5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly beautiful. In my top 10 books of the year
In 1974 Phillipe Petite strung a wire between the Twin Towers and for a couple of hours walked in the air between them. The act reverberated through history as the greatest piece of art history ever conceived and forms the vignette around which this complex novel revolves.

The image of the man on the wire haunts the novel, as the characters talk about him,...
Published on 31 Oct 2009 by Mingo Bingo

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting a little bit more...
A series of stories about the intertwined lives of New Yorkers, this book captures the essence of the city. The act that knits these lives together is a high wire walk between the twin towers, yet this momentous feat seemed strangely underplayed. A struggling Irish monk who falls in love, a group of grieving mothers, a huddle of New York prostitutes - the characters...
Published on 22 Aug 2010 by Lucy Talk

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't spin for me., 16 Jun 2011
Conatus (Avoca,Ireland) - See all my reviews
I read this book a year or so ago and had forgotten about it until I noticed it picked up a big Irish literary prize the other day. I found it very uninspiring and couldn't empathise with any of the characters and the ending felt as cliched as a movie you want to fast-forward to reach the credits. Takes all sorts, I suppose, but for me it's nowhere near the expectations raised by the hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars An explosion of emotion that runs thro the whole sroryline., 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Let the Great World Spin (Paperback)
Very well written . a human moving story line that gave me an insight linto lives of people I wouldn't ever otherwise come into contact. Worth reading again.

5.0 out of 5 stars McCann writes a great narrative and elegantly writes it around a significant event ..., 1 Sep 2014
Conor Dooley (Castletroy, Co. Limerick Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let the Great World Spin (Paperback)
Marvellous. McCann writes a great narrative and elegantly writes it around a significant event of the time. All characters eminently believable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull, 20 Aug 2011
This review is from: Let the Great World Spin (Paperback)
I had to read this book for book club, but like many of the reviewers who gave 1 or 2 stars, I disliked the experience. I did not connect with any of the characters and thought them to be flat and uninteresting. What the book did give me was the desire to read more abvout the tight rope walker - the only interesting person in the whole book! Get this book from the libraty and save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent narrative could imagine being there and sad I'd finished ..., 31 Oct 2014
Excellent narrative could imagine being there and sad I'd finished reading it!
Look forward to reading more by the author!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-praised, 21 Aug 2011
C. Vaughan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let the Great World Spin (Paperback)
Bombastic, over-written and cliched. At it's worst, it's rather like the Paul Haggis film, 'Crash'. I am mystified as to why such a stale, airless work has been praised so highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Let the Great World Spin (Paperback)
I once resolved never to be influenced by the plaudits of other writers when buying books. On this occasion I succumbed to the blurbs. Big mistake! The author of this book doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind what he wants to write about. The book begins with the famous tightrope walk between the twin towers. (The tightrope walker makes his appearance on several other occasions throughout the book - for the life of me I can't think why) Next we meet two Irish brothers one of whom joins some kind of religious order which has as its aim to aid the hookers and the needy. From there the book grinds tediously on to its unsatisfactory and inconclusive end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great NYC Novel, 29 Sep 2011
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Let the Great World Spin (Paperback)
Having been superficially attracted to this book via the 'Man on Wire' cover (itself a magnificent documentary film), it became clear that the focus of the book was much wider than the high-wire exploits of Monsieur Petit. In fact, I consider this one of the outstanding 'New York novels', along with Paul Auster's sublime New York Trilogy and Don DeLillo's epic Underworld.

McCann develops a number of utterly believable characters (priests, prostitutes, etc) and paints a very convincing picture of modern day New York City, with its attendant tragedy and pathos. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Classics of the Future, 13 Sep 2014
Such a clever writer.
Beautifully written.

1.0 out of 5 stars My wife read it did not like, 28 Oct 2014
My wife read it did not like it

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Let the Great World Spin
Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann (Paperback - 5 July 2010)