5.0 out of 5 stars Feeding your child River Cottage style!
Published on 23 April 2011 by Pompom

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice collection of recipes
My mother bought me this book (it arrived this morning) as I had literally cooked Annabel Karmel to death and desperately needed a fresh bout of inspiration. I was extremely excited at the idea of a River Cottage baby cookbook! as I love seasonal cooking and thought that one aimed at babies and toddlers is a fabulous idea. The ethos behind the book is good as, fresh is...
Published on 12 May 2011 by mrsmichellebary

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeding your child River Cottage style!, 23 April 2011
Pompom (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
I am something of a River Cottage addict, and, with a 2 year old at home, when I noticed this book appearing in my recommendations I had a closer look. I did hesitate on whether to order it or not, given that I don't own any other books specifically aimed at feeding children. A read reveals that is an absolute bible on feeding your child - from breastfeeding all the way through to adulthood. Throughout the book preaches a message of trying to relax and give your child a balanced varied diet.

Before getting into the recipes, the book gives advice on a number of areas including why to cook for your children - ranging from the better taste, control in what goes in to reducing packaging. Good food shopping is next on the list. All fairly obvious, but it does set the book firmly in the River Cottage corner. Despite providing a normal index at the back, Nikki gives a very thorough and useful 6 page table, split up by vegetable/fruit, giving when it is in season, how to store it, what do with a glut and where the recipes are in the book. Glut ideas - for apples - range from pureeing to grating to use in cakes, coleslaw and burgers. This Raw Ingredients chapter ends with the things to avoid - E-numbers, processed foods and too much sugar/salt and the wrong sort of fat.

The next chapter is The First Year - the great food adventure begins. This chapter includes breastfeeding, formula feeding, milk (even what formula to choose),when to wean, weaning, allergenic food and reluctant eaters.

Nutrition - what exactly does your child need - follows next. Basically a thorough overview of a good varied diet, including drinks, quantities, vegetarian and vegan diets, salt, sugar, what you shouldn't give to children before a certain age (generally because of a risk of choking, infection, or is potentially toxic for a small child), food allergies and intolerance.

Problems with Food - dealing with conflict and anxiety at mealtimes. This was of particular interest to me given my 2 year olds current efforts to exert himself and his refusal of many of the things I've prepared for him. Nikki advice includes issues over food, food refusal, eating too much and not eating enough. She gives guidance on how to deal with anxiety when your child refuses what you give them and how to cope with difficult mealtimes, and concludes on how to encourage your child to eat well.

Cooking for the family - a flexible approach - is the chapter that finally gets to the recipes! The chapter starts with a few pages of advice, including notes on ingredients and cooking with your kids. Starting with single ingredient purees, from beetroot to sweet potato and then moving on to mixed purees (parsnip and apple/chicken and lettuce), I wish I had had this book when my son was at the puree stage, the purees even sound tasty to me.

The next chapters give recipes by season. Each recipe contains an overview of the nutritonal value of the meal (not in calories), and gives advice on how to adapt the recipe if required and variations. I've given a few recipes for each season to give you an idea of what's included.

Spring - Avocado and Houmous salad, Frittata, Saag paneer, Chowder, Golden goujons, Chicken liver pate, Oaty rhubarb crumble

Summer - Tangy tofu dip, Courgette and cheese dip, Courgette polpette, Pea risotto, Lamb curry, baked peaches.

Autumn - Apple muesli, Cheese and apple on toast, Carrot and lentil soup, Felafel, Fish and fennel pizza, Banana and Sultana cake, Steamed pumpkin pudding, Pear and nut smoothie.

Winter - Eggy bread, Beetroot coleslaw, Brussel sprouts gratin, Little toads in the hole, Baby baked apples, Apricot and orange loaf.

All Year Round - Basic bread, Spelt and apple stars, Polenta 'chips', White bean houmous, Rice pudding.

I have to admit that I wasn't an avid reader of baby food books and I didn't have tremendously high hopes when I ordered this book - but I am really impressed. There are numerous recipes I will try here, not only for my little boy, but for my family. I will also read over Nikki's advice on refusal again; she makes some good points and they're certainly worth a go. Another worthy addition to the River Cottage cookbook collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
really great book, discusses baby led and 'standard' weaning and really promotes a mix of the two to suit you - ideal in my opinion and just what i was looking for
lovely recipes, healthy, simple and lots of tips too

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cook book, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
I've made many of the recipes from this book for my son and the rest of the family. Great for weaning and toddler stages

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a brilliant baby cookbook which starts with suggestions for purees when just starting weaning and progresses to yummy recipes to suit the whole family. It explains what foods are allowed at different ages (at 6 months, 12 months, etc) and what foods are a no go. I really enjoyed reading this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book with good recipes, 18 May 2012
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
Great recipes for babies! Love that it includes recipes for BLW and recipes are divided into seasons to include seasonal fruit and veg accordingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible recipe book for feeding the whole family, 8 Jan. 2013
A. Jackson "book worm" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
I currently have this on loan from the library but I will be buying this as soon as I have to give it back. My daughter is 2 and a half and is currently going through a stage of being scared of anything new with regards to food, it is so frustrating and worrisome, especially as she used to wolf down everything including curry!

On the subject of food refusal the author offers advice and reassurance without being judgemental. I was getting stressed because my daughter had become extremely fussy but this book has given me a new perspective, ok she doesn't eat spaghetti bolognese packed full of vegetables but she will eat plain pasta with a side salad and plenty of fruit for dessert, so she is still getting everything she needs, for that reassurance alone i think the book is worth buying!

I also wished I had bought this book when she was a baby, the breast-feeding section is great without being exclusive, there is also valuable advice on formula, there is no emotional language that will send you into a spiral of guilt if you choose to bottle feed, just information which i think is great especially for first time mums. Great advice on follow on milks too.

The recipes are fantastic, I personally found Annabel Karmel a complete faff, I love the fact that these are for the family, the author doesn't believe in 'childrens food', just tasty food that can evolve with the child and can be adjusted for more mature palates. Recently I decided to get my daughter in the kitchen with me and help assemble her salad, roll the dough for a homemade pizza and then put the toppings on. She ate everything. The next day I got her to stir tomato sauce into her pasta, again, she ate everything (a miracle as tomato sauce and pasta was one of the rejected foods, nothing can touch on the plate!). I was pleased to see this is encouraged in the book with suggested tasks that your child can do.

I also find the charts on seasonality so helpful, not only does this mean I can 'eat the seasons' which results in tastier, low mileage food, but it means I can buy those ingredients cheaper!

A brilliant, accessible book with tasty and healthy foods to give your child the best start on their food journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing book, 8 Jun. 2012
Mrs. G. Richardson (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have just started looking into the ins and outs of weaning. Fortunately I have been given copies of the Annabel Karmel and Gina Ford books but they were lacking and left me feeling unprepared for weaning.

This book goes one step further than being a simple cookbook, not only does it have fantastic recipes (the others do too) but it has a brilliant section on weaning, it is objective and easy to read. I feel like I have goggle eyes from all the internet research I have done of late so it is so nice to read this book and finally feel I have the full picture as well as a bank of lovely sounding recipes.

Another BIG plus point is that the meals are designed for all ages with suggestions how to make them baby/toddler/adult friendly so the whole family can sit and eat the same thing together which I really want to do. The others dont do this.

I am now feeling prepared and actually looking forward to cooking for my little one and us sitting together to eat as a family, well done River Cottage!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 28 April 2014
MILLIE HALL "MILLIE" (ST BOSWELLS SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
Enjoyed lots of thing to try I am not a good cook and have problems swallowing but will try some of the treats thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so great for babies, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
Not so great for babies, but excellent for toddlers. As I finished with Annabel K's 'complete baby and toddler meal planner' this came into its own. However, it's not brilliant for all the family I would say. Some recipes are a bit too like baby food others are a bit too adult for babies. V useful for a good seasonal range for toddlers, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant recipes for all the family!, 19 July 2013
This review is from: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook (Hardcover)
At the time of buying this book my little one was just cutting her first tooth and I was making purees for her but not much else. This book helped me to start thinking about how to introduce more exciting textures and tastes, whilst building meals that we can all eat together and that are really, really tasty! Great recipes and I'd highly recommend this book to any one who's thinking of baby led weaning as the introduction gives you a more in depth idea of how baby led weaning works and a brief/ easy to digest nutritional guide. The pictures are, as ever with river cottage books, beautiful and the way it is written interesting and engaging. It set out in seasons which gives you a good idea of when certain fruit and veg are ripe and available to you. This book just makes you want to spend all your time in the kitchen!

River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook by Nikki Duffy (Hardcover - 3 May 2011)