5.0 out of 5 stars Curley creates pure magic.
When i first picked up Old Magic, a gift from a friend, I was a little skeptical about reading it. All too many times have I read fiction books about Wicca or Witchcraft and often the lack of realism and accuracy annoys me greatly. Fiction books have long given witchcraft a bad name, so I was somewhat apprehensive.
Once I started to read it, however, I didn't put it...
Published on 18 May 2003 by etherealthrenody

3.0 out of 5 stars Old Magic
Kate is 15 and a trainee witch. Raised by her grandmother, Jillian, who is a true user of 'Old Magic', she can do small things like sensing peoples moods and moving objects, but not a lot else.

Jarrod is also 15 and is new at school, and Kate immediately knows that there is something different about him when she tries to look inside his head and he feels her...
Published on 15 Aug 2010 by Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Curley creates pure magic., 18 May 2003
Once I started to read it, however, I didn't put it down until I had finished it. Curley manages to draw you into Kate and Jarrod's world without having to describe it in depth. And the references to witchcraft are suprisingly accurate, I was amazed in fact at how close to real life a lot of it was.
Whether you believe in magic or not, however, Kate is instantly a character you respect and like, and Jarrod's clumsy side is both funny and adorable. The chemistry between them is apparent, but its done so in such a subtle way you feel as though you are standing right next to the characters, relating to them and sensing the atmosphere first-hand.
The way the story unfolds is clever, the twist at the end being totally unexpected, and the romantic side is so realistic that you are very much pulled right in to the book. The emotions are so heart-felt and true to character, and the way that both Kate and Jarrod get a say makes it work even better.
I would recommend this book to anyone, but be warned, once you pick it up, you won't put it down for hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Curley creates pure magic., 18 May 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotive fantasy adventure that you just can't put down!, 12 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Old Magic (Hardcover)
If you enjoy fantasy adventure then you will love this book. It has everything - magic, romance, time travel, action and history. It's a heart warming story that follows two teenagers, Kate and Jarrod, living in small town Australia. Kate has magic powers and is a social outcast. Jarrod is the new boy in town who is followed by incredible bad luck wherever he goes caused, Kate discovers, by a curse against his family that has its origins in Medieval Britain. Kate and Jarrod are thrown back in time where they have to fight against all odds to stop the curse and save Jarrod's family from destruction. I absolutely loved this book and didn't want it to finish. It is extremely well written, full of excitment and yet very touching. Make sure you read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Ever Read!, 29 July 2005
My Mom bought me this book a few years ago and I just put it on my bookshelf. But the other night I couldn't sleep so I was looking for a boring book to read to put me to sleep, and I picked up "Old Magic." This book was anything but boring! In fact, I got so engulfed in the plot, that I stayed up the whole night just to read it! I didn't let myself sleep until the next morning, when I had finished it!
I was expecting it to be a childrens book, but I'm 17 and thoroughly enjoyed it! The book is beautifully written, in the style of alternate chapters being seen through the eyes of one of the two main characters, Jarrod or Kate.
It left me wanting more! I'm planning to buy Marianne Curley's "Guardians Of Time" trilogy when I get some money.
Read it and see how great it is for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best i've ever read, 5 April 2006
this book is one of those books that you can just read and read again and again. you're always finding something new to keep you interested. the first time i read this book i read it in one sitting, it gripped me from start to finish i couldn't stop for anything as stupid as food when i wanted to know what was going to happen to Jarrod and Kate.
The beginning of the book in modern times is brilliant and really gets you to grips with the characters but it's the switch to the past that keeps you in this books clutches. Trust me you wont put it down.
Dont be put off by the supposed age range for this book, i'm 18 now and still love reading this book, the characters are complex and well thought out. This isn't just some silly fantasy but a real rollercoaster of an emotional journey through their lives. Please pick up and enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Magic, 31 Oct 2002
Aimee (Whitstable, Kent in England) - See all my reviews
This book was litreally out of this world! the mystery that surrounds Jarrods family and the way kate has been brought up around magic. its a spell-binding, romantic book! I think any one who has never bought this book is seriously missing out on a superb read. My friend borrowed it from her friend and after she had read it gave it to me to read saying she reckoned i would enjoy it, did i ever! i read the whole book in like 2-3 days! i just couldent put it down. i think the author gives it a nice touch by not making it to unrealistic and too witchy and that sort of thing, some how she keeps it down to earth and believable and thats what really gives it that awsome touch that hooks you to the story, over all its a fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Inventive plot!, 16 Jan 2007
H. Trend "Artistic Chardon" (Leeds, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Old Magic is an absolutely amazing book, with an inventive storyline of time travel, magic and history. The characters are loveable and you will not be able to put this book down under finished. If you like magic and history and are looking for something different, this IS the book for you.

Also, the suggested age is far from correct. I'm [...] and still love this book after picking it up years ago. The language, writing style, storyline and characters are a long way from being immature or childish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Magic, 24 Aug 2004
this book has two main characters kate and jarrod whos emotions keep getting entangled.every heart stopping event in this story gets you more enswirled in the fantastic plot and the gripping drama.this book is truly the best book i have ever read.I felt that i was inside the story.Living it.Standing side by side with the characters.experiencing their bravery and loyalty.Totally unmissable.marianne curley i am your fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 4 Jun 2002
By A Customer
Marianne Curley creates an unusual book from the start. She uses an effect which isn't used that often, changing the perspective every chapter. The book is all about Jarrod and Kate. Jarrod is the new boy at school and Kate is the social outcast. But that isn't all, Jarrods family is cursed and only Kate and her Grandmother Gillian can help him. A original down to earth time travel book by a new and refreshing author. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite an interesting read..., 9 Nov 2006
A. Masood "SugarPixie" (England) - See all my reviews
The book mainly focuses on Kate and jarrod's relationship and how Kate is into magic whereas Jarrod isn't as imaginative. The book is a great read which includes time-travel, adventure and a bit of romance as well as dealing with the society of teens at school. I thoroughly enjoyed the book although there are darker references in the book if the meanings are explored deeper the book is still an innocent and enchanting read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Old Magic
Old Magic by Marianne Curley (Paperback - 7 Dec 2009)
6.99