5.0 out of 5 stars Totally readable
Both me and my sister thoroughly enjoyed this novel. I've read it in three days and I teach full time but couldn't wait to get back into it. The author has a way of describing thoughts and feelings that really make you feel total empathy with each character. I was able to picture this novel like watching a drama on TV and feel the tension between the characters as if I...
Published on 5 May 2012 by Softtouch

3.0 out of 5 stars An elegant but not easy novel to read
When a car accident places Charles in a coma, his wife Anne and daughter Charlotte are left to examine their relationships and the events that have led them to that point.

Initially, though the prose was elegant, this did strike me as a kitchen sink drama. There is an awful lot of analogy used in consecutive sentences but as they are all very original, useful...
Published on 20 Jun 2011 by E. S. Jackson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful, moving tale, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Scissors, Paper, Stone (Paperback)
This is a brilliant debut novel, full of emotional truths and ever so sad. I would have given it five stars except that it is at times a little over-written, with just a bit too much description and appealing to the reader's sympathies. That's forgivable though. Also, I'd hesitate to recommend it wholeheartedly to everyone because of its sadness - you need to be feeling robust to read it. The overall experience is satisfying, but heart-rending. It is, above all, thoroughly believable. I'm glad to have read it and will be seeking out the author's new novel.

The only thing I took issue with was the mention of cling-film in a domestic scene from about 20 years ago. Was it really around back then??

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Scissors, Paper, Stone (Paperback)
A sad little story of 'dysfunctional' [read unpleasant] families who apparently hate each other passionately for years. Day is a cool and thoughtful writer whose taut style occasionally betrays a lack of depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scissors Paper Stone, 14 Jun 2012
This was a really good read. Very well written and it caught my attention from the first page and created excellent characterizations of the protagonists. It was gripping but I thought that the ending was too neat and did not live up to the tension throughout the book until the last 10 pages. Nevertheless, I would strong;y recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars hard to put down, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Scissors, Paper, Stone (Paperback)
what a brilliant book, I found I could not put it down, and shed a few tears, not something I am prone to, but this book was written in such a way that the characters are so real and I could understand their pain and difficulties. The ending was not a happy ever after, Charles although he has also suffered his own torture,it was clear he chose his own path following this, the consequences of which came back to bite.
This book was well researched, realistic yet woven around a gripping story.
A great book for opening up the issues for families facing emotional and sexual abuse. What I liked was that it did not do the "pity me," stuff nor placing the victims on pedestals, but exposed the mistakes we all make, each character making choices, some positive, some not and the consequences of those choices.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated? Angry? Change the furniture!, 10 Sep 2013
The reviews on the book's cover give glowing testimonials to this journalist`s first published novel. It does focus on the evocative and our reading group became quite animated during the review.

A slow start introduces the Redfern family. A spineless and down-trodden wife, Anne has evidently done little to nurture or protect her very troubled daughter, Charlotte. They have lived in fear and awe of the tyrannical and abusive, Charles. Their patriarch, conveniently, lies unconscious in bed and is very much at their mercy.

The dialogue between these disengaged women by his hospital sick bed shows no hint of any changes that might alleviate their dissatisfaction with their lives, or their relationships. Charlotte's boyfriend Gabriel is the only character in the plot to develop and change. No one is particularly likeable or interesting. If Anne is truly worn down by submission she never really demonstrates her frustrations or anger, except when she changes the furniture. Whilst acknowledging that change is scary, we questioned why Anne had married and stayed with Charles. As a young woman she was supposedly both intelligent and very attractive. It might have been more easily understood if she had been just a `plain Jane', like her loyal friend Janet who Charles despised.
There is no real build up, or increase in tension, just one unprecedented physical demonstration of frustration from Charlotte in the hospital and, even that, is futile. There is a distinct lack of drama and anguish and therefore little enticement for the reader to become involved in the women's presumed misery and the background to it. We suggested an alternative ending could have given some clarity, possibly retribution, or at least more defiance than Anne changing the sofa that Charles loved.

The time changes are confusing and although it was most likely set in the 1990s there were indications of it being more recent. The likelihood of this being a true story was also suggested. Possibly the idea came during an interview with a victim of child abuse or mental cruelty.

Like a tortuous, never-ending game of `Paper, Scissors, Stone', these unlikable family members attack each other and there is no winner.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok., 11 Jun 2013
I felt this book was flawed, The portrayal of the daughter was good and believable buth somehow that of the mother fell flat, well it was flat and I didn't feel I knew anymore about her at the end of the book than I did at the beginning. The novel began in the present and then went back in time but sometimes it seemed like it had gone back to the 1950s although I think it was meant to be the 70s and 80s.
A fairly miserable read until the last chapter when all was sunny and wonderful and the angel Gabriel saved the day.
I wouldn't recommend it really, there are other books to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have not yet read it, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Scissors, Paper, Stone (Paperback)
It had a good review so I thought I would. Read it but as yet I have not had time

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Scissors, Paper, Stone
Scissors, Paper, Stone by Elizabeth Day (Paperback - 4 Jan 2011)
9.28