5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, scary and a great new read

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Published 3 months ago by Catherine Horner

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, scary and a great new read, 26 Aug 2009
A Kid's Review
My school read the first in this series Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles and the author came to talk to us about it, which was a very good event. We all loved him. I had an advance copy from a bookseller friend of my Dad's as he knew I how much liked the first. This one is just as good. Paris is saved from a bullying mayor through Madeleine's search through time where Madame Pamplemousse and Camembert her fierce cat have disappeared in order to find the strange foods that will finally save Paris and bring back happiness. What I like about Rupert Kingfisher's books is that they are easy to read but never talk down to children. I feel the author is very much on a child's wave length which all the best children's writers are.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way to Time Travel, 1 Nov 2009
Madeleine is a young girl with an exceptional talent for cooking who lives with her new family in a restaurant in Paris. Since her adventures with the extraordinary Madame Pamplemousse, the inventor of the most incredible edible ever, life has really improved for the budding cook. One day however a woman sent from the President of France appears at her door and threatens to arrest her if she does not reveal the location of Madame Pamplemousse. It turns out that the President hates the happy atmosphere of Paris and is intent on destroying it. For this the government needs the ingredients of the Incredible Edible with which they will control the population of the Capital. Madeleine must go on the run and is soon propelled back into the past by the owner of the Time Travelling Café in order to help Madame Pamplemousse gather the illusive ingredients for a concoction that will save Paris.

The Time Travelling Café is the second adventure for Madeleine and her friends. There is something of an old fashioned fairytale to this book with plenty of magical beasts from the Sphinx to the Loch Ness monster but it has a modern twist with the invention of time travelling coffee machine. The attention to detail is what lifts the story and keeps the reader interested but it also gives the book some humorous moments as well as its most imaginative ones. Every reader would surely want to taste some of Madame Pamplemousse's edibles once they had heard of Triceratops Tail with Garlic, Peppered Dragon spit or Kraken Tentacle with Rose-Petal Jam! The book is full of wonderful elements such a these and coupled with some of the strange creatures, amongst which is the amazing cat Camembert, this will be a great favourite with many children. How could it not be when the main character gets drooled on by a dinosaur before being whisked swinging through the trees by a cat with an eye patch?

The illustrations are few but charming and best of all the beautiful paper cover that comes with the hardback version the book beautiful visually and encourage it to be a favourite. Madame Pamplemousse's adventures could easily one day become a classic in every young child's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a movie, 21 Sep 2009
I am on an extended stay in the UK and used the first in this series Madame Pamplemousse and the Incredible Edibles' with my class of 8-9 year-olds back in the US. They just adored it, so I was glad to try this one out on my eight years old Brit niece. She is not a great reader being more math orientated but immediately loved the quirky Madame P, her fearless side-kick Camembert but best of all the time travelling which she saw as part of a quantum universe (what they teach the kids here seems awesome!) and its facility for revisiting the word of T. Rex and the quite heart-breaking Sphinx by way of taste. She has had some tough times herself so I think there was the identification with the heroine, Madeleine, which always grabs kids' imagination.

I have one question for the publishers. Why no movie? This is great movie material being both simple in storyline and rich in character and inventive in context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quantum froth!, 21 Sep 2009
Excellent, intelligent, joyful nonsense. Will delight kids of any age while containing a bedrock of genuine ideas so often lacking from modern childrens literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and enchanting, 24 Sep 2009
Ms. J. Burke (London) - See all my reviews
I have read the previous book and didn't think I would be able to enjoy this one as much...but I did! This one is not just a story about time travelling but it has a lot of different levels to it - political, spiritual, psychological etc.
It is such a magical story, a real page turner. I would love to be able to write like this and recommend it to everyone, young and old. It reminds you what can be acheived if you use your imagination.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 16 Sep 2014
I really enjoyed the other two books but this one was not nearly so good. I was really looking forward to reading this one, but I didn't enjoy it as much. It didn't really get you really excited enough. I would say read the other two first (number 1 is Madame pamplemousse and her incredible edibles). They are much more exciting and I would definitely recommend those to you. I hope this review was helpful to you.

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'Read-to-Children' Story About Extraordinary Events, 28 Dec 2010
Mr T Niwa (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madame Pamplemousse and the Time-Travelling Cafe (Paperback)
This children's story really didn't capture my imagination as I expected it to. The storyline was interesting but I would have preferred a longer novel with more in-depth character and setting development. This probably has more to do with my own personal tastes in children's literature so don't let that put you off wanting to read this.

The shortness of the story (I read this quickly one night in about an hour) would suggest that it might be suitable for readers who are around 7-9 years old but as a teacher I found a lot of the words that were used unsuitable for the average child of that age to read independently (i.e. euphorically, subatomically, malevolence, gastronomic). This book might best be read aloud to children around that age group with parents/teachers/grandparents creating discussions along the way about the plot and some of the words used, to help aid their understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars My ten year old is an excellent reader so she had devoured this in around an ..., 26 Nov 2013
My ten year old is an excellent reader so she had devoured this in around an hour and a half. That said it is very well written and she loved it and has asked for the rest of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read for 7 yr old!, 15 Sep 2013
M. Line (UK) - See all my reviews
We love these books. The first one we read was Madame Pamplemousse and her most incredible edible. Incredible edible sets the scene really but you can read time travelling cafe and still understand the characters and story.
I was looking for a transitional book to promote self reading for my 7yr old daughter with incredible edible. We still read to each other as well. It was so good we got this book - time tavelling cafe and are waiting to read enchanted sweet shop.
Time travelling cafe is full of surprises and a bit nail biting in places. As in our other reviews our one chapter a night sometimes turned into two because we couldn't wait to find out what was coming next.
This book was great for bed time reading either me to her or visa versa. What was really great was that if she has started to pick the book up and read it to herself! Thank you Rupert Kingfisher.

3.0 out of 5 stars Preferred the other 2 books in series as did daughter, 15 May 2013
The book would probably suit older readers better, however I bought it as our 5 year old enjoyed me reading the other 2 books to her, which she received as gifts. The vocabulary and themes are more grown up but it did prompt her to ask lots of questions about Paris and overall she could keep up with what was happening. She didn't like this book as much as the others however and said it was a bit boring!

Madame Pamplemousse and the Time-Travelling Cafe
Madame Pamplemousse and the Time-Travelling Cafe by Rupert Kingfisher (Paperback - 2 Aug 2010)