on 13 March 2010
Blumenthal does it again. What I found best about it is that it is not a simple recipe book, but an in-depth research into how to make perfect food. The stories are well written and the recipes detailed in a manner one expects from Heston Blumenthal. It is also good to know the book features basic food recipes, like roast chicken and spaghetti bolognese, and not some fancy stuff you+d find in a three Michelin star restaurant.

It needs to be noted that the recipes are by far not simple. Most of them require several days of preparation, but after trying out a fews of them - the effort is well worth it.
on 3 January 2010
This is excellent reading. Heston provides a good insight into the chemistry of cooking. For instance, did you ever think that the heat generated when you whizz something in a food processor starts to cook it? In fact, did you ever think there was any heat being generated at all?

You don't need to have seen the TV series to fully appreciate this book. Whilst you might not cook the (limited) recipes in the way Heston suggests ... 18 hours at 50C for a rib of beef (plus four hours resting) and that's before you pan-fry it ... you will still end up knowing more about how to work towards "perfection" in your own cooking.

I really have to set time aside to construct the BFG!
on 18 September 2011
This is a brilliant book for any one interested in cooking,the origin of certain dishes,and the execuition of them.You need on average 12 hours to cook some of them,but the sheer brilliance of the man is an inspiration.A page turner!
on 27 July 2010
Bought this book for my husband who wanted to use a specific recipie for banana parfait (part of his baked alaska) It is certainly a book for foodies the recipies are very complicated , good for my husband as he likes that sort of cooking but useless for me as I need more simple recipies
on 5 October 2013
I bought this product specifically for the chapter on burgers as I had seen the original TV series and was keen to see what other suggestions he would have. This book accompanies the show and describes the filming and his experiences as he goes on his search for perfection. The stories are interesting and informative, however I was a little disappointed that there wasn't much more of a collection of knowledge and comparison of the burgers he tasted. At the end of the chapter there is his perfect burger recipe, but no variations. Ok, I have only read that one section and maybe burgers aren't the most interesting subject in this book, but I felt it was lacking a little in the detail. I like the science element to his cooking and I didn't see too much of it this time around. What is also to note, although it doesn't bother me too much, is that it is a rather large paper back book and looks very drab with its black, white and grey colouring and doesn't really inspire you to pick up and read it. I would recommend this book to people who are more interested in Heston's journey rather than the food and science inside it.
on 28 November 2013
A professional is always interesting for his experience as well as for his recipies. for reach the success. When the operational setting is kitchen the interest combines with the pleasure of discovering new combinations and new ideas that we can copy tel quel
on 20 September 2013
This isn't your normal cook book/recipe book. There is quite a bit of leafing through Hestons exploits in traveling around whilst compiling his knowledge of these recipes. The book is approx 6cm thick and 5.9cm is Hestons diary. Not quite what I what I expected or wanted.
on 2 July 2009
The recipes are those included in In Search of Perfection and Further Adventures in Search of Perfection; I am assuming this is one book merging the two volumes though it is unclear if anything will be changed. Well worth getting if you do not have the other two books though.
on 14 November 2013
I love Heston though i think he's nuts. This book is great if you also have the accompanying video so you can see what he does, not just read about it as I find some of the instructions lacking a bit. Still I love it!
on 26 March 2014
Nice recipes but its a shame its not particularly user friendly, there are hardly any photos in it, and the writing is really small! but he does have some smashing versions of normal dishes.