5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, but dark like dark chocolate
Published on 6 Oct. 2010

Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of this series of books. My six year old loved the first two books, and was delighted when the latest arrived (funnily enough at the same time as the third in the also great Ottoline series by Chris Riddell).

Published on 4 Oct. 2010 by mssmith1

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, but dark like dark chocolate, 6 Oct. 2010
A Kid's Review
I don't agree with the last review. I am 8+ and I really liked this one a lot. There is bullying at school and bad dreams and I think its good when it is in books. But the point is Maddy wins through the dark times with the help of her dear, dear friend Madam Pamplmousse and her cool cat Camembert (he is my favourite). So please don't stop Mister Kingfisher. Kids now are wized up to dark stuff and you make it come right, which is what is great and what stories are for.

PS Rupert Kingfisher came to our school which was great to hear a real live children's writer

3.0 out of 5 stars Too dark for little ones: stick with the first two books in the series, 4 Oct. 2010
mssmith1 "mssmith1" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

On the plus side, it's well written, beautifully presented and nicely illustrated, just as the first two books are. Where it drops points in comparison from the first two books is that it is just too dark for little readers. It deals with bullying and nightmares in quite a bit of detail, along with some fairly unpleasant incidents from one of the character's childhood. Now don't get me wrong, my middle child had already been read Matilda (the Dahl book with some hideous parents and teachers, but done in a very funny way), a couple of Harry Potters, and the Hobbit, so is far from sheltered, but did find parts of this quite frightening.

Reading it aloud, I could see why this was, and the overall tone is pretty dark. It';s still a good read, but I wouldn't plan on revisiting this book in the next couple of years, and it just seems to be aimed at a different type of reader than the first two books (which I would recommend without hesitation).

I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook's favourite cook, 31 Oct. 2010
Perhaps because cooking is in both my name and my family I warmed at once to this clever, well-written series about the famous food specialist Madame Pamplemousse and her intriguing Paris shop of Incredible Edibles. This, the third in the series, sees the young heroine Madeleine beset by school bullies and escaping into the unreliable, seemingly charmed world offered by the obnoxious Madame Bon-Bon. As before my two loved reading of Madeleine's adventures and clamoured for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit dark for younger readers, 7 Sept. 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Madame Pamplemousse and the Enchanted Sweet Shop (Paperback)
We read Madame Pamplemousse's Incredible Edibles and really enjoyed it. This is the third book in the series, and it is a much different prospect from the first volume. The first book is a rather lovely magical adventure story about Madame Pamplemousse's magical deli and her friendship with a young girl called Madeleine.

This book features the same characters, but in a different context. Madame Pamplemousse doesn't make an appearance until nearly two thirds of the way through the book. This is Madeleine's story, and tells of her bullying at school and how she falls into the clutches of an evil sweetshop owner who sends her to an alternative nightmare dimension from which she has to be rescued.

This is rather a dark book and not one I would recommend for younger readers of a nervous disposition. My children enjoyed it, but it is a bit scary. Recommended for sevens and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting for my 8yr old!, 24 Sept. 2012
I had been trying to encourage my 8 yr old daughter to read chapter books but apart from a few Roald Dahl books nothing else seemed to hold her interest for long. Stumbled across the Madame Pamplemousse series and my daughter read the first two books in one week! Have bought the third as a stocking filler for Christmas. She loves the mystery and suspense and beacause we actually live in Paris, France, she can imagine the scenes quite vividly. Just wish there were more in the series! Keep writing Rupert Kingfisher!

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle, truthful and haunting, 28 Jun. 2014
This is the darkest of the series (the plot is kicked off by a chilling trap that, to an adult, reads like a metaphor for drug addiction) but it's my 8 year old daughter's favourite of the series. It warns against caving into convention and robustly defends 'outsiders'. The prose is perfect and the characterisation shrewd - especially the tragic though terrifying villain of the piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 6 Mar. 2011
Mrs. J. L. Ohara (Uk) - See all my reviews
I am 10 years old and I loved reading this book ! I would stay up all night reading and I found it so exciting . The book really showed a true frienship between a young girl and a mysterious looking lady and her cat.I think Rupert Kingfisher should make some more Madame Pamplemousse books ,beacause they`re so great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written but this one is too dark for my 7yo, 14 Feb. 2015
The first 2 books are great, a bit scary but beautifully written, thoroughly enchanting: inspiring and imaginative
This third is dark: drugs, underworlds, bullying and bit of child cruelty.... Some good life lessons but my 7yo found it too scary - I read alone to the end and have saved it for another day

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting book!, 29 Nov. 2013
Bought this for my 9 year old who loved it so much we bought the other two books in the collection. Super story line and wonderful characters. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 6 May 2014
Ruth "Ruth" (Cornwall England) - See all my reviews
my 10 year old granddaughter is a avid reader and really enjoyed this book has did her friend who had recommended it to her , arrived quickly , thank you seller .

Madame Pamplemousse and the Enchanted Sweet Shop
Madame Pamplemousse and the Enchanted Sweet Shop by Rupert Kingfisher (Paperback - 6 Jun. 2011)