5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book - cheap and easy AND delicious
I have two other Fuchsia Dunlop books (Sichuan cookery and Shark's fin and Sichuan pepper) they are very good. The Sichuan cookery is great, but really was lacking on the presentation side (very few pictures and recipes that often go over a few pages - meaning you flip back to the amounts and instructions - annoying!)

This book however is brilliant. 90% of the...
Published on 18 Jun 2012 by darkfrankhs

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
ithe book was alright but i thought some of the recipes were a bit out the ordinary
Published 6 days ago by Mr. Robert Malcolm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book - cheap and easy AND delicious, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking (Hardcover)

This book however is brilliant. 90% of the recipes have a picture. All are contained on one page. The best thing though is that these are easy to cook recipes, mostly with easy to get ingredients. The harder ingredients can be found in Chinese Supermarkets (I use the ones on Gerrard St - London)

What has been a complete revelation is the money we are saving cooking from this book. Vegetables can be the mainstay with small amounts of meat being complementary. We've started eating loads of tofu as well - which isn't expensive either - and much tastier when treated with Fuchsia Dunlop's recipes. We managed to eat like kings for a week on about 30. Very pleasing! We weren't even trying to save money.

Really delicious easy recipes that are easy on your wallet as well as on your tastebuds.

I recommend the Steamed egg and the Sour and Hot tofu -both are really cheap. Really easy. REALLY TASTY!

5.0 out of 5 stars When's the next one out?!, 1 July 2012
GEH (York, UK) - See all my reviews
I lived in Hangzhou, China for a year, completely fell in love with the food, then got back to England and remembered I could only cook spaghetti bolognese. But then I bought Sichuan Cookery and 9 months on almost exclusively cook Chinese food.

I've been excited about getting Every Grain of Rice since I pre-ordered it in April and have not been disappointed! First thing that jumped out was the amount of images compared to the previous two books. The vast majority of recipes are pictured and so it would probably be the best place to start for those new to Fuchsia's books and/or Chinese cooking.

For those who already own some of Fuchsia's books, some recipes are repeated (e.g. Twice-cooked pork) but there are more than enough new ones or different versions to make this book worth getting as well.

The recipes are split into:

> cold dishes
> soups
> rice
> noodles
> dumplings

As with all her books she explains and gives advice on ingredients, but new to this one is the various pictures of jars/packets that they come in which helps the search in Asian supermarkets.

I was also thrilled with the amount of vegetable recipes, as for me one of the best things about Chinese food is the way vegetables are put at the forefront, with meat often just providing the flavouring. Authentic Chinese food is quick, cheap and healthy and Fuchsia has taught me how to make it. Now all I want to know is, when's the next one out?!

UPDATE EDIT 11/10/2013 - I still use this book every week. Current regulars are 'Twice-cooked swiss chard' (which works well with choy sum or pak choi as well) and 'Hangzhou aubergines'. Yum!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 3 Aug 2012
This is a beautiful book. Previous Chinese cookery books I've bought have advised buying ingredients that I wound up throwing out because there were no recipes included for them. Last weekend I cooked 3 recipes from this book, and managed to use 3 of those ingredients I'd previously had to throw away. And they were delicious. There's a nice mix of recipes for quick and simple weekday meals as well as things you would be proud to serve for weekend dinner guests. Vegetables, bean curd, and salads are given some prominence, and you could easily serve a menu that is meaty, or one that is almost vegetarian, or a full vegetarian menu, from this book. Plenty of advice for using leftovers too - cooked chicken, twice cooked pork, red cooked pork, all great as noodle toppings, and you can easily add some veggies to that for a one dish, weekday meal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another must have for any Chinese cookery enthusiast, 16 July 2012
J. Donegan "Pindoctor" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Fuchsia Dunlop is easily my favourite writer of cookbooks at the moment, and Every Grain of Rice is an excellent addition to her canon.

What I particularly like is the way that she's not afraid to include the sorts of simple home recipe that real people eat, rather than feeling obliged to only include fussy dinner party dishes, which is a trap many other authors fall into.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there's lots of simple vegetable dishes included. Don't be deceived by their simplicity into thinking they don't taste nice - they do, particularly in the context of a shared meal with a number of varied dishes (ie if you eat Chinese style). Some of these will have a bit of meat to boost the flavour, but many don't and the author usually provides alternative methods for those who don't want to eat meat.

If this is the first Fuchsia Dunlop book you've bought, consider this a Five Star review. If you've already bought her Sichuan Cooking and/or The Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, you will recognise quite a few of the recipes from the earlier works. They're great recipes, no question about it, but I would have given a higher rating to a book containing entirely new material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful flavours!, 28 April 2013
I bought this book a couple of months ago but wanted to wait till I had road tested a few recipes before I wrote the review. But right from the start I fell in love with this book - the thoughtful advice and guidance about ingredients and equipment as as well as the attractive layout and pictures. I am an expat working in Beijing and this book has been so helpful. The recipes are straightforward enough to be easily followed, and often there are suggested adaptations. Having the names of ingredients and the photos in the glossary has really helped me in the market to get exactly what I want, as my mandarin pronunciation is truly shocking. So far everything I have made form the book has been very tasty - even my Chinese colleagues at work have been impressed with some of my efforts (but they are also very polite....). If you're looking to get started in Chinese cooking then I'd recommend this book without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling food, clear recipes, terrific range, 2 Sep 2012
We just returned from a 3-week holiday in China, including Chengdu, and my wife got me this to help me keep the flame alive under the wok (sorry for that). I was a teacher in China 20 years ago and loved the food, but never quite got round to making the food a mainstay of life at home - until now.

Shaping the book around the way people cook on an everyday basis at home and in regular neighbourhood restaurants really works for me. Once you have the core set of Chinese-specific ingredients and equipment, shopping for veggies and other everyday ingredients and cooking like this several times a week.

The presentation is sumptuous but faithful to the food as it really turns out, the writing is what you would expect from a regular columnist. I read it through the first time for pleasure, then got cooking. I recommend this as a one volume to Southern Chinese food you will really cook and enjoy on a regular basis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cook book, some legibility issues, 12 Jun 2013
This cook book is excellent

The instructions are clear, and the sections on ingredients and preparation are a real help. The food produced is delicious

I have Fuchsia Dunlop's previous books and like them, but this is the one for daily use.

However I do feel she has been let down by her book designer/publisher; the index is not very good to start with - I can see no logic to most of it; some dishes are listed by title, some by main ingredient and some apparently not at all, or perhaps by a third key - but that's in as far as I can read it; the choice of font and the low contrast makes it poorly legible.

The technical parts, actual recipes and instructions, are well laid out and easy to read, but I will never know what the introductions to each section say, as they appear to have been printed on cheap wrapping paper, and I literally cannot read the text against the dark, patterned, backgrounds. Perhaps the usual legibility standards could be applied to her next book (which I look forward to)?

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative, 21 Jan 2013
Ian Hoare "Ianinfrance" (Forges, 19, France) - See all my reviews
I was given this book for Christmas, though I have to admit to having dropped some broad hints, after reading a couple of Ms Dunlop's other books. We've done a fair amount of Chinese cooking, though in other books, there was always a slight worry as to what was meant, or as to quantities.

Not so with this one. The recipes are very simple in the main, Fuschia Dunlop is at pains to point out in many of them that they are typical of what would be cooked at home by many ordinary chinese families. She explains her recipes and techniques with admirable clarity, no doubt the fruit of her studies at a Chinese cookery school. Therte are appendices with photographs of many of the vegetables and other ingredients, and suggestions for substitutions and variations.

We've got a number of other Chinese Cookbooks and as I said, have done a many recipes from them. but this one knocks them all into a cocked hat. Simply magnificent. Since Christmas we've made a number of meals based on her suggestions, and have cooked at least ten of the dishes she describes. Every single one has looked almost exactly as shown in her illustrations and tasted wonderful.

Best of all, from our point of view, a lot of the dishes originate from Sichuan and as such are full of zing. That could possibly be the only drawback for some people who find powerful flavours discouraging. If you've never tried Chinese food, this is a wonderful introduction, if you have, this book could well open your eyes and tastebuds to a completely different perspective on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Chinese made accessible, 18 Aug 2012
Yet again, another fabulous book from Fuchsia Dunlop! She explains the techniques, ingredients and kitchen kit in detail and gives useful substitutions for harder to find ingredients. Most ingredients are fairly easy to come by in Chinese supermarkets and living in London, I am lucky to be close to Chinatown to search out the more obscure, but I can imagine in smaller towns, readers may struggle to come by things such as preserved tofu and winter melon.

The book is sectioned out into different dishes, such as cold, tofu, meat, fish and various types of vegetables which makes it easy to create a balanced Chinese menu. The amount of recipes in the book is great and a good amount of them have variations, giving even more scope for a wider menu. It's one of those books that is easy to get lost in, with a flowing writing style, background information to the dishes and an insight into culinary China.

I highly recommend this book, as well as her others, curl up on the sofa with a cuppa and get lost in the amazing world of Chinese food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good as always, 16 July 2012
I am a big fan of Fuschia Dunlop's cookbooks since they are easy to follow and the end result almost always comes out (a) as expected (b) tasting like the real thing.

The only negative comment about this book is the overlap between this and previous Sichuan and Hunan specific books. I would have preferred a book full of completely new recipes since there are certainly enough Chinese dishes from other provinces to have made this a complement to previous books.

From value perspective the book is amazing value, nice quality, lots of photos and interesting to read alongside the recipes!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking by Fuchsia Dunlop (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2012)
20.00