Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 May 2010
What can I say about Heston Blumenthal that hasn't been said already? A genius? A wizard? A national treasure? He's all of these, of course...and a chef who actually appears to be enjoying himself, which is increasingly rare these days.

This book ties in with the latest Channel 4 series of Feast programmes. I say 'the latest' because there is nothing here from the first series - you'll have to get the DVD instead (which covers the first series only). Not that this matters. While I sort of wanted to do that Victorian Alice in Wonderland 'Drink Me' potion that keeps changing flavour (see the DVD), I knew it would be enormously complicated and I'd never get round to it. One or two of these recipes are...well, not UNCOMPLICATED exactly (this ain't Delia) but just about possible to do!

And what imagination: from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the Titanic and the Brothers Grimm to Dracula, Heston's ideas run riot. Then there are the eras in which we grew up with feasts based around the seventies and eighties. Yum yum!

It's all lavishly illustrated, the recipes are there in full and the accounts of his adventures in coming up with the final menus make compulsive reading.

One other thing: unlike The Big Fat Duck Cookbook, this one is very easy to lift.

Thank you, Mr Blumenthal, the Willy Wonka de nos jours!
on 30 August 2010
Bought three of these books for male friends as presents. I have just been to his restaurant the Fat Duck and have been telling anybody who will listen just how good it is. Giving the book was a fitting gift. The books have been warmly received by all and it's a really good read, even if you never cook any of the recipes!
on 12 October 2010
I never intended to cook from this, but there are some recipes that are probably manageable without buying extra equipment. I bought it for entertainment value and it's lived up to that.
on 15 June 2010
Beautiful book. Full of the Heston's mysteria, will draw you in same way the fairy tale did.
Exclusively presented, would make an ideal gift. On of those 'special books' that people enjoy conversing about.
on 1 February 2013
I bought this for my son as a Christmas present as he's into cooking weird things and he really, really liked it. He was impressed as he thought it would just show Blumenthal's end results but it actually gives you the recipes. Heaven only knows what we'll be dished up with the next time we go to dinner LOL but I would recommend it.
on 16 December 2012
I got this book as I had been so overjoyed with "Heston Blumenthal at Home". This was a big disappointment. It is full of talk of amazing recipies, but more than half the stuff described isn't followed by a recipe. Even the savoury lollies. He includes the recipe for just one. Don't think that would impress my guests.
on 3 December 2012
I am so thrilled with this lovely book I have bought for my daughter for Christmas. I bought her his "chemistry sets" for making amazing treats and cocktails for her birthday so she will love this. Even if she never uses the recipes, the story telling and the lovely photos will make such enjoyable reading.
on 30 July 2013
This book isn't a cook book but more a book to follow along with the series that was filmed for Channel 4. It tells you about how he came up with the crazy things he did in the series.

There are recipes in the book but they are more incidental, rather than recipes you would try at home!
on 17 December 2012
Thought there would be more recipes but still enjoyed the book as it spoke a lot about different things he had done with food and how he had come about his creations.
on 19 December 2015
Prompt and initially pleased with 'as new' book but found drip on lettering so cldon't give to friend. However for the money it was excellent value so 4 stars.