Girl (Nearly) 16: Absolute Torture is the third of Sue Limb's books I've read and it might just be my favourite. I continually laughed out loud while reading, and not many authors can make me do that. Aside from Louise Rennison, I'm happy to say that Sue Limb is my queen of contemporary British fiction. Her books are nothing short of hilarious!

In Absolute Torture, Jess Jordan finds herself dragged on holiday to St Ives with her mum and ancient granny. The plan is to visit her dad and scatter her grandfather's ashes along the way, but of course nothing goes to plan. Jess gets plenty of shocks in this story, as did I, though for once I did predict one or two things before they transpired. (Hurrah!)

Fred, Jess's equally funny and dashing boyfriend, features in Absolute Torture a lot, and I would have no complaints if he ever got his own book. Limb's excellent at writing boys as well as girls, and as a result Fred is almost as as funny as Jess. I wish these two were real and had achieved their dream of being stand-up comedians. I'd go and see their shows every night!

Absolute Torture has everything: realistic characters, murder-obsessed grannys, mothers wary of men and laughs aplenty. I read it in one sitting, while simultaneously cursing Sue Limb for making my sides hurt and congratulating her on being so entertaining. Teenage girls need to read this series; actually, they need to read everything this author has written. Not since Georgia Nicolson has a character made me laugh so much, and I am now desperate to read the other books in the series. The saga of Jess Jordan is very highly recommended - you'll be laughing for days!

4.5/5
on 2 April 2005
This book is really good, i got it yesterday i started it at about 7 at night and i had finishd it by 10.30....it was v.gud but not as good as the Girl 15, Charming but Insane...the relationship between Fred and Jess is typical of teenagers...there is a surprise for Jess when she goes to visit her dad. All in all it were a good read and i would recommend it to any teenage girl who enjoys reading.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 November 2008
Welcome back to more crazy adventures of Jess Jordan.

School is out and Jess has nothing more planned than to spend her time with her newly turned boyfriend, Fred. But it doesn't take long before disaster strikes. Of all times, Jess's mom has decided to take a vacation. They're to take a road trip so that Jess can visit her father in St. Ives. They'll stop at all sorts of historical and literary sites along the way. She surprises Jess with the news hours before Fred surprises her with tickets to the Riverdene concert. Typical of Jess's life.

Leaving Fred behind, Jess, her mom, and her dear grandmother (along with her grandfather's ashes) head off on the trip. With intermittent phone and text connections with Fred, Jess's mind starts coming up with far-fetched ideas of his indiscretions. Jess's best friend, Flora, has canceled her vacation when Flora's mom winds up with a broken leg. Earlier in the year Flora was keen on Fred. So leaving the two back home without a chaperone could spell a breakup for Jess.

The trip wouldn't be nearly so bad if it weren't for the timing of it. Jess tells her story with anguish and comedy, leaving the reader in hysterics and wanting to learn more. The reader can tell what is about to happen, but the anticipation of Jess's twisted reality is what makes the story so much fun.

Eventually, they get to St. Ives, where Jess finds out the truth about her parents' divorce and what Fred has really been up to while she's been gone.

This installment of Jess Jordan's life picks up where GIRL, 15: CHARMING BUT INSANE left off. And after reading this, I'm already eager to get my hands on GIRL, GOING ON 17: PANTS ON FIRE. I can't imagine what other situations Jess can manage to get into.

Reviewed by: Jaglvr
on 27 July 2005
I picked this up at the station for something to read on the train and couldn't stop reading it! I loved the first one and was so pleased to see there was a sequel. When Jess gets her surprise visit when she's in St. Ives I just couldn;t stop smiling! all around an excellent book!
on 12 June 2006
'Absolute Torture' is part of a series of books written by Sue Limb. This particular series is written about teenagers for teenages. They are true to life and often the story lines are based around the problems facing most teenage girls.

This particualr book is based around Jess and her family. It involves a typical problem most teenagers and their parents have. Her mom and nan have arranged a holiday to St Ives but like most teenage girls Jess would have prevered to go to a concert with her boyfriend.In the end Jess does go on holiday reluctenly only to find a supprise visit from her dad.

I would reccomned this book for girls around 12-16 who enjoy real life stories.
on 4 October 2007
This has to be the best chick flick book ive read!!!! her other books as the best aswell, hopefulyl she may keep on writing about jess!!!!
on 26 November 2013
For my Grandaughters birthday. She found it great fun.
on 5 September 2005
This book is very well written - definitly as good as the first book ("Girl, 15, Charming But Insane"). An easy, but completely enjoyable read - you won't be dissapointed!
on 27 January 2006
I really loved this book, and have read it countless times. Its really funny and I would rate it as one my favourite books ever!!
on 29 July 2007
This book is fab so far and really hilarious. I would reccomend that girls around the age of 12 - 17 read this because they will particularly enjoy it.