5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Reviews - Darke by Angie Sage
Published on 24 Oct. 2011 by purpledoor64

1.0 out of 5 stars audible version
I bought this via Amazon's Audible service- trying to be environmentally friendly, and avoid the production and postage of CD's which could just be bought and downloaded.
This service appears to be completely useless unless you own an i-pod or similar.
Certainly, the books were encrypted in a form that was unplayable on my daughter's Sony MP3 player, her Samsung...
Published on 28 Dec. 2011 by njh

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Reviews - Darke by Angie Sage, 24 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Darke: Septimus Heap Book 6 (Hardcover)
The Septimus Heap books have to be one of my favourite children's series and definitely go a long way towards filling my Harry Potter hole. I never buy hardback editions of books - I can't afford to spend over £10 on one book! - but for Angie Sage's books I make an exception because each tome is just such a beautiful item and the pages deserve to be thick and crisp. Each chapter has a beautiful pencil drawing on the first page which gives me huge green eyes of jealousy that I can't draw like that but really add a magical, tangible dynamic to the story.

I have to specify when and where you need to read a Septimus Heap book: on a chilly winter's evening, preferably with a howling wind outside, when there's no on else at home and you can curl up in the comfy chair by the fire complete with duvet. OK, that setting is not essential but that is definitely where you can feel the full benefit of the wonderful warming sensation you get from reading Angie Sage. It's like reading a big mug of hot chocolate with a generous serving of whipped cream and marshmallows. Darke is especially in need of a duvet because Septimus and in fact the entire Castle find themselves swallowed up by a terrifying Darke Domaine. This is what I love about Angie Sage, she always manages to conjure up something completely different for each book, putting her characters in new situations so they are always developing in new ways. That, in my opinion, is the true skill of a great series writer. Septimus' world is just so stuffed full now with engaging settings, fascinating mythology and colourful characters, it really feels like you are stepping into Angie's world every time you open a new book. It's always a thrill to meet with old characters again and discover some new ones. In Darke, you actually get to know a lot better many of the other characters apart from Septimus as the story divides between several character groups. Sep's sister Jenna blossoms into a courageous leader, selfless Beetle takes heroism to a new height while the wayward Simon redeems himself.

I think the strongest message in the Septimus Heap books is definitely that of family which is perfect for the middle grade/young teen age group it's aimed at. Very often Angie Sage introduces a lost soul character who struggles through the book but in the end is either rewarded or redeemed by finding his lost family. Quite a few characters end this way in Darke, which is actually a nice resolution at the end of the Darkest book in the series. Angie Sage has really struck a great balance between the looming threat of the situation and lighter moments. She pushes her characters to the edge but always reins in the tension with characteristically witty moments, making the characters more flawed and endearing - even the baddies!

I cannot urge you enough to explore this series, even if you don't usually read books geared more towards younger teens. It's definitely one of those Harry Potter moments where anyone can read them to enjoy a brilliant story and a big grin session. They are not overly "young" to read and have a decent level of complexity both in the world Angie Sage has created and in her stories to make them engaging whatever age you are. I'm in my mid-twenties and I just love them - and I can't wait for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Enjoyable Series, 18 July 2011
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
I have read all this series in ebook form, and for once that worked greatly to my advantage as I had not realised, when my preorder became available, that I was getting the kindle edition long before the hard back hits the shelves in the UK. Why we in the UK should be made to wait so long is not clear to me, as this is a perfect summer read for children and young adults, as well as adults who enjoy a thoroughly engaging tale, with a huge cast of wonderful characters.

If you found Darke first, please note that this is part of a series that starts with the book "Magyk". Magyk is a wonderful piece of writing and you should go and buy it now. No seriously, right now!

If you are still reading this review it is either because you ignored my advice (shame on you) or you have enjoyed this series so much that like me you are still reading it as quickly as you can. If that is the case, I am wasting my time telling you how good a story it all is, so here are some thoughts on the latest book.

Darke begins on the eve of Septimus and Princess Jenna's 14th birthday. They are on the brink of adulthood as measured in their society, and things are changing. Septimus is also about to embark on yet another extraordinarily dangerous parts of his apprenticeship - Darke Week. Add to that a banishing accident with poor Alther, and the return of some other shady characters and you have all the elements of another page-turning tale. Your only regret reading this is likely to be that the story is over, and you have to wait so long for the next installment.

I give the story five stars. It is as good as ever. If I have some minor criticisms, these would be that maybe the humour was not quite so quick coming as earlier books. And yet the quirky humour is still very much in evidence. There are also some literary references that may or may not suit the story (depending on your mood). A refernce to "Their and Back Again lane" pays homage to "The Hobbit" and the character Bertie Bott will certainly have everyone thinking of every flavour beans.

This series bears some resemblance to Harry Potter of course. It is about a student in magic (or magyk at least). It is to span 7 books, and the quirky humour is reminiscent of JK Rowling's style. But these books are anything but derivative or formulaic. This is a very different tale in a very different world, and is in no way a Harry Potter clone. So I am not quite sure why we have Bertie Bott! But like all the other characters, Bertie is interesting.

I particularly like Angie Sage's endings (and the epilogues), and this book is no exception.

A first class read. It may not be the best book I have ever read in my life but it richly deserves five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, 7 Jun. 2013
I have read all of the books in this series and loved everyone of them! I would recommend this book to either a girl or a boy for a reading age of 9-12 years. Rebecca aged 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Darke, 1 April 2012
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darke: Septimus Heap Book 6 (Hardcover)
Oh I think this has got to be my favourite Septimus Heap book so far. I think they have been gradually getting less childish. While I would still classify Darke as a children's book it is much more sinister than the last 5. With the horrible `Things' and the two faced ring and it's power it brings to mind Tolkien's Dark Riders and The One Ring. I still feel somewhat sorry for Merrin, somehow despite everything he has done he still seems like a victim to me. Maybe because of the way he was introduced to the Darke, maybe just because in many ways he is still a child. Somehow that makes what he does seem not so bad. Increasingly the barriers between Magyk and Darke Magyk are being blurred. The bad guys are not so bad (certainly not in the way Dom Daniel was) and maybe the good guys are not so good either. It all adds up to a book which is distinctly more adult than the others in the series. I wouldn't go as far as to say children shouldn't read it. Nothing is too graphic except in where your own imagination may work on something.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE DARKE, 14 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Darke: Septimus Heap Book 6 (Hardcover)
ALTHOUGH I HAVE JUST CELEBRATED MY 70TH.BIRTHDAY I LIKE CHILDRENS BOOKS.I HAD TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO GET THIS LAST BOOK IN THE SEPTIMUS HEAP SERIES BUT IT WAS WELL WORTH THE WAIT.THE STORIES WERE GOOD & ORIGINAL,EACH BOOK MADE YOU WANT TO READ THE NEXT
THEY ARE ACTION PACKED UNLIKE LOTS OF ADULT BOOKS WHEN YOU WADE THROUGH A GOOD PART OF THE BOOK BEFORE THE STORY REALLY
STARTS TO COME TO LIFE.I LIKE CHILDRENS BOOKS BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TO READ ABOUT SEX,VIOLENCE & QUITE UNCALLED FOR SWEAR WORDS.
I DON'T LIKE THE USE OF COMPLICATED LONG MADE UP NAMES FOR PLACES & PEOPLE IN CHILDRENS BOOKS.I PASS ON THE CHILDRENS BOOKS TO
A YOUNG FRIEND IN IRELAND WHO IN TURN PASSES THEM ON TO HER FRIENDS.A GREAT SERIES I WAS SORRY WHEN IT FINISHED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable fantasy from a very talented author, 28 Jan. 2013
Ronnie (Basingstoke, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darke: Septimus Heap Book 6 (Hardcover)
This is another outright winner in the Septimus Heap series. Angie Sage has a remarkable gift of story telling, effortlessly blending humour and thrills into her saga of magic fantasy. Her characters are wonderful and in the opinion of my children and myself outdo totally those of Harry Potter. No earlier volume in the series has been a disappointment and "Darke" maintains this tradition with ease. The characters, plots and settings continue to interweave flawlessly and provide a brilliant read for many ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Septimus Heap, 21 Oct. 2011
actionman023 (Leyland England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darke: Septimus Heap Book 6 (Hardcover)
I really do like reading books that carry on from the last edition and this author does just that, this book is aimed at the 11+ age group so at 61 i think i fit into that, i have all Angie Sage's books in this series and i hope the saga continues, i have not read it yet so i cannot comment on this book but if the other five in the series are anything to go by this will be a must for the Christmas present list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darke, 26 Mar. 2014
Everything good and nothing bad
I enjoyed septimus`

Darke results they were very interesting the one with six

5.0 out of 5 stars Great seies, 21 Feb. 2014
Angie Sage is a great author I would recommend these books about Septimus Heap to all audiences that enjoy a bit of magic in their lives. The story is fast and well written. I couldn't put them down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and imaginative, 18 Jan. 2014
A very well written series have loved every book. Recommended to people who love to use there imagination and are into fantasy stories.

Darke: Septimus Heap Book 6
Darke: Septimus Heap Book 6 by Angie Sage (Hardcover - 3 Oct. 2011)