5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, down to earth advice from the people who know best
Published on 5 Mar 2010 by SoupDragon

1.0 out of 5 stars Try Babies All Wrapped Up instead
I just didn't a get a comprehensive view from this tome. A bit too fluffy.
Much better was a book I found written by a GP called ' Babies All Wrapped Up.' It felt reassuring to read something practical written by a GP who'd had children. Felt as if she was there with me, not in a freaky way, but just very friendly and informative. If I were to suggest getting...
Published on 29 Sep 2012 by Jenny

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, down to earth advice from the people who know best, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Babies: The Mumsnet Guide: A Million Mums' Trade Secrets (Paperback)
Who should you trust to support you in raising your baby? Mothers who have been there, done that and got the T shirt covered in baby sick. If you're having a problem, chances are someone else has had it too and this book probably has not just THE answer, but several possible answers for you to take your pick from. Parenting is not a one-size-fits-all job so neither is this book.

Covering everything from ravaged nether regions to baby mementos via the chances of the world being run by squirrels, this book will have you sighing in relief, howling with laughter and finally remembering to do your pelvic floor exercises.

If you want real advice from real mothers, choose this book. If you want to strap babies to rockets and fire them over Southern Lebanon, I suggest you choose a different one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mothers know best, 31 Jan 2011
Books containing advice on bringing up babies usually leave me worried and anxious. When my baby was three months old, I read in Jo Frost's book that my baby should be in an established routine by now. I almost cried as my baby was nowhere near anything like a routine. Well, thank god for mumsnet. This book won't tell you what to do or how you should do it - it's not an alternative to books like Gina Ford or the Baby Whisperer. Instead, it contains extracts from different parents who share experiences, give advice, and most of all, reassure. I have found it useful for giving me ideas of how to approach different aspects of looking after my child (e.g. practical advice on weaning, the low down on what to expect at mother-toddler groups). Most of all though, this book is funny. It really is. And being able to laugh at others attempts of getting their baby into a routine at 3 months old is far better than crying over your own (completely normal) situation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for new parents, 5 Mar 2010
R. Walker (Devon) - See all my reviews
I'm pregnant with my second and bought this as a refresher. It covers a wide range of topics (including a lot of things that you can't read about on anywhere else) and offers multiple suggestions for dealing with problems rather than pushing you down any one route as a parent. It is very reassuring to read about the experiences of other mothers and realise that you are not alone. It's also very humorous and I'm sure will be a great help when I'm next up in the middle of the night, desperate for some light relief. The website is a fantastic support but it's great to have so much advice in one place that you can dip into easily when you need to. Highly recommended for any new parents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy even for a second time mum!, 4 Jan 2011
I have been a fan of mumsnet since 2008 when pregnant with my first child. I found the 'talk' sections on the site to be very entertaining, very useful, very reassuring and very accessible for advice of all kinds, so when I saw that they had a book out summarising all the advice mumsnetters had given over the years, I jumped at the chance to buy it for myself. I am now pregnant with my second child and have not had much (any!) time to re-read the baby books, so I bought 'Babies' to read as a refresher and 'Toddlers' to read for tips on dealing with my toddler! Very pleased with both purchases - as with the website; great tips, balanced views and nice summary section after each chapter. I like that original quotes from various mumsnetters have been put in and very much like that the book is written from a mum's/parent's perspective and not that of an 'expert', so you don't feel as if you're parenting skills are being judged. Highly entertaining (laugh-out-loud risk if reading on the train/in public!) and not too long/overwhelming as many baby books can be. All in all, would definitely recommend both/either book(s).

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you will need., 6 Mar 2010
A Raven "Raven" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Forget your Gina Fords/Dr Spocks/Miriam Stoppards because this book is really the only one you need (that is if you need or want a book at all). It's based upon the vast wisdom of hundreds of real parents (mostly mothers but a few Dads too) from Mumsnet. I am a sometimes Mumsnetter (not that often as there is too much else going on) but can testify to good advice, support and humour when it's needed. All this and more has gone into this book and that is what makes it a more human face to parenting a baby than the other "experts" out there. Brilliant. I read it from cover to cover and found it readable and humerous - far more so than some of the books which were around when my 7 year old was tiny. Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A light-hearted and very honest look at life with a baby, 4 Mar 2010
Lucy Nicholls (UK) - See all my reviews
I was up until the early hours reading this book - it made me laugh a lot but was also very (sometimes scarily) honest about having a baby and the effect that it has on your life (and body!). It is light-hearted enough to read even when you haven't slept for days... This book will remind you that you aren't alone, and that like you, millions of women have been up at 3 a.m., rocking a baby and wondering what on earth has happened to them!

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny, 2 Oct 2013
Has kept me company and in stitches through many a long night feeding!! Practical and honest. Its a good read and a far cry from the other regimented baby books.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 19 Aug 2013
Buy this if you don't want to be told what to do, or be patronised as a first time mum. It provides you with a wide variety of opinions and gives enough information to enable you to make an informed choice. It covers everything and also has a lot of humorous anecdotes!
Slight downside is that I sometimes found it hard to find something if I needed the information quickly, but still well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful read for new mums/dads, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Mumsnet: Babies (Kindle Edition)
As a first timer, this provided me with a useful starting point for what to expect. My only criticism is that it still doesn't quite give you in the true picture of how hard the early days can be and the issues with feeding which seem all to common. However, still a great book, funny yet informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version highly recommended, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Mumsnet: Babies (Kindle Edition)
I was not sure whether to buy this as some reviews said it hadn't been formatted for kindle properly, but apart from the odd blank page it's fine and doesn't detract from the book.
Content is good and has lots of different points of view over many subjects.

Babies: The Mumsnet Guide: A Million Mums' Trade Secrets