As a novice sea angler I have been looking for a book that provides a wealth of information but is laid out so that I can find the information easily. I have bought one or two other books but they seem to assume a level of knowledge (that I don't have).

Published on 24 May 2010 by Mark Shackelford

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and informative
A good book but let down by the size of font, I am really struggling with it but suppose that's a personal thing, and normally why I buy from book shops
Published 15 months ago by mr m newton

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat book with lots of easily accessible information for the new sea angler, 24 May 2010
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)

This book - leading on from Hugh F-W's recent fishing TV series, is written by one of his chums - the amusingly named "Nick Fisher". I assume that is his real name?

The book carefully goes through the information you need:
When to go - by season, by tide, or by weather
Where to go - the shore, a boat, a pier, a harbour or off rocks
What to catch - a list of the main fish you are likely to come across (Mackerel, Cod, Mullet etc.)
What to use - rods, reels, lines, baits and lures
How to fish - tying knots, casting
What to do next - killing and cooking
And finally ('cos it's a Hugh F-W book) some recipes.

All the sections are clearly laid out, with useful quick look up tables and excellent photographs of the various fish.

To be fair I haven't put this into practice yet - so I can't prove that their information is correct - but having read through the book, I feel that I already have a better understanding of the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Fishing, 10 May 2010
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
I was interested in beginning sea fishing and brought a few books and looked on many websites wanting a basic introduction into the sport and the information in these was at best poor. The river cottage book was just the ticket I was looking for, easy to understand, with diagrams, pictures and a lot of well written prose. It guides you though the basic's to the more complex methods. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 18 Jun 2010
J. Mccallum - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
Just took up shore fishing and needed guidance. This book has everything from catching to cooking. Not complicated in any way
and very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Genuinely Cannot Recommend This Book Enough!, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
I'd done a bit of fishing before, but only when there had been people there who knew what they were doing and could put a rod straight in my hand and tell me what to do.

I made the decision recently to make a proper effort to get into sea fishing, as I live right near the sea and love eating fish. However, this proved harder than I thought it would. A guy in a local shop sold me a rod and reel - apparently all ready to go. But my first attempt did not go well at all, as I quickly realised I still didn't have a clue what I was doing. As helpful as that guy in the shop tried to be, he was still talking in jargon that I didn't understand.

My next stop was the internet. However, every site I found that claimed to be for beginners still assumed some kind of prior knowledge. I wanted a complete beginners guide. An idiots guide, if you like, but without being patronising and smug.

I then started looking for a few books. Yet again, they all either assumed some kind of prior knowledge, or were unable to explain the basic principles clearly. Also, they all seemed to have front covers showing some guy who obviously knows what he's doing proudly holding some huge fish - a terrible idea for a cover in my opinion. Covers are meant to draw you in and connect with what you want. Most people wanting to get into sea fishing just want to have a bit of fun, catch a few tasty fish and cook them up. They don't want prize-winning fighting fish to show off to their mates.

Then I saw this book and thought it looked like exactly what I wanted, and it most certainly was!

Firstly, the cover is lovely, and shows 3 tasty looking mackerel. A fish which any beginner will be very likely to catch - not a huge shark or conger eel as so often dominates covers.

Secondly, it is laid out brilliantly, making it easy to dip in for quick reference after you've read the whole thing.

Thirdly, it's written beautifully. The guy obviously goes fishing for the same reasons that most people would. He loves the sea, he loves eating fish, he loves cooking, and he just enjoys the whole relaxing process.

His tone instantly connects with the reader. No assumptions. No patronising. No boasting about catching huge fish.

He then talks you through the basic principles. Fish behaviour, where and when to fish and why. He explains all the terms which other books seem to assume you know (simple terms like spinner reel, rig and lure are so often chucked in early in other books with no explanation). He talks about the different methods you can use for each type of fish and in each setting, what to do when you catch a fish, and finally how to cook the fish.

I won't go on as I could get boring. Just trust me - this book will turn you from someone who knows absolutely nothing into someone who, whilst isn't the most technically gifted or knowledgable fisherman in the world, at least has the desire and confidence to get out there, try it, and converse with other anglers and shop assistants with confidence. That is exactly what I wanted from a sea fishing book.

Finally, I feel I should mention that since reading this book I have enjoyed some great fishing successes. I've had a few blank sessions, but I've also had a few where I've been able to fill the freezer with yummy fish. That is after all what reading this book is all about, and is probably the best way to quantify its success!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For A Beginner, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
My 14 year old son wanted to go sea fishing on holiday in Cornwall. Neither of us had done any fishing before. This book was the perfect introduction. After reading a few chapters we were equipped to go to a tackle shop and understand what the shopkeeper was talking about. Then when we went fishing and had forgotten all the advice the shopkeeper gave us, it was all there in the book for us to look up. Best of all, when we did catch something, we had full instructions on how to prepare the fish for cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars great catch, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
An absolutely wonderful book at a bargain price. Beautifully proportioned, this book is an aesthetic delight. The content is good too. I bought this book not long after my first beach rod and it has been really useful. The 'introductory' book to sea angling i picked up from the local library first assumed a certain degree of knowledge that i simply didn't have. This deals with all the essentials of catching fish from baits and species to where and when to go and how to fillet, gut or otherwise prepare them for my belly. It's also well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical comprehensive advice, 13 Aug 2010
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
I really like this book and would recomend it. A practical guide to sea fishing focusing on a more lightweight simple aproach, no macho casting 200yrds with 15 foot rods and 6oz weights here. It tells you all you need to know to get started, tackle, rigs, bait, tides, knots.. everything. Also a comprehensive guide on what to eat and how to cook it. I'd say this is the only book you need to buy to set you on your way. and even if you don't end up going fishing it's still an interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars johnty, 3 Jun 2010
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
I wanted to be able to go to sea, catch lots of fish,know what species I was catching, whether they were dangerous or edible, how to kill them humanely, how to gut them and how to cook them. This wonderful book does all of that and more, it is so readable I simply haven't been able to put it down. If you have never fished, if you are a complete beginner or even if you know a bit about what you are doing buy this book!Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook)

5.0 out of 5 stars Phew.....perfect, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
I suggested this book for my husband as a gift from my sister in law. He loves to think he can fish but really apart from clambering around on some rocks and sticking his rod in the water he's pretty clueless. He isn't interested in river fishing and we wanted something which would be perfect for when we go camping.

This is a guide which is easy to dip in and out of and has good practical information and tips.....I might yet end up with a fish or two coming back to eat....I've no interest in fishing but even found i was having fun reading about the different hieghts fish swim at etc.

very good buy.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Sea Fishing River Cottage handbook, 8 Sep 2010
This review is from: Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) (Hardcover)
This book is a must for both a complete novice (like myself) or more advanced fishermen/women alike. Its concisely executed, extremely informative & fun to read. More over it describes the types & behaviour of fish and how to catch, despatch, gut, prepare & cook them which to me has been the most important read of the whole book. Picked it up 3 times & I'm already 3/4's way through the book!! Love it & will share it with my friends.

Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook)
Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook) by Nick Fisher (Hardcover - 3 May 2010)
10.49