5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous gift!
My friend loved this gift! Highly recommend it!
Also, speedy delivery in perfect condition. Thank you very much! Get this for someone for Xmas/birthday... it's suitable for anybody.
Published 10 months ago by skinnyjake

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware...Hapax Legomena.
Published 9 months ago by J. G. Roland

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware...Hapax Legomena., 10 Nov 2013
J. G. Roland "Bildeborg" (Cornwall, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
I puchased this book to compliment my other 'unusual word' books as I have an interest in such. Alas, in this work there are so many words that are simply figments of the author's imagination. Having my suspicions early on, I decided to check a select few with my OED (full 20 volume set) and found the bulk of them not to be listed. Granted, OED2 was published in 1989, and many words have come into our language since that date, but I also checked on the OED website where OED3 is viewable in its most up to date form and still most of my selected list of words were not to be found.

Where listed words are 'real' words, I'm afraid Bowler's humour or should I say attempted humour intermingled with the definition is very poor indeed and strongly detracts from the book as a whole. There are many worthwhile 'unusual word' books out there, but this one is definitely a miss.

I would highly recommend Foyle's Philavery and Foyle's Further Philavery if unusual words are your bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars STRETCH YOUR VOCABULARY, 4 Jun 2014
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV) "Hayling Is... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
The title is rather tongue in cheek but the content is both fun and informative.

It contains a host of words (and their meanings) which have fallen out of use but can easily be introduced into conversation.

The book is nicely written, easy to follow and the words are well chosen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous gift!, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
My friend loved this gift! Highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars present for a pedant, 26 April 2013
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
birthday present for a rather pedantic colleague, who immediately tried to find the rude words. . . . . .

4.0 out of 5 stars Xmas present, 2 April 2013
E. A. Day (Hertfordshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
This was a perfect extra Christmas present for my son as he likes to show off sometimes with his command of the English language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what I wanted., 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
The ideal book for quoting from or referring to when words or phrases arise and you can just look them up and know what they are immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make an Impression, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
This is a great book - thoroughly enjoyed by the receiver who spent many hours over christmas hoping to impress his guests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book I first saw reviewed in my newspaper., 20 Dec 2012
Does not disappoint.
If you enjoy the English language, literature and humour, and perhaps Stephen Fry, this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book, i bought for a present. Fast postage, great service. I would use this company again.

4.0 out of 5 stars CONVENIENT FOR LITTLE ROOM READING......., 4 Nov 2011
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words (Hardcover)
.......if you get my drift! Each time I have a moment to pause for a minute or two in this most useful room in the house, I will pick up and read a few pages of the splendiferous words, their meanings, and contextual usages, and have fun imagining how I might bring any of the words into play personally in writing or in the general flow of conversation.

I have, however come to the conclusion that my using one or more words from this erudite selection would pass right over the heads of most people unnoticed and/or not understood, but with the smarter alecs prompt the riposte "he's read that Peter Bowler's book and is trying to be a clever devil!" Either way I would be ignored or mocked, so I am afraid that this book must remain in it's present position of convenience, for my amusement only during times of strain.

Nevertheless a jolly fine, amusing and interesting read in an arcane way.

The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words
The Completely Superior Person's Book of Words by Peter Bowler (Hardcover - 2 Nov 2009)
10.49