5.0 out of 5 stars Book club
I read this book while on a world cruise on Cunard. The reading club met once a week and discussed the book. I have never done that before and found quite exciting to be able to give my impression of this book.
Published 18 months ago by CarolB

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap trick! Incomplete!!!
as Ursula's review points out, there is "no ending" to this book, it just drops off. others have mentioned boredom & shallowness starting around when the sisters settle down with their american family. all this is because, we now know!, around that point the author (or her agent) apparently got the bright idea to CONTINUE THE STORY IN ANOTHER BOOK, "Dreams of Joy,"...
Published on 23 Feb. 2012 by Zangiku

5.0 out of 5 stars Shanhai Girls, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Kindle Edition)
Shanghai was a lovely book to read - I coildn't put it down. - I loved it so much that I bought the follow up 'Dreams of Joy'.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Kindle Edition)
Wow after reading 'Snow Flower and the Secret Fun' this was an excellent book to read soon after thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasant surprise., 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Kindle Edition)
A was a bit skeptical during the first chapter or two, then I was hooked. Great way to re-learn that part of history. Had to go on to the second book "Dream of Pearl". Really enjoyed them both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 Oct. 2011
Giovanna Maria Saba "Giogio" (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, took me back to Shanghai, I heard the noise of it's streets, smelt it, and then I found myself in Chinatown in America, in his streets.
Now reading the sequence.
Lisa See is a great writer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great historical fiction, 21 Oct. 2010
Mr. Colin A. Jacobs (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Kindle Edition)
having read Asian literature before it was a change to read about two sisters who left China during the war (WWII) to arrive in the USA and the problems, sibling rivalry and the way the chinese got into America and how the family of May and Pearl lived and survived in this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Kindle Edition)
Moving and excellent, how people and relationships twist and change as circumstances change. I read the sequel first, not realising this book precedes it, which strangely enough added an extra layer of depth when meeting the younger pearl and May.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book, 8 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Paperback)
I loved this book. Very different to other books by Lisa See, but still a fantastic story. Yet again the story is not quite what you expect which is what I like about it. Great story telling, great detail,just another brilliant book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 29 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Kindle Edition)
Not as good as some of her other novels......bit dull in parts and depressing in others. Having said that, Lisa See is quickly becoming a favourite author for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me hooked all the way through although I did ..., 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Kindle Edition)
Kept me hooked all the way through. The end makes you re-evaluate your opinions of the characters. Looking forward to reading the next one in series. Dreams of Joy

5.0 out of 5 stars Lisa See fans won't be disappointed, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Shanghai Girls (Paperback)
I'm a sucker for Asian based fiction and this does not disappoint- well written and likable characters. Would recommend, along with Lisa See's other books!

Shanghai Girls
Shanghai Girls by Lisa See (Paperback - 5 July 2010)