems with Klien as I found this information fascinating. It is also a funny book, and has the potential of being made into a comedy film.
We have Mick and Rupert to thank for the Stones long career.
on 4 March 2013
I made a video review for this book - you can watch it on Youtube, just type in "A Prince Among Stones" in YouTube search.

To a Non-Stones fan then there is not much reason to by this book unless you like German family history of which there is a great deal! and it's a 2 star review.To a Stones fan it's an interesting view on them by someone close to the deals, and it's a 3.5 out of 5 review...

My video review will tell you much more...
on 24 January 2014
i could not put the book down. it seems the music business is managed by managers who are corrupt. to find a person like the prince to sort all the financial problems out is quite rare. he seems a good man.

Brian

Manchester
on 13 January 2014
How can a perceptive person,write an indulgent book like this?The first 65 pages are inconsequential,eye glazing oh so boring family detail and other stuff,that you wonder when any meaningful detail about the Stones will appear.It does and the reality is that Mick,of them all was the most concerned about their money or lack of it and how that could be given their success.The answer is prosaic,predictable and over some years,sorted.Exciting? No.Long winded?Very.The author closes with another sleep inducing history of his family.I think this book was written for his relatives with the Stones sandwiched between.The publishers commissioning editor should be fired for inflicting this padded book on to the public
on 22 April 2016
This is one of the most boring books I have ever read. I am a business manager and had high expectations for this book but it quickly descends into a wallowing mess of aristocratic name dropping.
on 4 July 2013
When I was at primary school, our teachers tried to encourage us to read by quoting an old proverb:

"There is no book so bad you cannot learn something from it."

I don't think my teachers would have been proud with my choices of books, but I certainly learned a lot from them. Speaking of my choices of books, I am still able to raise eyebrows when I open my backpack. One day I will be reading a book on becoming a better writer, the other I will read a book nobody in the office would even think sitting next to. I just finished reading one of those obscure books.

I'm a fan of the Rolling Stones, but (surprise!) I am not a typical fan. I like their music, but I couldn't keep up with their lifestyle or with the lifestyle of a devout Stones' fan and I'm not obsessed with their total groupie count. OK, I like a little bit of gossip, but at my age I like the facts better. And those are hard to come by, because whatever the Stones' marketing machine tells us is hardly ever the whole truth.

I started listening to the Rolling Stones as the rock music was being pushed aside by house, acid, dance, jungle, and rap. Brought up of a mixture of rock and heavy metal, I was not compatible with the music of the 90s. After U2′s Rattle and Hum I had nowhere to go.

The Rolling Stones' music proved to be a nice refuge and I stayed there ever since. (I do listen to other bands, of course, but the Glimmer Twins have special place in my heart.) As I got interested in the history of the band, I realized that I like them even more and not only because of their music or the flamboyant image, but because of their story of financial ruin and re-birth, which made them more human in my eyes.

The story of their fight for their own money and rights is possibly even more fascinating than the stories of their adventures, but it was never told. And it should be told, because the story of the Rolling Stones' finances is one of the few stories where a banker is the good guy.

I always wanted to know more about their finances, how they ran the business side of the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world. These stories are very hard to come by, so I wasn't actively looking for them.

Over the last twenty or so years I have read about half a dozen books on the history of the band, but I didn't like them, because their authors were obsessed with drugs, sex, and urban legends. That can be fun, but it gets boring when people start rehashing the same old stories.

I was disappointed that all authors focused their attention on the endless procession of groupies, girlfriends, and wives and ignored one important character who was always there, silently working in the background, looking after the Stones' affairs, getting them out of jail, and protecting against the Establishment. Yet, he was never spared more than a couple of sentences. That man was Prince Rupert Loewenstein who had looked after the Stones' affairs for over 30 years. He was a banker who saved them, which in my world makes him a saint on Earth.

You wouldn't expect a banker to tell you how he managed his clients' affairs, but that is exactly what Prince Rupert Loewenstein does in his memoir, A Prince Among Stones.

The book is too short for me, does not go into enough detail, but it is a very enjoyable read for a fan of the Stones' who wants to get the backstory. For me it is an essential appendix to the Keith Richards' astonishingly good Life.

Apart form being a unique who-is-who of his social circle, Prince Loewenstein's book offers some very good advice:

- arrange your tax affairs in a way that helps you retain what you earn
- buy property on freehold
- it's good to have a good banker on your side
- good bankers have access to more people than you can imagine
- good bankers know no borders and can communicate, travel, and operate as if political systems, divisions, or even wars did not exist; they are immune to such silly things

Unfortunately, people of Prince Loewenstein's character are very hard to come by. Which is a shame. But at least we have his book. Recommended, not only for a Stones' fan.

@jacek
on 10 June 2014
A fascinating insight into the music industry's financial world and the incredible life of this Prince. Behind the scenes with the Rolling Stones is quite interesting, too!
on 30 March 2013
I was really looking forward to reading this book, as I have been a Stones fan since I saw them in 63/64 at Eel Pie Island. I downloaded it to my kindle and went on holiday expecting to spend the days sheltering from the sun and reading some gory financial details about the band, and the way the record business worked. What a letdown! Having finished the book, I can only remember paragraphs about the restricted cost of post war lunches (11/6), lawyers hourly rates (£50) and the price of a portrait being sold for £40. Oh, I forgot, someone asked what to do with a bag full of dollars!

How did the prince get the Stones away from Alan Klein, he doesn't say, but it did cost lots and take 18 years. A Prince Among StonesIf you want to read about Prince Rupert Loewenstein's family, who he knew and stayed with, this is the book for you. If you want to know about the financial side of touring and makng records, then do some research on the net, 'cos it's not in here.
on 23 March 2013
Don't buy this book in the belief that it will provide much more than superficial insights into the Rolling Stones.

I had hoped for more - being in business myself and a Stones fan - but the book is largely a continuous namedropping paean to the cossetted and cocooned life of the European aristocracy.

A generation ago this would have been a vanity publication but the over-hyped Stones connection has given the book an undeserved commercial cachet.

Beware Stones fans......for me this was a waste of money and an opportunity lost by the writer.
on 29 April 2014
What an entertaining biography about the Stones' businesses
in the last four decades.
Recommend this book to every Stones fan.