Ben Wicks was one of Canada's favourite political cartoonists. I suppose we loved him mostly because he was an Englishman, so he could look at our foibles more objectively than we could, and we could see ourselves through English eyes. Mavis and BillBen Wicks Canada He was so funny, and he had us, our gripes and our governments, down so pat.

But here, in this...
Published on 31 July 2010 by microfiche

2.0 out of 5 stars No Time to Wave Goodbye
This book of extracts of letters from evacuees is poignant. It contains some little publicised information on conditions and treatment received
by the children as well as commentaries by them as adults on their feelings.
Some reminiscences are identical or in fact are repeated which detracted from the essential for me.
Published on 23 Nov. 2010 by Mary W. Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars A Poignant Memoir of the Evacuation of Urban Children in World War II, 31 July 2010
microfiche (Scarborough, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Time to Wave Goodbye (Paperback)

But here, in this book and the following, is what in my opinion should make him Your National Treasure as well as ours. The Day They Took the Children: Illustrated Personal Memories of Britain's 3, 500, 000 Evacuees, Welcome Home, Waiting for the All Clear: True Stories from Survivors of the Blitz,When the boys came marching home : true stories of the men who went to war and the women and children who took them back, Promise You'll Take Care of My Daughter, Nells war: Remembering the blitz Nell was Ben's mother, and Ben was a child evacuee from London to the countryside. He didn't stay there long, but it had an effect on him that lasted throughout his life.

Most books about the British home front were written by Britons to Britons How We Lived Then: A History of Everyday Life During the Second World War, The People's War: Britain, 1939-45. They are very good books. I've learned a lot from them. But these are special to me because Ben Wicks was like our friend and neighbour, and these books were the record of his discovery of what his family, what his home country, went through during his childhood. In a way, he was telling us, his neighbours who had never been bombed out or slept in a bomb-shelter or were parted from mum as well as dad 'for the duration', all the joys and sorrows of a wartime childhood. He collected the memories of other evacuees and their mothers, of the mums and kids to stuck together, of what it was like to have Dad away fighting, and how hard it was to adjust to him when he returned. These books were written with the sensitivity of a person who lived through his fears and bewilderment over what was going on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Those were the days, 30 July 2010
B. Young (sunderland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Time to Wave Goodbye (Paperback)
An excellent book which brought back many memories of wartime and the way people helped one another in those difficult times.

4.0 out of 5 stars NO TIME TO SAY GOODBYE, 10 Oct. 2010
This review is from: No Time to Wave Goodbye (Paperback)
WHAT BAN EXCELLENT BOOK FOR BOTH THOSE WHO LIVED THRO THE WAR AND THOSE WITH AN HISTORICAL INTEREST.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evacuee experiences, 16 April 2011
Ahh Green (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Time to Wave Goodbye (Paperback)
A very detailed account of the experiences of many evacuees and those who also experienced the bombing during world war two. It brought back many memories of my childhood but did not include the experiences of those who were evacuated with my brother and myself. I didn't see the newspaper advertisement that asked for such experiences. The accounts written in the book make excellent reading and I congratulate the author for the effort taken in collating the information that he did receive.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Time to Wave Goodbye, 23 Nov. 2010
Mary W. Evans (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Time to Wave Goodbye (Paperback)
by the children as well as commentaries by them as adults on their feelings.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: No Time to Wave Goodbye (Paperback)
This is a great item and I would most certainly recommend it to others.
It is worth every penny paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Feb. 2015
Andrea (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very quick delivery and as described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Mar. 2015
Trevor Holmes "gaviman" (mayenne) - See all my reviews
Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd hand books, 20 Sept. 2013
Good value for money. The condition of the book was far better than expected. Do not have six more words!!!!!

No Time to Wave Goodbye
No Time to Wave Goodbye by Ben Wicks (Paperback - 3 Aug. 2009)