5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teenage Writing
Witch Child is a gripping, harrowing read from author Celia Rees. I bought this as a Christmas present for my younger sister, and when she'd finished reading it, she insisted that I read it also. And I'm glad I did.
Published on 25 Mar 2004 by J. Cronin

3.0 out of 5 stars Witch Child Rewiew
Witch Child is a spooky,gripping and interesting book which makes you want to carry on reading till the very end.
Set in the 1600s, with a girl called Mary, who is a witch. After her Grandmother (who is also a witch) gets found out and hanged, Mary has to go and live in America.
Meeting new friends all the way this epic journey will keep you gripped, even if...
Published on 14 July 2003 by Sally McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teenage Writing, 25 Mar 2004
J. Cronin "dudara" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
Set in the aftermath of Cromwell, Mary has seen her grandmother tortured and hung in front of her eyes on the accusation of witchcraft. Mary hoever, is rescued and sent to the New World, America, on board a ship of Puritan pilgrims. She does her best to hide her past and avoid drawing suspicion on herself, but secrets will out.
A great read, covering a truly tragic period in history when thousands of women (and men) were horribly murdered for no reason. You'll feel the emotions Mary feels as author Rees skillfully weaves the story. A thoroughly recommended book for young teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brief outline of this fanastic book, 26 Sep 2001
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I recieved Witch Child as a 15th Birthday present and was a bit anxious about the content. My sister had heard of it and meant to buy it so I reluctantly read the first couple of pages and was immediatly addicted to it. I found the struggle of the young witches life abosorbing and deep. I felt as though I really knew Mary and i felt as though I was in the story watching over her. I pictured the environment Mary described so well. I think that Celia Rees has captured an amazing tail of voyage and discovery. I found it interesting the way Rees has described the medicines and such and I compare it to the modern world. I would recommend this to anyone betwee the ages of 13-19 years old. I feel it is a real eye-opener as to how early civilians set up living in America.

5.0 out of 5 stars claustraphobic chiller about hatred and bigotry, 3 Jun 2001
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
Right, crawl inside my brain and remain there and witness, see, think, feel, smell, swallow every thing I do. Cast yourself back 400 odd years to the times of good old religeous persecution in England. Your Gran gets burnt you hobble in the cold to a ship, you get on board, exist in squallor with umpteen other refugees and finally land in the good ol' USA. Guess what its even worse there than it is in England........this tiny brave little girl endires it all and more and keeps going......when you read this tale you'll be transported along with her, Thumbs up to Celia Rees for hitting the nail on the head.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Fantastic book!, 6 Jan 2002
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It is the best I have ever read and I read alot.
It is a gripping tale, when you read it you become Mary, you know her emotions, you know how she thinks, its amazing. I enjoyed also the history behind it as it's all very intesting!
I would recomed this book to anyone! especially people interested in Witchcraft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and keeps you hooked!, 23 Mar 2002
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
Witch Child is such a good book, I'd wake up before school to finish it. It starts out with Mary descibing how the Englishmen took her Grandmother away, trying to prove she was a witch. The history books never really tell you how the accusers went about doing this, but you certainly find out here. Everything is through Mary's eyes, and you can practically feel the details that are described to you. As you meet one after another amazing characters that have such an impact on Mary, you begin to get an idea of what's going to happen. When Mary and Jaybird's friendship begins to bud, you think about what will happen should they be discovered. And then when Mary's accused of witchcraft, it's hard to think about what may happen to her. The only bad thing about the book is that it ends without any idea of what's going to happen next. Thank goodness Celia Rees wrote a sequel to Witch Child and you can continue to read about Mary's interesting story. I strongly recomend this book and hope that you like it as much as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing, heart warming story, 12 Aug 2006
Cassandra Fleming "Cas" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I loved this book! I found it a heart warming story that never fails to delight me (even though I have read it at least 7 times!) This book is easy to get into and very hard to put down. However, I found the ending dissapointing because it ends on a cliffhanger (I like happy endings!) I have also reacently finished reading the sequel Sorceress, which, although I loved found it a harder book to get into because it had a long begining. Sorceress tells what happens to Mary after she leaves the town in the first book and the ending is defiatly worth sticking too. Both these books are great reads and I would recommend it to any one of any ablility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Atmospherifc, 12 April 2002
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
This book really captured the essence of what life was like at the time in which this book is set. Celia rees has created a very strong and real carachter in Mary and makes you feel like you really know her. There is a lot of very powerful well structured writing in the book and you are left hanging onto every word even at the very end of the book. I was left awestruck and desperate for more at the end. All in all i would say this is a fantastic story told superbly by a BRILLIANT writer. I will reccomend it to everyone I know and get the sequel at once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witch Child, 20 Nov 2002
Miss S K J Plant (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
Well what can i say about a book this good?
It had me gripped from start to finish & i thought that it was totally real until i looked at the website.
Mary is a great character & this writer writes this book as seen through her own eyes.
This book appeals to all ages (im 22), so dont be put off that it is a childrens book.
The story unfolds like you will never know & i urge you to read this book with great haste or you will regret that you didnt read it sooner!

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent, compelling book, 13 Sep 2003
This review is from: Witch Child (Paperback)
I loved this book. It's thoughtful and extremely well-written. The description is so vivid that the story comes to life in front of your eyes. I could picture every small detail, and loved the way it was set out as a diary, which seemed to make it more personal and easy to relate to. It shows the way many people hated witches becasue they were different, rather like racism today. I found it very interesting, and I read it all in one go, as I couldn't put it down once I had begun. Recommended to anyone over the age of about 13.

5.0 out of 5 stars A COMPELLING STORY EXPRESSIVELY READ, 19 July 2001
By A Customer
This compelling and sometimes heartbreaking story is given an indelible reading by British actress Jennifer Ehle. A Tony Award winner for her performance in "The Real Thing, " she also appeared on Broadway with Alan Cumming in "Design For Living." Miss Ehle's expressive voice adds dramatic resonance to an already commanding narrative. Set in 1659, "Witch Child" is the story of young Mary Newbury, the granddaughter of a witch. Mary witnesses the torture and death of her adored grandmother and fears for her future until she is offered sanctuary across the ocean in America.
However, upon arrival on these shores Mary discovers that she is among not only strangers, but people who fear and hate. She must disguise herself as a devout Puritan or imperil her life.
Celia Rees, who is described as an "aficionado of the supernatural" has recreated a time when being different was not tolerated and brought it to vivid life through the fictional diary of Mary Newbury.

Witch Child
Witch Child by Celia Rees (Paperback - 4 April 2009)