5.0 out of 5 stars Single Trap
Published on 5 Sept. 2010 by Angel A

3.0 out of 5 stars May help the 'experinced' more
Published 8 months ago by Sal

5.0 out of 5 stars Single Trap, 5 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Single Trap: The Two-Step Guide to Escaping it and Finding Lasting Love (Paperback)
For those people who seem to either go out with the same type of person all the time without success, or repeat mistakes in their relationships without knowing this book helps to shed welcome light on how and why. If you are interested in understanding the connections in your life at a greater level whilst also learning more about yourself and how you operate, give this a read. My copy is now on a round robin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on relationships that I have ever read, 11 Nov. 2009
This is the best book on relationships I have ever read (and I have read a lot!). It is not a book about 'dating', which is a real positive, as many books I have read about male/female relationships are about 'how to play the game'. This book is about being comfortable with yourself and being ready for a relationship. When you are ready, it advises on the best way of meeting (and recognising)someone else in a similar space. There is little point in trying to form a relationship until you are both in the right place - sounds obvious, but I am sure a lot of us having wasted time trying to make relationships work when the timing is wrong for one party.
The book is practical and pragmatic, with lots of examples of individuals of different ages and in different circumstances (divorced, children, widowed etc). I found the fact that it was written someone who lives in the UK meant that it was much easier to relate than some of the very US-centric books on relationships I have read. Having said that, the advice would benefit anyone from anywhere across the globe.
The book is very well written. I can't recommend it enough - I couldn't put it down. Thank you Andrew Marshall - I wish I had read this book ten years ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars A broad view of things, 6 Jun. 2012
The author is compassionate and experienced and has thought long and hard about why there are so many long-term single people. He puts it down to an excessively individualistic society, which as a reader can stop you personally feeling completely inadequate about your single status.

My favourite bit of the book is about 'mixing' i.e. how to meet lots of new people while doing things that you find meaningful. This is a real antidote to the cynicism of online dating. It seems to me you can learn through mixing how to be a member of a community, which is what people were more in the old days. This then keeps you happier while you look for love. Hopefully when you find love finally you don't just just sink into being one of a pair and ignore everyone else, and you manage to still have communities and groups as part of your life!

3.0 out of 5 stars May help the 'experinced' more, 22 Sept. 2014
Sal (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Gave me a few things to think about but concentrated mainly on your past and how to not make the same mistakes again. You need to have been in LOTS of relationships and have parents that are alive to be able to complete the activity's. If, like me, you have spent your adult life with one person and are just wondering how to start dating and get out of the single trap it's a pretty pointless read as everything is about comparison or previous relationships. I cannot compare where 'I went wrong' or what likenesses previous partners have had, I have only had one relationship. I cannot confront my parents about my childhood issues as they are dead and I don't have siblings.

I want to read more about how to date. I want to know how it works, when to ask the important questions and when is ok to hope for more without scaring a potential new partner off. After a couple of dates and you stop hearing from the other person help me understand why, what to ask and how to put it. Is it ok to ask or does it make you look desperate when really you are just disappointed. How long do you give it to wait and find out if there has been some family disaster and that is why they don't reply before you just go back to the 'another one isn't interested'. Dating is not fun. it is just plain stressful!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding yourself-and your partners, 8 Feb. 2012
You may actually have a sorted love life-but this book will show you how your partner's and your own family upbringing have created a set of conditions that can make things work-or be a disaster waiting to happen...It's readable and chatty, unashamedly anecdotal-but Andrew's experience and compassion make every word ring true, and it's backed by research when needed. Like me, you will recognise yourself and your lovers in its pages, and find a solution or at least an analysis of your problems

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good in Places But Occasionally Flawed by Psychobabble, 1 Mar. 2013
Mr. P. Sethna - See all my reviews
The book offers an honest and for the most part refreshingly sensible insight into the condition of being "single". Mr Marshall is a Relate Counsellor and so is intimately acquainted with issues surrounding relationships and also those people who struggle to find love. Therefore the first half of the book concentrates on the issues, the "whys and wherefores" of how people come to find themselves in "The Single Trap". The second half then goes on to consider the practicalities of meeting people. So far so good.

Unfortunately, the author occasionally intersperses his mostly sensible arguments with dated Freudian ideas such as "projection" which are neither peer reviewed nor have empirical evidence. (Psychobabble!) This tarnishes what is otherwise a good book. (I am counsellor in training myself.)

Overall then, "The Single Trap" is to be recommended, but please don't take everything it says at face value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tender and insightful, 11 Feb. 2009
Ms. C. E. Taylor "Chris" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Andrew G Marshall has written a tender and insightful account of a modern dilemma - what keeps so many of us single. Not only that, he clearly signposts routes that can lead us out of the "Single Trap" and on to successful and lasting relationships. A beautifully well written and un-put-downable read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Book and the author, 3 Feb. 2014
very good book from an excellent author . I highly recommend all his books for the different situations in relationships. it is very powerful and extremely helpful for people needing improvement to relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book twice!, 14 Sept. 2013
Recently decided to read this book again & I loved it the second time. However, I was disappointed that it didn't include a chapter of children who had lost a parent through death. It would helped me understand my childhood a lot better if a chapter had been included in this otherwise helpful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Single Trap., 8 Feb. 2009
Excellent book. The gist is that if you can recongize that you're in it, you can escape from it. The thing to be aware of is that there are two steps to getting out of it. Following the authors instructions, it should not be that difficult. I thought this singles book was one of the better ones I've read. I would recommend it, along with Dating Sense: The Practical Way to Meet, Date and Marry the Right Person.

The Single Trap: The Two-Step Guide to Escaping it and Finding Lasting Love