5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable
Published on 18 Jun. 2010 by Matthew's Mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best D.E. Stevenson
I love D.E. Stevenson and have all of her books. The Mrs Tim books are okay, but I prefer most of her others. Perhaps it's the diary style - though I have read other books in the diary format that I like more - and there are one or two really funny moments - but I am surprised that they have chosen to reprint this instead of certain others.
Published on 20 Mar. 2011 by S. Milburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 18 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
I don't often review things, but have just finished this book and loved it. So pleased it was revived for re-publication. Yes its showing its age a little, but I thought it was lovely. Interesting to read something that is 'historical' but written at the time rather than a modern take on it. Bits I found fascinating were thinking a house was too large to manage with 'just' two maids (and a cook, and a governess). And the fact that the children don't feature much in the story, because they are cared for by the governess all day (or away at boarding school). A different time, but a lovely account of it, and I liked that it was based on a genuine diary. I'll be buying the rest of the Bloomsbury books, buying this as a gift for friends, and trying to find her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, 10 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
I'm on a bit of a DE Stevenson crusade at the moment, having only recently 'discovered' her writing. So far, I think Miss Buncle's Book is my favourite but Mrs Tim of the Regiment is a close second and I am looking forward to reading the subsequent Mrs Tim books - if I can find them!
This one, based, apparently, on D E Stevenson's own diary of her life as an army officer's wife is a lovely read and highly entertaining. She has a very acute eye for people's character traits and all their little foibles. Not a great deal happens in this in terms of plot but the characters are so wonderful it is a delight reading about them - a bit like eavesdropping on several people's lives. I do hope publishers waken up to the fact D E Stevenson has a legion of fans who snap up re-prints of her books. Reviewed by Mary Smith author of No More Mulberries

5.0 out of 5 stars Pre-war charm, 1 April 2010
Betty Haniotaki (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
This book has been out of print for many years, although it can be found used for quite high prices. I found it very charming, both for the charm of the heroine (based on the life of the author) and the feeling of the pre-WW2 life of an army officer's wife. The book is a series of vignettes of the period, connected or isolated. The book was re-issued recently by Bloomsbury publishers. There are three more in the series - I hope they will all be reissued. One warning: the title varies from edition to edition. I recently bought an audio book entitled "Golden Days" which, although described as "unabridged" was in fact the second part of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly charming, 23 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
If you like The Diary of a Provincial Lady (Virago Modern Classics) I bet you'll love this. Based on DE Stevenson's own diaries as a regimental wife it has that same innocent charm - and common ground in its celebration of domestic trivia for married women of all generations.
There are parallels between the two books: so while the provincial lady agonises about the lady of the manor's put downs about her hyacinth bulbs, and gossips with the vicar's wife, the regimental lady worries about putting the colonel's wife's nose out of joint and makes friends with the "regimental bride" (shades of Amelia Sedley in Vanity Fair). But the differences between the two (and from modern life) are fascinating - the regimental wife is regularly looking for new staff and accomodation in strange towns as her husband is shifted around at short notice and is trying to make her way in new social groups where the provincial ladies often say its not worth being friends as she'll be off again in a few years.
And it has that "past is another country" charm;as another reviewer notes, it is slightly bizare to the modern reader to see a strapped for cash captain's wife with a maid, a nanny and a cook! Also modern mothers really would consider Mrs Tim apallingly hands off - her holiday is largely spent on jolly jaunts with adult friends while others take care of her little girl (the slightly older boy - 8 ish?) is at boarding school, of course; and when the spectre of an Indian posting looms, Mrs Tim would have parked her youngest in boarding school like a shot ...
For all its differences and strangenesses however, it is primarily a comfortable happy book - focussing on the little pleasures of the domestic life and friendship. A pleasure to read. Now, off to find the sequels ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Innocent pleasures, 7 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
I bought this book with some reservations, imagining an account of mindless social occasions, dated language and stiff dialogue. I was laughing by the second page, and couldn't put the book down. What a beatifully, honestly written reflection of a life-style which is still the same in many ways for wives of more junior officers.
The author has a mischievious whit, informing us that Bryan, her son, tried to say "Butter" with his mouth full leading to "disastrous results". The agonies of sending her son to boarding school and having to borrow china from her nieghbours for meals with other officers makes Hester feel human and lovable, but with a determined, unflappable core.
Cherish each line you read; a treat as rare as this comes along very infrequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars A diary of an army officer's wife, fun & still contemporary, 19 July 1997
By A Customer
The book about Mrs.Tim is still fun and reads like a contemporary diary even 60 some years after its original publication in Great Britain. Its almost comforting to know that even though times change, people do not. I discovered this book when I was a teenager and still enjoy Mrs. Tim's (actually D.E. Stevenson's) wit and wisdom today.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves....., 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
The Bloomsbury Group are republishing books "worth re-reading", and having read and much enjoyed the oddity that is Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker, from the same publisher, I was looking forward to reading this. D E Stevenson is the author of Miss Buncle's Book - a Persephone re-publication, about a woman who writes a book which describes, under other names, all the characters in the village she has moved into, writing under a man's name for secrecy. I enjoyed Miss Buncle's Book a lot, and started on this with anticipation.

I can't say that I didn't like it, but I found it a book of two halves. It's written in the form of diary entries which is a style I like if done well. Mrs Tim is an officer's wife, with two children, who like true army wives in the 1930s, has to move at the behest of the Army - wherever the Major is sent, Mrs Tim must follow. And so, whilst liking her current home and the area very much, she is rather disappointed when Tim announces that he has a new posting, and it will be for three years in a very small town in Scotland. Some of the diary entries are very short, and some rather longer, but she has a wonderful shorthand way of talking to her diary, which made for an amusing read..........until half way through the book. And then, suddenly, the diary style became a different thing altogether, when she was invited to spend some time at the holiday home of an interesting woman she met when she first went to Scotland. It then became much more ordinary to me and although chapter headings were still diary dates, the month of June was stretched out and the style was entirely different. It seemed that the book had been laid aside and then finished perhaps some years later - and even by someone else! I think that is not the case. I think it was intentional - but it took the shine off it for me. She did, in fact, write 4 Mrs Tim novels which at their publication were all very popular, and indeed, D E Stevenson based all these on her own diary, she being an Army wife.

Please don't let me put you off. Indeed, I would be pleased to see comments from anyone else who has read or who reads this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Charming, 10 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
Most women reading this novel will identify with Mrs Tim. She tries so hard to be a good wife and mother as well as a good 'army' wife. Even when her husband is posted away from the regiment, so she has to go with him and leave her friends behind, she does her best in a small town in Scotland.

The writing style is very reminiscent of The Diary of a Provincial Lady and possesses a similar charm even if it isn't as funny. It's still amusing, though. I'd thoroughly recommend this books as a quiet, interesting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly charming, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
Retreating from the rain with this book, I didn't expect to read the entire story in one sitting but I found myself so charmed by all the characters in Mrs Tim's life that I was compelled to continue to the end. It's very funny in places, touching, and with such vivid characters I felt sorry to be leaving them behind when the book ended.
I have discovered to my distress that the others in the series are hard to obtain and rather expensive when available, so here's hoping for a re-issue.
In striving to always have new things I don't re-read books that often, but finding myself strangely bereft, I will be asking for Mrs Tim of the Regiment for my birthday...if I can wait that long. (4 weeks or so!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to see the old authors back in print., 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) (Paperback)
I remember reading D.E. Stevenson's books in my teens and I loved them so it is good to see them back in
print. I don't have a kindle and don't particularly want one so to see that they are printing the books too
is a bonus. I do hope they print a lot more and not just for Kindle users. I have bought books from Aphrohead before
and they have always given a good service so I shall continue to do so where possible.

Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group)
Mrs Tim of the Regiment (The Bloomsbury Group) by D. E. Stevenson (Paperback - 2 Nov. 2009)