It's 1854 and Edgy Taylor's an orphan who collects dog muck for use at Mr Talon's tannery. Although Talon has given Edgy a home, he also beats him and constantly sets him riddles to learn. Worse, Edgy sometimes sees Talon as being a demon with huge horns and red skin, but has learnt not to tell anyone in case they think he's mad.

One night when Edgy believes...
Published on 17 Feb 2011 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother
I thought I was reading a childrens book. Deleted it after reading just one chapter. It has put me off this author - sorry
Published 21 months ago by Leslie Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another deliciously dark and wryly humorous historical fantasy adventure, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Demon Collector (Hardcover)

One night when Edgy believes that Talon is about to kill him, he's rescued by an old man with a strange weapon that turns Talon into stone. The man, Mr Janus, takes Edgy and his dog, Henry, to the Royal Society of Daemonologie where Edgy discovers that not only are demons real, but Mr Janus is on a quest to find one of the most feared - Moloch, the demon who defeated Satan and wants to start a war with heaven. Soon Edgy finds himself in a deadly game of riddles and mayhem where his own life is at risk ...

A companion novel to the critically acclaimed MORTLOCK, there's some overlap of minor characters from MORTLOCK but this is very much a stand-alone story.

It's easy to root for the intrepid Edgy. Lonely and unloved, he hasn't known much kindness, which makes his gratitude to Mr Janus so understandable and while he's quick-witted and hard working, he's also capable of weakness and selfishness. This humanity makes him very believable. His relationship with his dog, Henry is well portrayed and I love the way the dog constantly tries to defend him.

The real stars of the book though are the demons that Edgy encounters. My favourite was Slouch, a demon of sloth who's supposed to be the Society's butler but who really can't be bothered. The idea of linking demons to sins is well executed and I particularly liked the fact that gradually they all succumb to the sins they seek to promulgate and become mortal.

Mayhew once again incorporates traditional folk song lyrics and proverbs into the text, which give the story both an added sense of the macabre and ground it in English tradition. The story's filled with twists and turns and although there's a lot of death and mayhem, Mayhew also packs in a lot of dry humour. It's slightly slow to get going, but once it hits its stride it kept me gripped until the end. More please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and Quirky Kids Fantasy, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Demon Collector (Hardcover)
The Demon Collector is a wonderful gothic fantasy with equal pinches of mystery, humour and biblical epic leant to the plot. The characters are warm and easy to like, making the reader much more sympathetic to their plight. The story goes from curious clue-tracking mystery to epic voyage in a brilliantly twisting way.

Read more at: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Come to the Darkside, we don't just have cookies, we have Mayhew., 4 Mar 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Demon Collector (Hardcover)
Having read and loved Jon's original outing, Mortlock, I really couldn't wait to get my hands on this title as after completing this, I can easily say that he's fast setting himself up as an author to not only watch but set standards by. What he weaves into his tales will hopefully take the YA genre in much the same way as RL Stine did with his Goosebump series in the 90's. The writing is fresh, the characters outstanding and when you add into it a murky world of shadowy figures who double deal with the demons and allow their own lusts to control their fates, makes it a difficult title to put down.

All in this was an absolute delight to read and will more than likely make my top ten YA reads this year which made this a real gem of a find and one that I will enjoy a few more times before allowing my nephews anywhere near. That said, I would perhaps recommend reading this prior to letting your young reader get their hands on it as some of the issues raised may well need to be talked through but for a good scare as well as high octane thrills you really won't do better. Come to the Darkside, we don't just have cookies, we have Mayhew.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Demon Collector by John Mayhew, 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Demon Collector (Paperback)
A very good and imaginative book. A fantastic blend of action, horror and wicked suspense. It sets the story in a real place -London- and thus adds a more realistic side to a fantastical story. The author has attempted at the hard job of making a book which covers a few genres and has passed with flying colours. 10 OUT OF 10!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirk Tale, 29 Nov 2012
Lindsay R. Bayne (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This was a 'by chance' kindle book, but an enjoyable diversion - albeit with some unlikely jumps, but then it was in a time of mystery and magic! It was short, and left me wanting more - that's good! - hence the rating. I'd recommend it, ideal for a short time interlude - like long haul air trip: very absorbing and easy to picture the scenes - along with the quirky idea that even Satan might have a good streak!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Demon Collector (Paperback)
Book as described and quick delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bothered that I waited so long to start reading, 9 May 2011
G. Williams "purplegaily" (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demon Collector (Hardcover)
I actually got my copy of The Demon Collector at a release signing in Formby. (apologies John for my twins causing general chaos while you were trying to speak) My sin was waiting nearly 6 weeks to read it!!

I enjoyed romping through the demon underbelly of London with Edgy and Henry, and although the ending was well built up and satisfying, I was disappointed when the book finished. The pace is fast, the charatcers as believable as you'll get without knowing any demons personally, and the only fault I can find with this book is that in the same way as Mortlock, the end is a little too complete.

Without spoiling anything, we are unlikely to see a sequel involving Edgy - which is a shame, as I was getitng quite attached to him!!!

John Mayhew writes a good book, painting a good picture of the era, and the poeple in it. You can see the characters vividly in your mind and almost smell how bad Edgy has it at the start of the book - thank you Mr Janus for rescuing us all from that when you did !!

Roll on book 3.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 1 Dec 2012

The Demon Collector
The Demon Collector by Jon Mayhew (Hardcover - 7 Mar 2011)