5.0 out of 5 stars The Drake Family are the new Cullens!
What can I say!!! I enjoyed this book soooo much that I could not put it down!!!

Published on 16 Jun 2010 by Ms. C. A. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars A fluffy, quick read
My Love Lies Bleeding is also known as "Hearts At Stake". I have no idea why they have different US and UK titles.

Published on 15 April 2010 by Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf

5.0 out of 5 stars The Drake Family are the new Cullens!, 16 Jun 2010
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles) (Paperback)

The story is about a girl called Solange who has 7 brothers and she is the only girl to be born a vampire for centuries. There are of course girls that have been turned vampires but none apart from Solange, who was born one. This of course means that she is special in the eye of all male vampires who want to have her for themselves. This sets up the scene for her over protective brothers who try to look after her and keep her safe, in particular brother Nicholas who is the most over protective of them all. There is also Solanges' best friend called Lucy who is a human and has been friends with Solange since they were young and is like another member of the family.

But it is clear as Solange approaches her 16th birthday which marks her blood change (when she will start to drink blood) looming and it is scaring everyone including best friend Lucy who is the complete opposite of Solange because sometimes you don't survive the change... There is also a prophecy that states that a born girl vampire in the Drake family will be the rightful Queen but the vampires have a queen already who is not exactly pleased about this...Solange doesn't want to be queen but that may not be enough...

I really liked that the chapters were split between Solange and Lucy creating a dual narrative and I also loved Lucy and Nicholas and their love/hate relationship and I loved all the revelations and unexpected moments and by the same token that of Solange and Keirian too. It's clear we have a new contender to our Mr.Cullen!!! I also like some of the Disney references which juxtaposed against the nature of the vampire such as Solange being so pale and black haired like Snow White, and her 7 brothers which is like the 7 dwarfs, and there is even a reference to Sleeping Beauty later on in the book. I thought it was really nice, and really creative touch to it all!

The ending is lovely and concludes but at the same time leaves it open for the next book which is called Blood Feud and comes out on the 28th of June! I can't wait to see where Harvey takes the story next!

Cassandra220689

3.0 out of 5 stars A fluffy, quick read, 15 April 2010
Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles) (Paperback)

This book reminds me of Lynsay Sands' Argeneau Vampires Series, which is totally hilarious, by the way. First in the Drake Chronicles, this book revolves mostly around the plight and love lives of best friends Solange and Lucy. In one word, I'd say this book felt condensed.

Let me elaborate. At 256 pages, it attempted to introduce its readers to a vampire mythology, complete with its geneaology, politics and history. It also features an unlikely romance that made me giggle and thrilling chase. It was a quick, very fluffy read, but there was not much I could have gathered from it. I felt it was rather short, and hence not much detail was incorporated into the book. The details that managed to stay were passable, and I wanted so much more. This also applies to characterisations - they were quite a few secondary characters that could have been developed more, although they are not directly pivotal to the plot. I loved the Drakes and would have appreciate hearing more of each.

My Love Lies Bleeding is told in Lucy's and Solange's perspectives. At the beginning I found it difficult to differentiate between their voices - they seemed to be too similiar, almost blending in to be merely an extension of one another. This affected the characterisation and it was not until later that I was able to personify Lucy and Solange as two different characters. I also failed to grasp the necessity of having the plot told from two differing point of views. However, this proved useful as the plot progresses especially when they part ways. Afterwhich of course, I begin to enjoy Lucy's fierceness and Solange's kindheartedness.

I enjoyed the romance hugely. From the very beginning I knew it will not disappoint, and it sure did not, at least for Lucy and Nicholas. I found Nicholas to be a swoony, manly man vampire, with the perfect history and attraction to fierce little Lucy. His reactions and approaches to her is really really cute! However though I found Lucy and Nicholas' romance well supported and is one of my favourite kind (honestly, I giggled a lot), Kieran and Solange's I found slightly rushed and less enjoyable than the former. However, overall I really did enjoy the witty banter that moulds the romance of this book.

The tension is present in the plot, but I did not quite find it exciting. It was enough to keep me reading but not intensified enough to make me flip through the pages as quick as I could. The vampire mythology and history, including its very realistic politics are a good setting stone, but I felt it was slightly lacking.

I wanted so much more from this novel, but as it stands, it still is a wonderful, romantic read with a hint of adventure and thrill. A good weekend read.

I am quite excited for Blood Feud - the next in the chronicles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Vampire Love Story, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles) (Paperback)
Solange Drake is soon going to become a vampire on her 16th birthday; this causes problems as she has been prophesied to become the next queen. With help from her best friend Lucy her Brother Nick and her potential enemy Kieran Black, they have to help fight against those who want to either harm or use her.

I really love this book as it has a great mix of romance, humour, suspense and while it is a light and fluffy read, it is a perfect holiday book or if you want to feel like you did as a child watching fairy tales.

It is told from the points of view of both Solange and Lucy, but while this can sometimes cause confusion, Solange and Lucy are totally different characters and tell their story differently. While both girls are strong and loyal they do it in totally different ways with Solange being quieter and introvert, while Lucy is louder and would do anything to defend those she loves (especially breaking peoples noses).

The Drake brothers are amazing and you feel they all have a different personality and you can distinguish between them. I especially like Nick, who does not love a bad boy with a heart of gold, and Connor, but that's because we are both geeks. What I really like about this series so far is that there is not a love triangle, which it seems almost every other YA paranormal has to have so thank you Harvey.

SPOILER

I only noticed this after reading it a few times but I think Alyxandra Harvey has been influenced by Snow White with this book because Solange attracts not birds and wildlife creatures but blood thirsty vampires; she has 7 over protective brothers and finally the "Huntsman" Kieran gives a deer's heart to the evil queen. I am not sure if it was intentional but it is a nice twist on the traditional fairy tale.

SPOILER END

I would recommend this book to anyone who like light YA paranormal books, or just books which leave you feeling that all is right in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing beginning, 31 Oct 2010
Toni Harness "Raven Reader" (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles) (Paperback)
With Solange soon to become a vampire, and dreading craving blood more than anything along with having to deal with other vampires craving her life becomes even more dangerous for the Drake family.

The book is the first in the Drake Chronicles, and it is a fantastic way to spark off interest in a new saga of vampire books. Whilst Solange is the main focus in a way, so are her brother Nicholas and her best friend, a human, Lucy.

Harvey is an amazing author with the power to draw you in to all of the characters. I didn't expect to enjoy this book half as much as I did, but I couldn't put it down and went straight on to the next in the series. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves the dark genre and enjoys Meyer/Black/Noel/Smith. I only hope this book gets the praise it deserves.

4.0 out of 5 stars My love lies bleeding, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles) (Paperback)
I had no expectations for this novel whatsoever and I will admit I bought it on a whim. I am so glad I did. It was so much fun that I read it in one sitting. I loved the dual narrative and as I've said in previous reviews this has fast become one of my favourite styles of writing. Here it is done really well as Lucy and Solange feel like distinct characters and it would be obvious who is narrating even if it was not indicated at the beginning of each chapter. Lucy is an awesome character - so much wit and sass - and I loved her interactions with the Drake family. Solange is also very likable as someone stuck in the middle of an ancient prophecy that she doesn't want. And Nicholas is HOT! For me the romantic parts of the story are the books strength, although the action was great too.

I've read some negative reviews for this - some have sited not enough depth or a contrived plot - but if this is the case it didn't bother me at all. My only quibble would be the ending felt too abrupt. I would have like a bit more closure but I expect this is due to there being a sequel later in the year.

As you've probably guessed I really enjoyed this and would recommend it to readers who fancy a quick read . I would describe it as a chick-lit paranormal romance that kicks some butt! I loved the world and characters and look forward to spending more time with the Drakes in future instalments. Especially if there is more Nicholas:)

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 15 Mar 2014
Ms J. P. Squire "Triquetra Babe" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles) (Paperback)
a fantastic book in the series, I have the whole series & am an avid collector/ reader, I will continue to read these as long as I have eyes in my head!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 18 Feb 2014
This book was fab for older readers. I was hooked through the whole thing! Alyxandra Harvey is an amazing writer and is perfect for readers 13+ I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !, 5 Oct 2013
I loved this book and could not put it down! Can not wait to read the next one! An unexpected find!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 5 Mar 2013
My love lies bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey is a really good book. I guess I'm not sure why I gave it for stars instead of five, exactly, but maybe I didn't enjoy it enough for five.

This is a vampire novel surrounding the Drake family. They are a family who are not turned, but it in their blood to change on their sixteenth birthday. Solange is the first female born to the Drake family, and a female vampire who goes through the bloodchange instead of being turned is extremely rare. There was a prophecy written that the first female would become the vampire queen, so the current queen, Lady Natasha, puts a bounty on her. Lucy is Solange's best friend, and also a human. She practically grew up with the Drake's. The story goes through the different types of vampires, and there are traitors, helpers, and many more. Awesome book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Take on the Typical YA Vampire Tale, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles) (Paperback)
A fast read with almost zero teen angst - a most welcome change in the YA vampire genre.

Told from the perspectives of sixteen year old human, Lucy, and her best pal and soon-to-be vampire, Solange, My Love Lies Bleeding offers a new take on the typical YA vampire tale.

Solange's parents and brothers are all vampires, and on her sixteenth birthday, she too will begin the transformation into supernatural creature. Current problem? Solange smells delicious to male vampires, and many of them want to make vampire babies with her - never mind the fact she's only fifteen and unwilling to be a total stranger's baby making machine. Her best friend is the feisty and fearless Lucy. They've been friends since they were kids and have always had each other's back.

I loved Lucy and preferred the chapters told from her point of view. She's funny, stubborn, a little reckless and just plain entertaining to spend time with. She thinks of Nicholas as Solange's stupid big brother. Nicholas likewise views Lucy as his sister's annoying friend. We all know how that goes. Nicholas' and Lucy's bickering is interrupted by a few kisses here and there, but there is absolutely no angsty romance as I mentioned earlier. Now I love intense romances as much as the next gal (Twilight is after all one of my favourite books to read over and over. Judge me all you want for that ;) ). But it's nice every now and again to read about a budding romance that's just fun.

Anyway, back to the story. Solange grows weaker by the day as her birthday looms. The gifts from hopeful suitors pile up, annoying the hell out of her and her family. Even the creepy older Montmartre, some vampire Lord or Prince or something, wants her. The vampire queen, Lady Natasha, is none too happy about the attention Solange is receiving. There's a bounty on Solange's head. If someone doesn't want her for their wife, someone else wants her heart, literally. It's fighting time, and no one's letting her go without a good battle.

A very enjoyable, mostly lighthearted tale, if you don't think too much about the grossness of Solange's young age and the fact that male vamps the world over want to possess her body and soul. It's short enough to read in one sitting for any YA vampire story enthusiasts. I think this book had another title originally, Hearts at Stake, or maybe that's the US version. I'm glad I stumbled upon this in a bookshop in town.

My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles)
My Love Lies Bleeding (The Drake Chronicles) by Alyxandra Harvey (Paperback - 4 Jan 2010)
5.96