5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book of cakes
This is the best cake book since Nigella's How to Be a Domestic Goddess came out in 2000. Pam Corbin has a lovely warm writing style, and she is similar to Nigella in the way she introduces each recipe with an interesting little history, as if they are friends she knows we'll get along with really well. Pam achieves exactly the right amount of intimacy with her reader -...
Published on 18 Jun 2011 by Heather

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading description
This isn't a review of the book itself, more the publisher/Amazon's product description. If you're looking forward to baking the Yorkshire Rhubarb Gingerbread or Blueberry Yoghurt Cake they've highlighted you'll be disappointed to find that there aren't recipes for these in this book!
Published on 5 July 2011 by JustSaying...

4.0 out of 5 stars I have looked at many cake books ..., 8 July 2011
This review is from: Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 (Hardcover)
When I found this one I liked it because it is a good down to earth book, that is full of good information. I really like it!x

5.0 out of 5 stars Baking heaven, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 (Hardcover)
They say the proof of the pudding, or rather in this case the cake, is in the eating. My cake tins are eagerly awaiting the next offering from this book, the only trouble is that they all disappear so fast it's a good job that I've got the bowl to lick out. If you are an established baker or a novice this book is for you, it is set to become a standard kitchen cookbook not a coffee table tome. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even I can make a c, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 (Hardcover)
Great recipes and all that I have tried so far have been eaten with gusto by the whole family.
I intend to try all the recipes over the next few months!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cakes (river cottage handbook), 21 April 2011
This review is from: Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 (Hardcover)
We have so far bought all of the handbooks and like the others the cake handbook is really good.

I have bought 3 copies of this book so far having given two of them away as gifts.

This book has something for everyone in the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another River Cottage Success, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 (Hardcover)
Another excellent book from the River Cottage Series. Compact and well illustrated and full of useful advice about techniques. This latter is especially useful since some lavish modern cookbooks seem content to give recipes. The handbook gives information on basic processes for cooking a wide range of cakes and these processes can, of course, be used for one's own recipes or those found in other books. Well worth the money and the space on the kitchen shelf - or for pleasureable reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
W. J. Phillips (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Great title and easy to follow, 17 April 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 (Hardcover)
If like me, you're a fan of desserts then this is perhaps one for you. Contained within is a whole host of recipes from the rather humble but delicious Victoria Sponge to the more adventurous Battenburg as well as special occasion cakes such as a good recipe for a cracking Christmas centre piece or even the delightful Parkin to help keep you toasty on Bonfire Night.

Its full of cakes for all tastes and times of year and will allow the reader to present something a little special each time its rolled out. Currently I've only tried one or two (well I'm not following the Jean-Jacques Rousseau's advice that was attributed to Marie Antoinette (Let them eat Cake) and these to date have been very good. I really look forward to rolling out some of the others when opportunity allows and it takes the worry out from creating to a near perfect guarantee for each one within. It's taken me from can cook a main meal, to can cook a main meal with a cracking light pud. Great all in and a title that rather than share with my family, I'm going to horde as my own secret stash. Make sure you do the same as otherwise you could well find that it goes walkabout.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 26 Aug 2011
Julia Guthrie (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 (Hardcover)
Having had such amazing success with previous RC books I was happy to get this new one on cakes. However, having flicked through it a couple of times, nothing really jumped out at me as 'oooh I must try that!'
The recipes are quite samey (do we really need 2 lemon cakes virtually the same?), & lots of them seem to have added creme fraiche or other ingredients almost as a desperate attempt to make them 'new & different'.
Sadly it doesn't.
I made the rock cakes...they were nice, but nothing I don't already have in other cook books.
I have just made her 'bake off cookies' & quite honestly, I really wouldn't recommend them.
Sorry but it's a thumbs down for Pam The Jam (I have the preserves book too by they way, & I wouldn't even recommend her jam!).

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Scandinavian or French Cake book., 18 May 2012
This review is from: Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 (Hardcover)
I have never seen self-raising flour in a supermarket here in Denmark, and most of the cakes apparently need self-raising flour to be made, so they are out. I thought I would get a good cakebook with wholesome and good cakes you can eat without going into sugar chock, but this is not the case here. And it is very misleading to call it the River Cottage Cake book, if you think about the TV series.

The cookies and cakes are extremely sweet and to old fashioned for my taste. Some are made with Cider and toffee like substances and there is cakes decorated with fruit color and contain sugary fruits and what not. It also makes me sick to think about a chokolate cake that is made with drinking cocoa instead of a real good cocoa. And there is Bounty Bar cake and Lime and Coconut cake, apple and caramel cake. It is not just apple cake, or blueberry muffins, it is double up or more, all the way.

If you like the French style cake, with the wholesome ingredients, you do not want this book. This book is just too much plain and milk chocolate, not the wholesome 70-85% chocolate. The Florentines have red coctail berries and the Victorian Sandwich Cake has both Raspberry Jam inside in a layer, and sugar on top - It makes my teeth cringe, just to think about it.

After having looked through it, I doubt I will use this book for much cake baking, and if I do, it will hardly be without changing this or that, and then, why not just use a cake book with cakes you would like to make and eat?

Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8
Cakes: River Cottage Handbook No.8 by Pam Corbin (Hardcover - 7 Mar 2011)
10.49